73 comments

Romance Drama Fiction

When I sat down on a golden-stained wood park bench, my once-usual one with the backing of wrought iron ivy branches intertwined like amorous bodies in the throes of passion, I never expected a single sight to sucker-punch me in the heart. No, I had no idea that settled down by this cheery playground, I'd observe the convex blooms of daffodil the colour of lemons in clumps on the grass suddenly leaving an acrid burn on my parched tongue, that I'd be powerless as a moment of relaxation in my hometown's pocket park transformed into my own soul hung upside-down, like I were on the monkey bars. All I could do was watch helplessly and breathlessly whilst I observed familiar dark burgundy waves, as indelible in my mind as they were when she slid away from my life two and a half decades ago, float their way across towards the gleaming climbing frame. My desert of a throat could only barely whimper when I attempted to cry her name.


“Michelle”


She didn’t look back, but even from my seat, I could clearly make out the profile of her face. Her high, prominent, patrician cheekbones still gave her the air of a fox delicately lifting its head to the powdery falling winter snow. Thin, invisible scrawls radiated from her beaming mouth, souvenirs of moments of joy – both those I’ve witnessed and those I’ve not seen. Her dazzling, deep aquamarine eyes still resembled the placid lake next to which was a wood and rope swing, the one where she and I had spent lazy summer afternoons talking about Leo Tolstoy, Leon Russell, and life.


“Michelle,” I bellowed again, this time with more power.


She turned around and studied my face, now scarlet from yelling. As soon as her large blue orbs gazed into mine, her mouth flew open in surprise.


“Dan? Is that really you,” she asked breathlessly, almost like a whispered prayer.


“No one else.”


“It’s so good to see you here. You have no idea.”


She deftly walked over to me and immediately enveloped me in her arms. Her proximity to me filled my lungs with that pleasant, fresh perfume of white tea and ginger that had always intoxicated me twenty-five years ago, an aroma that made my pulse ping-pong inside me at that very moment.


“I…I was afraid you wouldn’t recognise me,” I sputtered out.


“Oh, Dan, that’s impossible,” she responded before pausing. From this close, I saw her aquamarine eyes free a solitary, timid teardrop. “You know I’ll always remember those hazel green peepers.”


For five minutes, we just stood there lost in our own thoughts, tangled as children’s limbs on a jungle gym, not knowing all that time passed without a single word spilt out into the air. Suddenly, in my periphery, I spotted a pair of rubber tire swings painted a jovial marigold. A vine of a grin crept on my face whilst my head whirled to the woman I once called my best friend.


“Hey, do you want to? For old time’s sa…”


“I thought you’d never ask,” she replied, breaking into a sunshiny smile that made my insides revolve like a merry-go-round. She bit her lower lip, as if she were nibbling on a ripe and juicy peach.


“Well, there is one thing missing,” I declared.


“I have some beer in the car. I just came from the supermarket."


“That’s perfect!”


“You know who’s…,” Michelle trailed, her face crumpling before stopping her sentence. “Never mind. I’ll get it. ”


Watching her take step after gazelle-like step, her ethereal salmon dress clinging on her toned legs as she strode, I imagined the prominent flipbook in my mind --- the one that’s been stored in there for over two decades, the one full of pictures of my seventeen year-old school friend and her marine eyes scintillating as she discussed another film she loved in this very playground whilst we glided up and down in the air on the old, rusty metal platforms attached on chains --- being opened once again.


“Does she even know...," I susurrated to myself whilst my mind continued playing a million images of Michelle's signature ponytail swaying in the breeze whilst giggling on a swing.


“I’m back, Dan,” Michelle’s melodious voice hummed, her oceanic orbs on my hazel ones. “Shall we…?”


“With all the pleasure in the world. Really,” I responded, my stomach seesawing and flipping at the word “pleasure”.


As we made our way to the swing set and cracked open the aluminium cans, I felt my insides turn into talcum sand in a box, both gently and rapidly at the same time. I sensed my eyes dart towards Michelle’s fox-like face every few seconds, two balls tethered to the pole of her regal presence. When we reached the apparatus, I tried to open my mouth, attempted to release even a drop from the floodgates of my soul, but it felt rusted shut like the gate to an old playground.


