0 comments

Speculative Suspense Horror

Day Before Travel (July 1st, 2024)

My name is Stacy Mitchell. I am 27 years old, and I am going into the ‘Eternal Cave’, found in Lansford, PA. (I would like to point out that the only reason I’m writing any of this down is because I am being forced by the Cave Diver Association to help with my mental state in the cave. I find this completely pointless, but I want to keep my job.)

The Eternal Cave was found a few weeks ago by the coal mine tourists that got a little too curious. When others tried going down it, they came back rambling about how it would never end, and that ‘the darkness would’ve enveloped them if they had stayed any longer.’ 

Of course, none of them are being taken seriously. But they are taking into account the mental tolls that come from going into the cave. But people needed to know if this cave was really eternal, or if it’s just another cave with a weird substance that damages humans brains.

So after lots of training and thought process, I was chosen to be the one that they sent inside to investigate. I have extra oxygen to help me breathe just in case the reason for the mental damage is in the form of gas, this journal so they can keep track of my (possible) sanity decline and figure out what is happening to the others, and as many batteries as they could find for my flashlights. Also food and water and all that other stuff.

For the most part, this area is completely unaltered in any way shape and form, so everything I write should be completely new to the scientists at the station. 

Now, with that out of the way, I will now wait the night out and head into the cave before sunrise so my eyes can be adjusted before going in. I wish you luck, future me. Don’t die in there. Please.

Day One (July 2nd, 2024)

I have gotten about 5 miles into the cave, and so far have felt no effects. All of my memories and mental health are still in contact, and I feel just as I did before. None of the crazy images that appear inside the heads of the former cave divers. 

The cave seems to be natural, and not very unique in a way most famous caves are. It’s bigger than the average cave mines found in the area, but everything else seems to be the same. I will say that the darkness seems to be bigger than other caves I have gone into. It’s very ominous; especially with the enlarged echo that follows me around this place.

Without my many watches, I would not at all be able to tell what time or day it was in here. It’s as if time is gone in here, and it’s just you and the contents of the cave. I know I sound like some 6-year-old who just learned about deep words, but what goes on in here is very hard to describe without sounding cheesy and crap.

I understand why the name of this place is the ‘Eternal Cave’, considering that’s what it feels like sometimes. But I doubt it’ll go on forever. Even Mammoth Cave ends eventually. So surely this one will, too. Right?

As I am writing this, I am eating one of my many sandwiches, and drinking some water. Not the most nutritious and delicious dinner known to man, but probably one of the few that are easy and cheap to find. But I can’t really be complaining considering the situation I’m in. Beggars can’t be choosers, as the saying goes.

After I’m done, I’m going to set up my tent and head to bed for the night. I’m planning on walking 6 miles tomorrow, and my legs are already starting to sore from today. I’m going to need plenty of rest for it.

Day Two (July 3rd, 2024)

I only did 5 miles again today, as I couldn’t go for one more because of how badly my legs are getting. The darkness has grown since before, and I’m guessing that’s from how deep I’ve gotten. According to my clock, it’s now Day 2 of being here, but it feels more like Year 2 to me. 

Last time I checked, the cave ceiling has gone up even higher now. The stalactites are getting sharper the deeper I go. At least that’s what it feels like. The farther I get away from human civilization, the more noises I seem to hear. Which is weird, considering I didn’t hear anything yesterday.

The best way I can describe the noises is that they are as if static from a TV were turned into monotone whispers. They’re constantly close to me, and whenever I stop, they get louder. That’s why I constantly have to flip around in the bed I’m in, which is annoying as hell when you’re trying to eat and write at the same time with a flashlight.

 It may just be my tinnitus acting up, but it’s still freaky. Especially down here in the dark. Alone. But except the creepy analog horror sounds that come from this place, everything is staying the same as far as I can tell. 

Again, my dinner is a sandwich and water meal, and the flashlight is still going strong. The sound of batteries is lessening as I use more of them, but it’s still annoying. Especially with the ‘Staspers’ (Static and Whispers combined) following me everywhere. 

How I will sleep with the Staspers is still a mystery to me, but I’ll have to find a way because I am incredibly tired from the last 2 days. I wouldn’t be surprised if all I do is pass out and then eventually wake up.

Anyway, I’m getting off track. Point is that I will be fine, and all I need is a good night’s(?) rest and I’ll feel like myself again. Tomorrow, I’ll try taking it easy by only walking 3-4 miles, but I might just keep going. We’ll just have to see.

