20 comments

Speculative Science Fiction

“Octopuses?” Thomas spluttered.


The girl smiled. “Popular misconception. Logically, the plural is octopodes. Although publicly it’s still octopuses.” He rubbed the back of his head. Try to unearth the biggest scientific secret of the century, and all you end up with is a headache and a lesson in octopus plurals.


“Come with me, our secret is in here.” She was laughing at him?


He followed her through a wide door and into a glaring white chamber. As his eyes grew accustomed to the light he noticed boxes of blue and other bright colours dotting the room. Octopus tanks.


The girl strode towards the farthest wall, avoiding the tanks and other obstacles with ease. Thomas was not so lucky; His natural clumsiness asserted itself, and by the time he stood next to her, three items were displaced, and one was broken. He was vaguely aware of a white figure glaring at his back as it cleaned up the mess.


In front of them, a blank wall. The girl leaned into the wall and placed her eye in front of a hidden sensor. Slowly, the protective covering went up and what faced them was another octopus tank. “This is Hàixiū,” she said, putting her hand against the glass. Thomas spotted a small jellyfish-like shape in one corner. He pointed at it.


“Yes, that’s her. Hàixiū is Chinese for ‘shy’.”


A small squeak came from the corner of the room. Thomas turned and saw a silver-rimmed octopus tank with a young man standing in front of it, looking like something from a black-and-white movie. His skin was pale, almost white, and his clothes were black and grey. He squeaked at the octopus in front of him, and leant close to the tank, whispering like the breeze on a cold day. Thomas pointed at him and looked inquisitively at the girl.


"Hàorán. He's a little mad," she explained, lowering her voice. "Ever since he came here he's been whispering to Kuàisù, his octopus. He seems to think that Kuàisù can learn to talk." Thomas glanced back at Hàorán and wondered…


A man of about twenty walked in. “There you are Mimi. It's time for Hàixiū's injection."


“Just a moment, Hui. Our journalist needs something to write about. Is it okay if he stays?” Hui nodded.


They put on gloves and found equipment while Thomas watched, occasionally glancing back at the tank. Hàixiū didn’t move.


“Turn on the Mush,” said Mimi. Thomas raised an eyebrow. “Just watch, it will explain itself.” Hui pressed a button on another wall and Thomas waited for something to happen.


Mimi pulled her gloves above her elbows and stretched her arms towards the tank. Thomas stared. Mush. Her hands just sank through it, the glass melting and moulding around them. The octopus flew - right to the other end of the tank.


“Come back here, you little monster,” Mimi said playfully. Hàixiū refused to come nearer, waiting until Mimi was just close enough to touch an arm with her fingertips before jetting away, pointing her suckers at them. And that’s what you are, she seemed to say. Not so much shy as cheeky, Thomas thought.


Hui talked while Mimi chased the elusive Hàixiū around the tank. “We take them out every day and inject them with Systimosin. It's a kind of stimulant.”


“Got you!” said Mimi, grabbing hold of an arm and struggling to hold her still. “Hurry up Hui, she’s really strong.”


“Coming, coming.” He passed her a syringe filled with a thick, colourless liquid. “It was developed for the first time in this lab a few weeks ago. It supplies new connections in the octopodes’ brain, making it smarter. We’re also expecting it to give them a longer life span.”


Mimi injected the liquid into Hàixiū’s arm, then let go of her. “She’s developing faster than the others. They’re all developing faster than I expected.” Hui laughed.


“If you have any questions, ask Mimi. She’s the biggest octopus expert around here. I’m just the assistant.” Something is his voice - in the words he spoke? The way he spoke? - hit Thomas like a wave. He'd always been sensitive to emotions. If you don’t talk, you get to listen longer. And words aren’t the only thing you can listen to.


He put up a hand, a Wait, please sign; He wanted to write. He hoped his face would say what his hands couldn’t. He’d never been the best at polite talk. Or impolite talk.


Somehow they understood. Hui left. Mimi waited, then began walking him round a tour again, stopping at each new tank to add a special comment about the octopus inside.


“Each octopus is different,” she explained, “They each have their own personalities. This is Yonggan,” as they neared another tank where an octopus was attached to the glass. “We joke that he’s Hàixiū’s soulmate, the two are exact opposites. Yonggan is very playful; He loves new people. We expected him to develop the fastest, but Nature never makes things easy.” Thomas nodded and bent over his notebook as they walked on. “They’re each named after their most prominent traits, it makes them easier to place and helps when we forget which name is attached to which octopus.” He nodded again.