“Michelle, I…”


“Oh no,” she exclaimed as a paperback with pristine ecru pages flew out of her coral handbag and onto the dewy grass. I picked it up from the ground and beamed when I saw the two sisters in sumptuous 18th Century garb, their copper hair slightly wild.


“You still love ‘Sense and Sensibility’ after all these years, aye,” I teased.


“After 25 years, yes,” she managed to say through a head tipped back from chuckling heartily. “How can I not love it, though? The restrained, slow burn romance between Edward and Elinor is just captivating.”


“I know. I still remember you discussing that book all the time with me when we were on the swings back then.”


“It’s a great novel, though, I mean…”


“Elinor and Edward are proof that you can find passion despite the strict mores of society,” I stated in unison with her, which made her cock an eyebrow in confusion before breaking into a symphony of a laugh.


"Your favourite quip," I commented.


“I guess I’m as predictable as I was in secondary school, am I not. Ha!"


“Well, there was one instance I wished you….” I muttered before stopping myself, straining as I gripped on the chain on my swing. “I..don’t think you’re predictable, Michelle. Just dependable. Very dependable.”


She lifted her aquamarine eyes and stared at me.


“Is…that a good thing?”


I felt my breath catch at the question. Throughout our twelve-year friendship, Michelle’s responsible nature, sturdy as the steel on a play area's climbing frame, had always served her well. She often walked to the swing we earmarked as our meeting place resplendent in gold medals. Indeed, her dependability had been fantastic.


However, it was anything but splendid when it came to...


“Yes, yes, it is,” I answered, my stomach sliding down. “I mean you were always elected prefect for a reason.”


“Well, I guess,” she uttered, her blue gaze focusing on her rose-coloured wedged heels. She smoothed her skirt with a delicate hand for a minute before looking back at me, her face now a joker card of mischief.


“Though, I’ll have you know, Dan, that Little Miss Prefect sometimes takes a change of clothing, some dry shampoo, and bottles of water in her car so she can camp out overnight and be the first in the queue at Blackwell’s bookshop. Oh yes!"


“You? Michelle Alexandra Addlington," I droned, cajoling her. Of course, I couldn't quite force my mouth to mention...


"You're the girl who colour-coded the notes you took in class. You would willingly let your hair go greasy? I mean, sure, it’s for literature, but really? Impossible!"


“Oh, haha, Daniel Frederick Grayling, yes, I would if a particular title really interested me, especially when this certain author, whose work I adore, releases something new.”


“And who, pray tell, is the lucky novelist whose tomes get to grace your shelves? The one who makes you do preposterous things like queue up overnight?”


“Well….uhm. Well, you, Dan,” she sputtered out, her aquamarine orbs peering into mine. “I’ve always bought your books as soon as they’re out...Uhm, just so you know."


All verbal prowess I possessed careened away from me in that instant. All I managed to let out was a pathetic moan as Michelle sunk her pearly whites on her peachy bottom lip once more and cupped my brawny hand in her elegant palms.


“Look, Dan, I’ve always told you I admired your writing and that I knew you would create bestsellers. That’s never changed. I still love... your work. Especially now."


“I…I don’t know what to say, Michelle,” I whimpered, gazing at her pelagic eyes. “Thank you. You didn’t have to.”


“But how else am I going to support a dear friend?”


“A dear…friend,” I repeated as my mind spun on a merry-go-round anew. I forced my facial muscles to form a smile, even one as thin as a twig. Apparently, it was enough to mask the thrashing of my heart for she beamed back at me and retrieved a copy of my latest book from her pink purse.


“Do you mind signing this, Dan,” she queried me. “I…I just want something from my mate, the one who became a hotshot writer, the one who once upon a time, let me read his tales first.”


“If it were up to me, you’d get more than…,” my mouth vomited. I clutched on the swing chains yet again as a way to stop myself, an attempt to calm the tempest in my soul. “Michelle, I’d love to. Anything for you."


“Great!”


She slid over the tome to my lap. As she extended her hand, the inescapable sparkle of a white gold band with small pave diamonds on Michelle’s left ring finger pierced my eyeballs…as well as my innermost core.


“How’s Richard,” I managed to formulate as I attempted to sweep away the image of the society page photo I stumbled upon two decades ago of my secondary school best friend in an ethereal white dress and a cathedral-length veil slapping me across the face internally.


“He’s…He’s okay,” Michelle answered, her eyes glued to the grass yet again. “He’s at an architect’s conference in New York this week.”


