4 comments

Romance

I looked at my watch to see that it was only 20 minutes until the ceremony started. My mind was short circuiting and my stomach was twisted and eating itself. Everybody I have talked to about getting married had said that butterflies and nerves were the worst right before getting married. I felt something else. I felt like I was unsure and making a mistake. I was never unsure about my relationship with Ivory, especially since we were both women. Now it felt different.

Did I really want to spend the rest of my life with her? She is a gorgeous dream of a woman. She is attractive in many ways. Her perfect curves that never fail to tempt my hands. Her verbal execution of knowing the right things to say and how to say them. Her seductively smooth voice which makes me melt with just one word. She rocks my world in and out of the bedroom. There was just a piece of underlying doubt.

I need someone to talk to. It was a private wedding so I didn’t know many people here. The only one I have is my mom. I rolled my eyes thinking about her. She was one for bouncing around from man to man since I was a child. She always went where there was money. It didn’t surprise me when she showed up at the estate I shared with Ivory after finding out about the wedding. What gold digger wouldn’t show up to mooch off of her daughter who was marrying into a rich family?

Then I remembered that most of Ivory’s family was present. Meaning that the woman who gave birth to me was most likely on the prowl. I immediately set out to find her. Most of them already don’t like me because of my background. If they met her they would probably object at the ceremony.

I pulled out my phone and connected to the tracking function on my mom’s phone. Sure it’s an invasion of privacy and everything else, but would you really allow the person who always managed to mess things up run around on her own? You wouldn’t if you had common sense.

When the location appeared on my screen I followed it. At least she was still in the vicinity. When I got closer to her location I heard a moaning and chuckling. The same chuckle that would make blood rush to my cheeks. I got closer to the noise and I saw something that made my chest painfully heave. My mother was writhing under my fiance who was teasing her between kisses.

I felt my cheeks to feel that they were dry. Good, they didn’t deserve my tears. I can’t believe I trusted her. I gave her my attention and my devoted love only for her to betray me with scum itself. This is the last time I believe someone who tells me they love me.

I readied my camera and burst into the storage closet.

“And here I thought your uncles would be her target.” I commented.

When my presence was brought to their attention, Ivory had a crest fallen face and my mother wore an evil little smirk.

“F-Florence, I-I can e-explain-” Ivory stuttured out.

“I’m sorry sweetie but Mommy can’t help that she is irresistible.” The tramp annoyingly sang.

“I don’t care about what any of you have to say. I just want you both out of my life or I am sending this video to reporters, news stations, and websites.” I gritted out.

“Florence, baby.” Ivory tried.

“I don’t think so Ivory. You are going to march out to your family and tell them the wedding is off because you are a lying desire filled poodle and if you try to change the story on me I will send them all the video.” I promised.

Her sad expression turned into an enraged one. She was never fond about not getting what she wanted. This was gonna be an exception and I am going to revel in the sight.

I followed a grumbling Ivory out to the main hall. Everyone was confused. Ivory did exactly as I instructed. Then her family proved that they despised me. They accused me of framing their poor Ivory. That I was the woman who lacked morals. I was the one who didn’t deserve their daughter. So I sent the video to everyone on my contacts with the message to spread it. This was going to ruin their chances of marrying Ivory to a ‘beneficial family’ they so desperately wanted.

I left with a smirk on my face. They were definitely going to feel the blow to their reputation and they all deserved it. When I left the hall I felt lighter than I thought I would be. I went up to the hotel room I was staying in and grabbed my belongings. I got changed and made my way out to the lobby. When I got to the entrance I saw the crowd of paparazzi clamoring to get in. Then I caught the sight of the manager who guided me to the staff entrance.

“After the video of your fiance cheating went viral they got even more vicious.” She told me as she opened the door.

“You didn’t have to do this, but thank you.” I thanked her with a smile.

“Of course, when my boyfriend cheated on me the last thing I wanted to do was be questioned about it.” She shared with an empathetic half smile.

“We sure know how to pick them.” I joked with a chuckle.

Her smile brightened a bit and she laughed as well.

“That we do.” She agreed.

I walked through the doorway with the door about to close behind me.

“It gets better.” She assured me before the door completely closed.

I sure hope it did.

I took a bus to the university campus I worked at. I ran to the dean’s office. I caught him walking out of his office. When he looked up from his phone, a bewildered look graced his features.

“Florence? What are you doing here?” He asked me.

“I came to ask if you found anybody to replace me yet?” I answered him with a question.

“Why? Did something happen?” He asked. “Weren’t you supposed to get married today?” He remembered.

“She cheated on me minutes before the ceremony, so I high tailed it out of there.” I told him with a shrug.

“I’m so sorry.” He expressed his sympathy. “In regards to your job, I didn’t find a replacement, I’ll rip your resignation letter up after my meeting.” He offered with an award winning smile.

“I would really appreciate that sir. Thank you.” I expressed.

“No worries. I’m glad I didn’t have to replace you.” He said as we walked to the exit.