They walked on, carefully avoiding Hàorán's corner, where he continued whispering to Kuàisù, ignoring them completely, or just not seeing them.


"Remember, this is top-secret work. No leaks," Mimi said. Thomas rolled his eyes. I'm a journalist. Whatever I see, the public sees. Suddenly he bent over his notebook, writing something and ripping it out to show her.


"What if one of the scientists leak?" She read. "That's simple; They wouldn't. I would trust any one of my crew with my life. We all trust each other." Thomas wasn't satisfied, but he kept quiet as they moved to the next tank.


“And this is Xiaochou, the clown. You wouldn't think that he was nocturnal, would you?” Xiaochou was currently doing octopus backflips, front flips, and side flips.


“We always use Amphioctopus marginatus, the Coconut or Veined octopus, for our experiments. We tried using other types, but Systimosin doesn’t create intelligence, it just increases what’s already there, so they either showed no signs of developing or died when we tried increasing the dose.”


Thomas was confused. Surely she was fond of the creatures after working with them for weeks, but he couldn’t detect any emotions from her when she talked of their deaths.


“The government decided that it was too damaging to risk too many tests, so they only granted permission for 10 octopodes, 5 tests each. It's at the edge of our limit; If an octopus died now..." She shivered. "Well, hopefully all goes to - "


“Hàixiū is out!” The steady thud of feet on the spotless white floor, squeaks, squeals and more shouting. Only Hàorán stayed where he was, a surprised but smug grin on his face. Why, Thomas wondered. Somehow, the alleged madman fascinated him.


He followed Mimi back to Hàixiū's tank, notebook forgotten, where a group of teuthologists stood in a loose circle, talking. He caught a few words. “- before we expected.”


“She's certainly developing fast,” Mimi commented, “She wasn't scheduled to escape for a few weeks.” Nobody seemed panicked. In fact, nobody was even looking for Hàixiū. It was as if they all knew that she would be back soon, like she was a colleague who had just gone out for a coffee and would return in a few minutes. Thomas stood awkwardly behind the group, staring absent-mindedly into Hàixiū's empty tank.


“Hui?” Mimi called. Hui walked in and looked at her expectantly. “She should be near the vent in the test room, could you bring her in please?” Hui nodded and left.


He returned a minute later with a frozen look of panic on his face. “She's not there.”


No one knew what to do. The chances of her not doing what they expected were a thousand to one. They froze.


Suddenly everyone was moving, and Thomas watched with an amused smile. This is what happens when you become too logical, he thought. Resuming his watch on the tank, he let his mind roam, headlines and front-page news drifting in and out of his consciousness.


“Where could she be?” “What's happened to her?” “What if she's got out?” “Why didn't we calculate correctly?” People zipping back and forth, searching the rooms, searching the vents, making more calculations and searching again.


Half an hour later, the panic was broken, the problem still unsolved. In place of blind frenzy came desperation for some, depression for others. Some were sitting cross-legged on the floor, crying, knowing that Hàixiū was already dead, some continued stubbornly searching. Thomas was still glued to the glass, trying to appear oblivious to his surroundings, overwhelmed with the emotions that flooded the lab. A single octopus meant so much to them. In the passageway, a man was on his knees, praying.


As Thomas stared through the tank, something caught his eye. “Mimi,” he shouted, realising he didn't know her last name. His voice was scratchy and thick with disuse. She lifted her head from her hands and looked around, unsure of who was calling her. “She's here.”


Everyone crowded around him, following his finger to the small jellyfish-like shape in the corner. Mimi squealed with relief. Hui and another man slapped each other on the back. Tears were forgotten, driven away by almost hysterical laughter.


Thomas was confused, alone in his thoughts. Hàixiū had always been there; She hadn't moved from when he first entered the room. And throughout the commotion that had followed her 'disappearance', no one had admitted coming near the tank. 'Hàixiū is out'...


Safe in his corner, Hàorán laughed. Kuàisù had proved his worth.


July 18, 2023 15:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

Graham Kinross
08:36 Jan 02, 2024

Great story. Great octopi ideas.

Reply

09:56 Jan 02, 2024

Thanks!