“Okay, uhm, I want to ask…”


“Want to ask what?”


“I want to ask,” my neurons only barely managed to fire out into my brain. “Uhm, how is he like as a…?”


“He...he makes me feel... safe," she stated, her smile only a wafer.


“And…uh….is that why you love him? I mean I never thought back then you'd hurtle into marrying someone a mere four years after leaving school. He must be such a great catch."


“He makes me feel safe. He's...nice, solid," Michelle responded, her blue eyes' attention sliding quickly towards the acid yellow daffodils on the opposite end of the playground, the same ones she had always taken five minutes to admire during our school days. "At least, that's what everyone told me. I'm...content."


"And heard? Inspired," I followed up, my musings barreling out of my mouth as if on a slide. "Does he make you feel like home...you know like you told me I...sorry."


"Well...," she sighed. "Besides, my dad had to retire early, and the design firm...you know the drill."


“Then, why did you…?”


I watched Michelle’s shoulders heave up and down, almost bouncing like a toy horse on a spring. From my spot, I noticed her aquamarine irises glistening with fresh tears.


“Look, you’re a writer, Dan. You know very well how important words are, that you can’t assume something unless there's actual verbal confirmation,” she stated. “It was easier to say yes to what was sure. I would have chosen differently if..."


"If?"


"If...," she said. Next to her, I could see her mince her response until it was finer than sand. "Well, if you...I mean do you....?"


"Do I...what?"


I observed her gripping the silky material of her dress, her knuckles turning a stark white, before lifting her fox-like face towards me.


"No, never mind. You probably don't," she suspired. Teardrops formed like an April shower in the sky of her blue eyes.


The merry-go-round in my spirit twirled once more at her declaration. However, for the very first time ever, my mind’s eye saw it as something more colossal than shiny new play equipment is to a toddler: a turbine, a source of power to finally let words I’ve guarded for a quarter of a century be as free as a child at play.


“Michelle, look, I'm sorry it took twenty-five years. I’ve waited for so long to tell you this but I lo…”


Ring ring!     


Both of us stared the vibrating mobile phone in Michelle’s handbag. As she fished it out, I noticed her entire body slump, like a little one tired from an entire day of running.


"I'll have to get that."


"Of course."


From right next to her, I watched Michelle's tremoring finger slide across the screen displaying a photo of an adolescent girl with Richard's stick-straight chestnut hair and cocoa eyes.


“Hello? Yes, honey? Kaylie’s family had a bit of an emergency, and they can’t drop you home? Oh…okay, well, I’ll come. Give me twenty minutes. Yes, I love you.”


Michelle lifted her head towards me. Her eyes fluttered shut as she parted her lips to take a deep breath.


“Look, Dan, I’m so sorry to cut off our time together but…”


“I know,” I replied, internally commanding my voice not to tremble. “Responsibility calls once more. It's okay. I completely understand."


“Such a shame. I truly loved hanging out with a friend today,” stated Michelle, her eyes swinging slowly towards the rock wall of bravery that is my face. “And honestly, well…”


“Well, what?”


“Well,” she sputtered out. “Yours is the most precious friendship I’ve ever had.”


I gazed at her --- the beautiful woman I spent countless hours by the lakeside and on swings talking about anything like carefree children, the best friend I’ve missed, the woman I’ve always loved --- and let my mouth break into a sliver of a smile.


“You know you’ll always have it.”


"That's great," she purred, her regard not once leaving my blanched face as she gracefully rose from the swing. "Don't be a stranger. Please, Dan?"


In that moment, the carousel of thoughts rotating furiously inside me came to a total halt. A peaceful clarity overcame me like the gentle breezes of those youthful lakeside days I was blessed enough to share with my captivating secondary school best friend.


"I won't be. I...can't be," I responded, beaming. "I'll be here. Whatever role you want me to play for you, I'm here."