Day Three (July 4th, 2024)

The Staspers are getting worse. They have gotten louder, and it’s getting harder to hear my own footsteps at this point. I don’t know how long or how much I walked because of it, but if I had to guess it would be 5 again. Honestly, that number of miles is very surprising, considering the fact that I couldn’t sleep.

The only upside to the Staspers getting louder is I don’t have to worry about them getting worse when I stay still, since they already are worse. And they seem to stay the same volume no matter what. You can trust me when I say that I already tried to get away from it.

The darkness is becoming more and more unsettling the farther in I go. But my eyes have adjusted well, and I am starting to become more familiar with the layout of this place. But I’m still relying heavily on the flashlight for sight.

Considering how long I’ve been in here and how creepy everything is becoming, I'm starting to understand the term ‘Eternal Cave’ a little bit more. Especially since I’m 15 miles away from the opening. 

Since it’s the 4th of July, I’m guessing people are out celebrating the revolution. And I know that I am much too deep in to hear any of the fireworks, but I swear I can hear the boom inside my head. That’s how bad my headache is getting. My stomach can’t handle food today, so I’m just going to try and go to bed early so I can try and get some rest. 

Day 4 (July 5th, 2024)

It got worse. It is hard to write and eyes can not focus well. Darkness has grown possibly overnight. Stomach and head hurt badly. Arms and legs, too. I could not stop walking. In fact, walking while writing this. That is why sentences written weird. Can’t hear anything except static now. No more voices. Feels like cave is growing every step taken. Feel like people are watching me from inside walls. Constantly paranoid. Can not turn around. Can not sleep. Can not eat. Batteries running out of power. Can not reach for new batteries. I am going to turn off flashlight now to save battery power. Will only use battery when writing in journal. Hopefully I will get better. Now turning off flashlight,

Day 6 (July 7th, 2024)

Can’t feel. Extremely sore. Joints weak. Hand shaky. Flashlight flickering. Afraid. Been 2 days since last entry. Don’t wanna die. Don;t know how many miles walked. Shadows everywhere. Dizzy. Really Tired. Hard to breathe. Need help. Please. Help needed. Please. Help. Help. Help. Help. Help. He-

Top of the Hour News

Walking Corpse Found Deep Within ‘Eternal Cave.’ Journal Details Decline of Sanity

Stacy Mitchells, a 27-year-old white female, was found walking around deep inside of the so called ‘Eternal Cave’, a new cave found in Lansford, Pennsylvania on June 25th. Stacy’s walking corpse was discovered by Emma and Jane Marsh, a married couple that had gotten lost during their trip at the local coal mines. 

While walking on the path, they spotted a dark figure walking around in the caves. After Jane went looking, Emma soon followed with a flashlight in hand. The light went all over the cave walls before eventually landing on the walking corpse of Stacy, who had decayed so much that a majority of her skin was missing. 

They soon ran back to the trail out of fear, and a few hours later, Stacy was found again by two Search-and-Rescue officers, with them having to put what was left of her legs in handcuffs so they could stop her. Even while she was having an autopsy done, she continued trying to walk. The autopsy could not find a reason for death, but they did find that her leg muscles were almost completely torn apart by her excessive afterlife jaunt.

Another clue to her cause of death was the journal that was found in her hands, along with a dead flashlight that was supposedly used to help her write in the darkness. Inside the journal was writing detailing her journey, and her decline of sanity. The journal was given to Stacy so that the people she was working for could learn what she was going through once she had gotten out. 

Throughout her 6 day journey, she started to hear things that weren’t there, getting worse every step of the way. Until finally, she died. This exact experience could’ve happened to 7 others who had gone inside the cave before, but they got out before they lost control of their legs. Their mental health was not unaltered, as they now ramble for hours on end.

Investigation plans are trying to be made, and the Cave Divers Association is currently waiting to see if they get sued by Stacy’s family for putting her in a dangerous situation, even with knowing that her brain would get messed up in the process.

For now, all coal mine tours in the area have been shut down until everything is sorted out, and residents in the area are tense as they wait to see if the situation escalates. Rumors are spreading that evacuations may be necessary, but it is unclear if this is fake news or if this is a real concern. 

For now, we will all just wait in suspense, and see if anything else can be done for this situation. If you are in the Lansford area, please stay safe. And for the time being, just listen to all warnings about the situation carefully.

Day ????????? (??????)

WALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALHELPMEPLEASEKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKPAINWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKNONONONONOWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKGETOUTOFMYHEADWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALKWALK

ok

April 26, 2024 19:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.