30 comments

Fiction


Pulling off my boots, I stood them up in the tall grass next to the bucket. Taking off my woolen socks one at a time, I rolled them up and carefully placed them down as well. I then gathered the excess material of my dress, expertly tying it into a knot at my hip. 


I sighed, reaching for my fishing pole as I stepped into the cool creek.


I hoped the waters would work their magic to calm my nerves as I had become more distraught with each passing day. Being the first daughter of my father’s first wife, I was highly sought after. Just the night before, my father had received another caller, whom he had whisked away into his back room. The leering glance in my direction had left me in a cold sweat. 


It was a mere nine days before my eighteenth birthday, and an idea popped into my mind with such shocking clarity it made me gasp. 


***


Returning home with two large fish in my bucket, I was pleased to see my mother alone in the kitchen preparing lunch. My father’s second wife was out with the children collecting berries which left us some alone time. 


“Come set the table, Isabel,” she handed me a stack of plates.


“Yes, Mama.”


“Your father had another caller this morning. My beautiful daughter has become quite the catch.”


I winced, thinking of that leering glance I had received the night before. That sweaty face, those beady eyes looking me up and down like the men who inspected Papa’s cattle before placing their bid. My stomach clenched.


“What do you expect being the daughter of my beautiful Mama?” I smiled sincerely as my mother stopped her work for a moment and beamed at me. Did anyone still see her as beautiful after bearing six children? Did she feel cast aside as her husband took on yet another wife? My heart ached for her as I set the heavy plates around the large table.


***


Back at the creek my toes grasped the smooth rock keeping me steady as I flicked my line into the waters. I glanced over at my boots and bucket in the tall grass under the tree, my eyes moving up the trunk to see that hideous red ribbon blowing in the breeze.


“Red means stop, Isabel,” my father’s voice in my head as if I needed another reminder of the boundaries.


“Yes, Papa,” I whispered as a force of habit although alone in the water.


My gaze left the red ribbon and traveled up the center of the creek toward the bend, then to the mountains in the distance, blurry on the horizon. Were there people on that mountain? The stories of the outsiders flooded back for my review. I had noticed the slightest contradictions in the stories taught in the classroom over the years. Those inconsistencies nagged at me, poking holes in their reality, filling me with doubt of their validity. Could such evil truly live outside of our borders or was it a ruse to keep us here to work, to obey, to breed?


Seven days away from turning eighteen, I replayed the conversation I had with Jillian, my cousin and oldest friend. In whispers behind the barn, she had filled me in on her wedding night. The pain and humiliation as her new husband treated her roughly, heaving himself on top of her then pushing her away as he left to join his first wife in their bed. Was that my fate as well? 


I looked across the creek at the row of red ribbons ensuring that we didn’t attempt to cross the waters onto the foreign land of the opposite shore. My thoughts went to Amelia, the girl who hobbled around the schoolyard looking anguished. Was it possible that the elders had cut off her toes for crossing the red ribbons or a convenient tale tacked onto a poor girl deformed at birth? Would they be so cruel?


“Red means stop, Isabel,” my father’s voice replayed in my head.


“I know, Papa, I know.” I called out having had enough of that voice, that threat, those red ribbons everywhere I turned. The edge of town, the back of the schoolyard, behind the small stores across town all were decorated with those hateful symbols. Red means stop. Red means stop.


A sudden image of that leering face popped into my mind as I cast my line out one more time. Seven days until I turned eighteen, then they could come for me at any time. I looked at the red ribbon in the tree over my meager belongings, my boots, my woolen socks. I pictured climbing that tree to grab the ribbon, waving it in front of my new husband, the man whose property I would become. Red means stop. I would wave it before those beady eyes, keeping him at arm’s length, keeping myself safe.


I thought of Mama, the special alone time we had shared just two days prior as we set the massive table for lunch. Could I go through with the plan? Could I break her heart? 


A tug on my line pushed those thoughts from my mind as I pulled the fish out and stepped on shore adding it to the bucket. Temptation taunted me as I pictured myself going upstream to cook it on an open fire as I headed for a new life. Would I miss the huge family, the endless children by the wives, the knowledge that I would be a wife to one of the callers? Or would I find peace in those mountains, a life I couldn’t imagine as I settled in on my own?


***


Mama greeted me nervously as I entered the kitchen. A quick glance showed me an extra seat at the already crowded table. My heartrate quickened as I saw my mother busy herself, avoiding my eyes.


Suppertime came with the arrival of the beady-eyed man whom Mama introduced with downcast eyes.


“Isabel, you remember Papa’s second cousin, Elijah?” She seated him next to me as the lump formed in my throat forcing any possible reply down into my gut.


I took my seat next to my obvious intended.


“Elijah, please enjoy the filet fresh from the creek. Isabel is quite adept; you will never go hungry.”


I glanced out of the corner of my eye at the belly hanging over the brown leather belt, the buttons of the work shirt straining not to pop. Going hungry didn’t seem to be a problem, I thought with disgust at the prospect of feeding this man, this man old enough to be my father.


“Wonderful,” the word hung in the air with a sinister feel to it as his hand found my leg under the table and squeezed it. A heat rushed through my body; a red hot anger filled me as I clenched my fists.