April 15, 2024 16:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

73 comments

10:24 Apr 20, 2024

I can understand why Michelle married her Richard. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. Dan was too caught up in his writing. He missed his opportunity. Life is full of ships that pass in the night. You have to make the best of it. I'm so glad they can remain friends. Even though it must be difficult. Life happens when you are busy making other plans. A very real life situation you have portrayed here, Stella. Well written. Your looong first sentence. Could it be split into two? I got a bit tripped up reading it.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:18 Apr 20, 2024

Precisely that. But I think I should have made it clear that it's always been Dan she loved, and Richard was just the convenient choice that just happened to be there. But yes, if you get an opportunity, you shouldn't pass it by. I think I still have time to clean it up. Thanks ! Glad you liked this. Thank you for reading, as per usual. I truly appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
LeeAnn Hively
02:50 Apr 17, 2024

Dan requires a good stiff drink to loosen his tongue and not allow every opportunity to pass him by. He's being very cruel to me by making me feel things....all the things.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:37 Apr 17, 2024

It's not just Dan, though. Michelle needs to realise going through the motions in her marriage isn't really a life worth living. But yes, these two just need to say it. Hahaha ! I'm so happy you felt the emotions and the tension in this piece. Thank you, as always, for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
17:17 Apr 28, 2024

This story is amazingly beautiful. The title is perfect and you know how I love a good title...lol. Your descriptions were so good I felt like I was actually in the story! The dialogue was lively and fun and really drove the story. There were so many great lines to mention here, but they all shined like the stars above on a cloudless day. Is there anything more heart-wrenching than loving someone and not being able to share that feeling? Ugh... I loved this story, great job!!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:23 Apr 28, 2024

Hi, Daniel ! Thank you so much for your kind words. That's the first time anyone has commented on the title. I just went "What's a good swing pun ?" Hahahaha ! I'm so happy the story came alive for you. Like I said, I was inspired by, amongst others, Jane Austen's "Sense and Sensibility" and the 1981 Dan Fogelberg song "Same Auld Lang Syne". I wanted to capture both pieces of media's "Wallow in the awkward of loving someone but not being able to act on it" feel. I'm so glad it worked for you. And that's so kind of you to describe the lines ...

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
17:29 Apr 28, 2024

I thank you for writing this beautiful piece! It really was amazing. Sometimes life doesn't always work out the way we want and I think you captured that here. It's still bouncing around in my head, and that's how you know a story is really good! I love how you incorporated Jane Austen's book and Dan Fogelberg's song in this story. Simply fantastic!!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:36 Apr 28, 2024

It's true. But yes, like I mentioned in other comments, there's still a possibility Dan and Michelle will do everything to make a relationship work...or not. I'm curious to see what you think. Hahahaha ! Glad you like the nods to my inspirations. Again, thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:25 Apr 26, 2024

Excellent love story

Reply

Alexis Araneta
21:26 Apr 26, 2024

Why thank you, Syed ! It means a lot coming from a talented writer like you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeff Macloud
19:24 Apr 25, 2024

"Just dependable. Very dependable." I think that might be the core of it right there. Nice piece - I felt for both of them. Great work.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
19:30 Apr 25, 2024

Precisely that, Jeff. That's why Michelle felt held back. Will she be for long, though ? Hmmm... Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading and commenting ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Patrick H
14:36 Apr 25, 2024

Critique Circle time again! The first few paragraphs really set the stage for the meeting of the two friends (should'a , could'a, would'a lovers?). That was a good setup. I had a feeling that she was married after 25 years, although I am mystified by why he let Michelle getaway. Perhaps he was afraid?

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:25 Apr 25, 2024

Thanks for taking time to read and critique this story, Patrick ! I'm very happy you liked the set-up of the meeting. And yep, it's kind of implied in the broken off sentences, as well as the use of "words I've kept for 25 years" when Dan does start to let it out that both Michelle and Dan have wanted to confess their feelings to one another but were afraid. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
04:00 Apr 25, 2024

Poor Dan. Too focused on his own stories, he lost the plot of his life, assuming the dependable girl would always be there. Michelle seemed like her life would have been tough with Dan, he seems too selfish. Thanks!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
04:14 Apr 25, 2024

Hi, Marty ! Oooh, I think you and another commenter made me realise that I may have made Dan look like he assumed Michelle would always be there. That wasn't my intention at all; I simply wanted to show that he (and Michelle) was too scared to confess his love for his best friend until it was too late. Hmmm...perhaps, I should work on making emotions clear enough for all types of readers to get what I mean. Either way, thanks for chiming in with your thoughts and, of course, taking the time to read the piece. Your investment of time is ve...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D.J. Bogner
18:19 Apr 24, 2024