Reply

Graham Kinross
16:37 Jan 02, 2024

You’re welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Annie Persson
20:28 Dec 10, 2023

I was just re-reading your stories, and I realised I forgot to tell you how amazing this story was the first time I read it. This is probably one of my favourite of all your stories, mostly because I love octopods. (That's a new word for me! I've always called them octopi) They're soo cool, and I think you captured that in this story beautifully! (And the sequel, of course. That one might be my absolute favourite!) I really just love most of your stuff! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maureen Ashford
10:38 Jul 27, 2023

Kept me on the edge of my seat wanting more. And I learnt a lot about Ouctopedes. Excellent.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michael Pollock
23:32 Jul 26, 2023

Nicely done. I really like the use of the octopus and the twist of the story. The title is perfect!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chris Miller
19:27 Jul 25, 2023

Good work. "Coconut Octopus" is a great title. It just scans really nicely. Clever idea for the trick/twist. Well written. Good luck!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Joan Wright
22:54 Jul 22, 2023

Great story! An octopus is a fascinating creature. You had me on the edge of my chair. I hope you have read, Incredible Creatures. It heightened my interest in the octopus world. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

07:54 Jul 23, 2023

I haven't read it, but I have read 'The Soul Of An Octopus', which quickly made octopodes my favourite animals! 🐙

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angela Ginsburg
19:32 Jul 22, 2023

I loved this for 50 reasons. First octopodes and the drive to correct octopi. Second the Chinese words, since I spoke Chinese Mullins of years ago—you just put yonggan in there and didn’t even mention it meant brave. Love the background research! Third, I had to scroll back up to remember that Kuaisu was learning to talk in order to get what happened, so that was the perfect amount subtle. Fourth, as the mom of Muslim kids I’m just on your team in general. Go you! Amazing work for any age!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Murray Burns
16:35 Jul 22, 2023

First...you're 13? Remarkable. This is an interesting, creative, and well-written piece. Very nice. I will definitely check out your next effort. P.S. Are you sure you are 13?

Reply

07:51 Jul 23, 2023

Yes, I'm sure! 😁

Reply

Murray Burns
13:00 Jul 23, 2023

It's just surprising that a 13-year-old could write so well! Of course, I believe you. My reaction was just meant as a compliment. You have a great future!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:13 Jul 21, 2023

That was clever. Hàorán and Kuàisù are a cheeky little duo. I am a sucker for an octopus ❤️🐙 And I love that you've introduced me to octopodes. I was raised with UK English, and changing Octopi to octopuses hurt 😂 The environment felt fleshed out, it felt alive, and I enjoyed the characters. I really liked your submission and I look forward to the next. 😎

Reply

08:52 Jul 22, 2023

I was used to use octopi too, octopuses just didn't seem right but apparently it was closer than octopi! Thanks for the comment! (And the like, but I like comments better :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
13:49 Jul 19, 2023

This is an interesting story. I am left wondering why and how? Why was Thomas the only one to see the octopus? How did the others, who are all scientists trained to observe the smallest changes, miss the octopus? Why were they not surprised that she escaped? Why was the man laughing at the end? What was his purpose? I feel that these are all very interesting questions and it’s good to leave your reader pondering. However it does not leave for a satisfactory ending not to answer, or at least broadly hint at an answer, for some of these questi...

Reply

16:03 Jul 19, 2023

🍁 Thanks for liking it, thanks especially for the comment! The man in the corner was teaching his octopus to talk. He laughed because Kuàisù finally said something... ("Hàixiū is out!") That should answer 3 questions? Thomas was the only one to notice the octopus because he was the only one watching the tank. The rest were searching around, they never thought to distrust the voice that said Hàixiū had escaped. They weren't surprised because they had planned for her to get smart enough to try an escape, but they were a bit surprised that s...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:54 Jul 19, 2023

I have never read rats of nimh, but now I feel like I have to. All those are good answers, but I would encourage you to put a little more of the answer into the text, not to straight out hand feed the reader, but to imply a little more. For example, why would they all distrust the voice that said she had escaped? As a reader I don’t know why that voice is reliable. I’m left thinking “well aren’t you all just a bunch of idiots” and that doesn’t fit with the idea that they’re scientists doing very smart and crazy things. I cannot understand w...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
13:49 Jul 19, 2023

'Octopodes' would be a good title or 'Shy'. Your are a fine writer. Fit the prompt well. Welcome to Reedsy. Thanks for following my stories. I like the title! Coconut Octopus would make a good title and peak interest. I have never heard the name and what you say about them is very curious.

Reply

16:08 Jul 19, 2023

Thanks! ('Coconut Octopus' it is!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.