“Red means stop,” I longed to scream, waving a blasted red ribbon in his face. Red. Means. Stop. 


Suddenly I knew what I had to do. 


***


Arriving at the creek, I took off my boots, then my woolen socks emptying out the collection of items hidden inside of them. I placed everything into the bucket quickly. 


Gathering the fabric of my dress I deftly arranged it all into a knot at my hip, emptying out the few additional objects hidden for my new life. Would I even want to have these reminders, I wondered, pushing the thought of Mama aside for now. 


I stepped into the waters, my waters that I knew so well which would sustain me going forward. I held the full bucket by its handle in one hand, my fishing pole in the other. The cool water rushed past my feet as I stood rooted to the spot.


The feel of that hand on my leg still fresh, the anger pulsed through my body. I stepped off the rock, my rock and moved forward in the creek, the red ribbon blowing out of the corner of my eye as I passed it by.


April 21, 2024 17:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

Ty Warmbrodt
03:08 Apr 22, 2024

Red means stop, but a forced marriage means get the hell out of there. Great story, Hannah.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
12:05 Apr 22, 2024

Yes a forced marriage really means get out of town fast! Unfortunately this is a present day situation in a lot of places around the world including polygamy communities in the US. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jenny Cook
23:27 May 03, 2024

I salute you for shining a light on the inhumanity of thousands of forced marriages which happen in this day and age. What seems incredible to us is the cruel reality for so many. Beautifully written!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
13:15 May 04, 2024

Thank you so much, Jenny! Yes, this is based on the polygamous communities that exist in the US currently! They are taught that outsiders are evil and young girls (and boys) lose all contact with family members if they successfully escape. It's terrifying. I appreciate your comments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
20:24 May 02, 2024

Inspiring, compelling, engaging - cheering on the main character toward the freedom she deserves. Escaping the red ribbons, she triumphs in the story's definitive moment. This is great!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
22:08 May 02, 2024

Thanks so much for the praise, Kristi! I’m glad you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lyle Closs
08:05 May 02, 2024

Excellent. Leave the reader in suspense. I really liked the way you built the story and made it a complete picture of the family and environment without answering all the reader's questions.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
13:24 May 02, 2024

Thank you so much, Lyle! I'm glad you liked it... appreciate the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
18:16 May 01, 2024

Enjoyed this, particularly the way your mc wished to turn the 'red means stop' on its head, Ms Atwood should have thought of that!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
18:50 May 01, 2024

Wow, you're the second person to reference Handmaid's Tale! I'm a big fan of the show so I guess it seeped into the story lol. Thanks for reading!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeremy Stevens
13:08 Apr 30, 2024

A Handmaid's Tale came immediately to mind, which was perhaps your intent, the red robes the women wore. Dystopia is becoming more a grim reality; slowly, like the boiled frog in the paradigm. I felt Isabel's fear. Good storytelling here.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
19:42 Apr 30, 2024

I am a huge fan of A Handmaids Tale so perhaps the red material crept into my story from there! Thanks for reading. I’m glad you liked it! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:53 Apr 30, 2024

Loved this! Excellent job!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
18:39 Apr 30, 2024

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
20:58 Apr 29, 2024

Very engaging story. Flew right by. Really well done.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
22:36 Apr 29, 2024

Thanks so much! I appreciate that! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
09:01 Apr 28, 2024

Good for her. Well done. I knew what she would do, but still, I had to read till the end, cheering for her. Nicely done.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
11:55 Apr 28, 2024

Thanks for cheering on Isabel! I’m glad you liked the story. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:36 Apr 27, 2024

Very touching, I like it!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
11:25 Apr 28, 2024

Thanks so much, Julia!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yuliya Borodina
17:18 Apr 24, 2024

I hope she finds a better place, one laced with green ribbons. Beautiful work, Hannah. Touching and inspiring!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
18:34 Apr 24, 2024

Oh I love the idea of green ribbons! That’s the perfect response to the life she has been enduring. Thank you so much for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
07:00 Apr 22, 2024

Okay, Hannah, this was so brilliant, I am shaking as I comment. What a lovely, image-rich, immersive tale of a woman choosing to live rather than exist. It's so gripping and compelling. You can't help cheering for Isabel once she decides to escape. The symbolism of the red was so well-weaved into the tale. It reads like velvet on skin too. I think we have a winner here. Splendid work !

Reply

Hannah Lynn
12:27 Apr 22, 2024

Wow !!! Stella, you made my day with your praise and feedback! Thank you so much! 😊😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
01:35 Apr 22, 2024

We've come a long way since Isabel. And we still have many more miles to go. To echo Mary. "Go, girls. Go! Yeah, Hannah! What a wonderful story.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
12:28 Apr 22, 2024

Trudy, I’m so glad you enjoyed the story! Go girl go!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:44 Apr 21, 2024

This was so good! Well done, Hannah.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
01:02 Apr 22, 2024

Thanks so much, Melissa! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:25 Apr 21, 2024

GO, Girl, GO!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
21:44 Apr 21, 2024

YES! Thanks for reading, Mary!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.