Stella—from across the pond (I'm assuming), you had me on the edge of my seat! Bob's your uncle! Oh, the writer's life: words flow onto the page, but when push comes to shove in real life, they sometimes stumble and barely trickle out. Oh, Dan, you missed the boat—but only by about 25 years. 😜 Loved your story! Keep on clicking that keyboard! Best - DJ

Reply

Alexis Araneta
20:15 Apr 24, 2024

Actually, I'm nowhere near the pond, and the English spoken in my country (the Philippines) resembles that of America, not Britain. Long story involving growing up with Brit media and deciding this was the way I wanted to speak and write (I was a strange child. Hahahaha !) and a stay in Australia to explain why you may think I'm English, though. Hahahaha ! Anyway, precisely that. As glib as Dan is on the page, he can't use words to declare his feelings to the woman he loves. Then again, Michelle can't tell him either. So happy you liked t...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RJ Holmquist
15:22 Apr 24, 2024

I like how the playground setting interweaves with the theme, two adults looking back for moment at things they grew out of/left behind, but like adults who take a ride down the slide for old times sake, they don't quite fit as well anymore. I can't help but feel the friendship, dear as it was, no longer have prominent (or any) place in their lives (though they seem to hope it might), just like jungle gyms and grown-ups

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:39 Apr 24, 2024

Thank you so much, RJ. I don't know if you got the romance permeating in the piece, though. It's not that their friendship is no longer prominent in their lives; it's just that both of them want something more than friendship but can't act on it. But yes, I'm glad you liked the imagery. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cedar Barkwood
12:06 Apr 22, 2024

This is a wonderful story. Heartfelt and sad. It truly tells one simple story while capturing thousands of emotions and precious moments. I felt every word. Amazing job!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
12:33 Apr 22, 2024

Thank you so much ! Above anything, I really tried to focus on the emotions and the feeling of being tethered for both characters. So happy you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
03:30 Apr 22, 2024

Waiting to me at times is the best option.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
04:05 Apr 22, 2024

Sometimes, indeed, you have to. And sometimes, it's about grabbing the opportunity by the horns or it may never come back. It's a question of deciphering which of these options is best in a situation...as Dan and Michelle have to learn. Thanks for reading and commenting, Philip !

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
19:35 Apr 22, 2024

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Fern Everton
21:18 Apr 21, 2024

I swear, I felt this story physically reach out its hands and tug at my heartstrings with every new broken off sentence. From start to finish, it is absolutely lovely, and the characters are practically leaping off the page! Dan can’t quite find the words to finally tell Michelle he loves her and, when he does, he’s interrupted. Michelle has a life of stability, but clearly isn’t happy in it yet is hesitant to leave. These two are simultaneously so close yet so far, both caught up in their own lives without much room for a huge change like a...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
22:19 Apr 21, 2024

Oh, Fern ! I'm ecstatic you feel this way about the story (and you put it so poetically too). Like I said, two of my inspirations are a bittersweet 70s song and Sense and Sensibility, so I wanted to capture that feeling of aching to be with someone but having barriers to it. Like I mentioned to Helen, I know in my head whether or not Dan and Michelle take that plunge and decide to be together. However, I left it open for readers to speculate. I do wonder what you think. Hahahaha ! I'm so happy you liked it !

Reply

Fern Everton
03:22 Apr 22, 2024

70s music and Sense and Sensibility sounds like a match made in Heaven! I think I actually have that book, I just need to track it down and read it again, haha! With Michelle and Dan, I can see it going a few ways. For one, Michelle has a husband and a child, so I can imagine it’d be more difficult to take the plunge since it’d be upending all of that, so I can definitely see that being a huge obstacle. Dan also may not even be in the position himself to be in a relationship with his career, though I can see him being willing to jump in and...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:25 Apr 22, 2024

It is indeed a match made in heaven ! And don't worry, I loved your analysis ! I can certainly see it that way too !!! Hahahaha !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
16:28 Apr 21, 2024

So nice and romantic. From start till the end without moving sight. Nicely done Stella.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:37 Apr 21, 2024

Thank you so much, Darvico ! I'm happy you liked the story !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
15:03 Apr 21, 2024

