1 comment

Horror Fiction Funny

The Depths of Darkness written by Jolyon GC Stevenson

In the vast expanse of the ocean, where the light barely penetrates and darkness reigns supreme, a team of daring marine biologists embarked on a groundbreaking expedition. Led by Dr. Sarah Williams, an esteemed oceanographer with a thirst for discovery, the team set out to explore the deepest parts of the ocean floor, where mysteries and secrets lay hidden in the abyss.

Their vessel, the research submarine "The Abyss Explorer II ," was a state-of-the-art marvel of engineering, equipped with advanced sonar, robotic arms, and a reinforced hull capable of withstanding the immense pressure of the deep sea. On board were Sarah's trusted colleagues: Dr. David Nguyen, a brilliant biologist specializing in deep-sea creatures; Dr. Emma Reynolds, an expert in marine geology; and Captain James Anderson, a seasoned submarine pilot with nerves of steel and centuries of knowledge. He was also big on puns which sometimes upset his crewmates.

As the Abyss Explorer II descended into the depths, the team marvelled at the otherworldly beauty of the ocean floor. Strange creatures, adapted to the harsh environment, glided through the darkness like ghosts, their bioluminescent bodies casting an ethereal glow. Their first few days of exploration yielded fascinating discoveries—a new species of deep-sea jellyfish, ancient rock formations dating back millions of years, and hydrothermal vents teeming with life. But as they ventured deeper into uncharted territory, they stumbled upon something that would change their lives forever.

On the sonar, they detected a massive object lying at the bottom of a deep trench—a sunken ship, its hull corroded by centuries of saltwater. Intrigued by the find, Sarah and her team navigated the Abyss Explorer II closer, eager to investigate. As they approached the wreck, a sense of unease settled over the crew. It was that feeling you get when you suddenly feel cold and can feel the hair stand up on the back of your neck. The ship, which appeared to be of 18th-century design, was eerily silent, as if holding its breath in anticipation of their arrival. Captain James expertly guided the submarine through the murky waters, illuminating the ship with powerful floodlights. "Doesn’t feel very light-hearted down hear does it?" said Captain James immediately cackling at his own joke alone. Blank faces on the rest of the crew told it’s own story.

"What do you think, Sarah? Could this be the lost vessel we've been searching for?" Dr. David asked, ignoring the painful pun from Captain James, but his voice still tinged with disdain. Sarah studied the ship's weathered hull, her mind racing with possibilities.

"It's possible," she replied, her voice echoing in the cramped confines of the submarine. "But we won't know for sure until we explore further."

With cautious optimism, the team deployed a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) equipped with cameras and sensors to explore the interior of the wreck. As the ROV penetrated the darkness of the ship's hold, the crew held their breath, waiting anxiously for the first glimpse of what lay within. What they found defied all expectations.

The interior of the ship was unlike anything they had ever seen. A vast chamber filled with ancient artifacts, treasure chests overflowing with gold, jewels, artworks and tapestries depicting scenes of myth and legend. But amidst the riches lay something far more sinister.

There were a series of sealed coffins, each adorned with intricate carvings and symbols of occult significance.

Dr. Emma's heart raced as she examined the coffins, her mind buzzing with questions. "This is incredible," she murmured, her voice barely audible over the hum of the ROV's motors. "But who were the occupants of these coffins? And what were they doing on a ship at the bottom of the ocean?"

"I think this may be a grave mistake." said captain James again bursting into laughter at his own joke.

"How dare you? Said Dr Emma appalled with the latest pun.

Before anyone else could respond, a chill ran down Sarah's spine, a sense of dread washing over her like a tidal wave. She turned to Captain James, her eyes wide with alarm. "We need to get out of here, now," she said, her voice trembling with urgency.

But it was too late. As if in response to Sarah's words, the coffins began to shake, their lids rattling ominously as if something inside was trying to break free. And then, with a sound that echoed through the depths like thunder, the coffins burst open, unleashing their unholy cargo upon the world.

Rising from the depths like a demon from the abyss came the King of Vampires. It was a creature of darkness and death, thirsting for blood and power. His eyes glowed with an unholy light, his fangs gleaming in the dim glow of the ROV's cameras.

The crew watched in horror as the vampire king emerged from his tomb, his presence filling the chamber with an aura of malevolence. With a flick of his wrist, he summoned forth his minions. Undead creatures, twisted and deformed by centuries of imprisonment.

"We have to get out of here, now!" Sarah shouted, her voice barely audible over the roar of the ocean.

"I think I’ve soiled me pants! " Exclaimed Captain James, this time not laughing.

But as the crew scrambled to retreat, they realized with growing horror that they were trapped, surrounded on all sides by the vampire king's unholy army.

Desperate and outnumbered, Sarah and her team fought bravely against the onslaught of the undead, their submersibles weapons clashing with the creatures in a frenzied battle for survival. But as the vampire king closed in on them, his eyes burning with hunger and malice, they knew that their fate was sealed.

Just when all hope seemed lost, a blinding light pierced the darkness, illuminating the chamber with its brilliance. And then, with a deafening roar, a mighty Leviathan appeared. The creature of legend, ancient and powerful, emerged from the depths, its massive form towering over the battlefield like a god of old.

With a single sweep of its tail, the Leviathan unleashed a wave of destruction upon the vampire king and his minions, sending them scattering like bowling pins. And then, as quickly as it had appeared, the Leviathan vanished into the depths, leaving behind a trail of chaos and destruction in its wake.

But not only had the Vampires perished from the attack of the Leviathan, but the ship with all its vast treasures rumbled and gave way, plummeting deep into the ocean floor, sinking and collapsing.

As the dust settled and the last echoes of battle faded into silence, Sarah and her team emerged from the wreckage, battered and bruised but alive. They gazed out into the darkness, their hearts heavy with the weight of what they had witnessed.

But amidst the despair, there was also hope a glimmer of light in the darkness, a reminder that even in the deepest depths of the ocean, miracles could still occur.

"Does anyone else have that sinking feeling?" Asked Captain James with a smirk.

This time they all burst into laughter.

"You really have reached new lows Captain James". Said Sarah setting everyone off again with her pun this time.

As they made their way back to the surface, they vowed to continue their quest for knowledge, driven by a thirst for discovery that would never be quenched. And as they finally hit the surface and saw solid land again in the near distance, they were overjoyed to have come back with their lives intact after such a close brush with death. All was happy on the Abyss Explorer II, including the extra passenger nobody had noticed gripping onto the fin. With his razor-sharp vampire teeth poised the King of Vampires was ready to exact his revenge.

April 25, 2024 20:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kritika Bhasin
19:31 May 01, 2024

The story was so interesting that I wish it was longer. I wanted more details and wish the vampire part had more to it. I loved that the story incorporated both fiction and facts. It looked like you did research and it showed through your details about the marine life and crew aboard. The undead and the Leviathan were both unexpected but incredibly fun aspects of the story. I really enjoyed that you made the coffins come alive and the Leviathan saved the crew. The story was well written and I definitely enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.