Somebody... sure can weave a sentence. You've got the goods girl, keep at it. Reminds me of, Building Great Sentences by Brooks Landon. Your sentences could actually be reverse engineered, you know that? "Watching her take step after gazelle-like step, her ethereal salmon dress clinging on her toned legs as she strode, I imagined the prominent flipbook in my mind --- the one that’s been stored in there for over two decades, the one full of pictures of my seventeen year-old school friend and her marine eyes scintillating as she discussed an...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:12 Apr 21, 2024

Thank you, Jack. Yes, I do love my long, flowing, overly descriptive sentences. Not really the best, though, when texting mates about plans. Hahahahaha ! Thank you for believing in my writing. Sometimes, I feel like I'm just mucking about here, but I'm just happy someone --- a writer I admire, no less --- appreciates my work. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
07:14 Apr 21, 2024

There’s a lot to this story, Stella and it happens to be on one of my favourite subjects. As much as anything, it was about the timing not being right. Just friendship between two who love one another but cannot be together sometimes has to be enough. It’s even commonplace- although that doesn’t make it any easier. Sounds like he’s always adored his “dear friend” and now he’s confident enough to tell her, but fate had conspired against them. Love the references to the slow burn in Sense and Sensibility. The difficulty is not knowing whether...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:11 Apr 21, 2024

Hi, Helen ! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. Like I said, two of my inspirations for this happen to be the Dan Fogelberg song "Same Auld Lang Syne" (That's why my protagonist's name is Dan, by the way.) and a particular scene in "Sense and Sensibility" involving Elinor and Edward. Indeed, it was a lot of missed opportunities for both Michelle and Dan to declare their love for one another. On one hand, there's the possibility of ruining a deep friendship; but on the other hand, it could be the start of a blissful l...

Reply

Helen A Smith
11:32 Apr 21, 2024

For me, when Elinor in the film version played by Emma Thompson, is finally able to admit her love, it’s quite something to see those repressed emotions come bubbling up. Maybe you can do a sequel? It’s not necessary but it would be interesting to see what happens next. If you get a chance, give my “Cooking up a storm” story a go. It’s on the theme of Friendship turned romance with a few mishaps along the way.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:49 Apr 21, 2024

Hahahaha ! Same version of S&S that inspired me, actually. Only the scene that played in my mind was when Elinor told Edward that Colonel Brandon gave him a parish. I surely will read that !

Reply

Helen A Smith
11:53 Apr 21, 2024

Oh yes! We both thoroughly enjoyed the film, though different scenes, by the sound of it! Making me want to watch it again. Thank you. Very different characters in my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Faith Packer
07:09 Apr 21, 2024

I feel like I'm about to fly into my laptop and throttle both of them until they JUST SAY IT ALREADY!!! (In other words, great tension and emotion, and bringing it to life:)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:58 Apr 21, 2024

THROTTLE BOTH OF THEM !!! HAHAHAHAHA ! Oh my goodness ! I'm just very happy I was able to elicit such a visceral response from a reader. So chuffed you liked it, Faith ! Huge thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Peyton Fleek
19:24 Apr 20, 2024

Such beautiful writing!! I love all of your playground metaphors

Reply

Alexis Araneta
20:04 Apr 20, 2024

Thank you, Peyton. I'm glad you enjoyed me using that kind of imagery.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:22 Apr 20, 2024

Wow. Blew me away with the amount of feeling in this piece! Poor... poor both of them. Beautiful. You did a really good job of telling us without actually telling us that Michelle loved him back... I could've killed her daughter for phoning and breaking up that moment! 😆

Reply

Alexis Araneta
18:18 Apr 20, 2024

Oh, that's so kind of you, Khadija ! Thank you ! I'm chuffed the emotions came through. Yes, I truly wanted to be subtle and let readers figure out that Michelle had also always loved Dan. Don't kill her daughter, though; she means well. Hahahaha ! So happy you liked it ! Thank you for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:29 Apr 19, 2024

Love how you always manage to bring your characters to life!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
05:01 Apr 19, 2024

Melissa, that is so kind of you! You have no idea how much your comment means to me. Thank you ! I'm glad you enjoyed the story !

Reply

05:19 Apr 19, 2024

You're welcome! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
E.L. Lallak
00:01 Apr 19, 2024

So poetic and frustrating in the most brilliant and beautiful way. I just love your writing.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:45 Apr 19, 2024

Thank you so much ! I'm happy you liked this story. In a way, I'm happy you were frustrated with Dan and Michelle because that means I was able to showcase the emotions well. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.