“Oh, you should inform your students that you are staying on at their professor.” He reminded me before taking his leave.

I took my phone out and sent an email to my classes. When I put in my notice, I assigned them a project with 2 months to work on it. I thought it would be enough time for them to find a replacement. Since I came back after a week I think I will just use it as their final project for the term.

My phone began to chime constantly. Every one of them was thrilled that I came back. Some of them even saw the video and suggested ways to get back at Ivory. I’m so glad that I didn’t marry her, I would have missed teaching more than I anticipated.

My phone continued to go off as I made my way to my friend’s classroom. He was currently in the middle of a lecture, but it wouldn’t be the first one for me to crash. I turned my ringer off and slipped into the back of the lecture room. Some students noticed me and began to whisper.

Angelo was explaining one of the many theories of the universe. It brought me back to our high school days when he realized his passion for science. I was always in the know of everything to do with scientific discoveries because Angelo would always rant about it. It didn’t matter the time or place. He had a knack for catching me on the toilet as well.

He was explaining another theory to do with evolution. He was overly enthusiastic about the subject. He always had this spark of joy in his eyes.

“Is everyone still with me?” He checked.

I threw my hand up and cleared my throat.

“No cuz that sexy voice of yours kept making me think of things we did behind closed doors!” I shouted out.

Angelo instantaneously turned. His confused look quickly changing to a huge smile.

“Honey blossom!” He squealed.

Angelo was as straight as a ruler, but even sometimes I would think he was a protractor. We even had our moments when he made me look more butch than I really am.

“What are you doing here? You were supposed to marry Ms. Bazillionaire!” He scolded.

“You didn’t love me enough to check your phone!” I feigned hurt.

His students snickered and giggled. They normally enjoyed our interactions, it was like a comedy break.

“My love, I have a class of hungry students with minds I need to nurture.” He tried to defend.

“Okay, then mind me giving a quick lecture to these hungry minds?” I asked as I playfully bat my eyebrows.

“You know I can’t say no to those eyes.” He said as he stuck his tongue out.

I jogged to the front of the class and connected my phone to the projector.

“What I am about to show you, dear students, is why you should never invite gold digging temptresses to your wedding.” I announced.

I played the video and by the time Ivory tried to talk everyone was booing the screen. Angelo grabbed me in his arms and held me to his chest. He yanked my face to his muscled chest. He underestimated the force and hurt my nose, so I hit him with my forehead which made him caress the back of head.

“Free study period! Read the chapter and we will discuss it later, bye!” He rushed his students out.

I listened to the commontion of students briskly leaving the classroom. When I didn’t hear anymore noise for a couple of minutes, I broke down. Angelo cooing and softly comforting with his platonic caresses.

“That batch got a lot of hate coming her way. Come to my place tonight. Deadra’s younger cousins are coming in to look at colleges in the area, so she is cooking a lot of mui delicioso food.” He tempted.

Deadra’s food was always amazing. Even if it was her first attempt it never failed to amaze my taste buds. Then again her family was coming over so I didn’t want to intrude. Before I could decline his offer, my phone reads a missed call on the projector screen. I saw Deardra’s name under the notification.

Angelo reached for my phone before I could flinch. He tapped a few times before putting it to his ear. Angelo answered and greeted his wife with his suave flirting skills. They laughed a bit before he put the phone on speaker and lowered it to me.

“Florence, you are staying with us for as long as you need, and I am making chop suey.” Deadra stated as a fact.

“D, you can’t just grab me by the goods like that.” I complained.

“Well too bad. Come on, I’ll put extra shrimp, bamboo shoots, and water chestnuts.” She used.

She knows my weakness. She knew my favorite dishes and my favorite parts of said dishes. I can’t go against her demand. Her chop suey is so dang good!

“Save me a I seat.” I groaned.

Deardra and Angelo celebrated their victory together. Then they ended the call after saying how much they loved each other. They were my goal as a couple. I wanted what they have. I thought I did. Now I have nothing else to do but be spoiled by them.

After Angelo finished up his classes for the day we headed for his house. We were talking about the cousins that were coming to visit.

“Wait, so which ones have you met?” He asked me.

“The ones that would get excited when I brought my dad’s bike around.” I answered.

“That was back in high school!” He laughed.

“Yeah, so I doubt they remember me.” I laughed back.

“Which ones do you remember?” He inquired.

I only remember a couple of them. I remembered there was this little boy who would always ask for a ride and the other boy who really enjoyed the sound of the engine.

“The bike fanatics who wouldn’t leave my side.” I remembered.

“Oh the twins.” He connected. “They are the ones coming.” He confirmed.

“Oh wow. Are they still infactuated with bikes?” I asked him.

“Yeah, which was really confusing when they said they wanted to study here.” He mentioned.

That is strange. The schools around here were never the first choice automotive schools. They were more like the 5th or 6th choice or if you registered near the cut off date. I wonder what they came here for?

We pulled into the driveway with dessert I bought. I hated showing up to a dinner empty handed. I even lucked out and was able to get the last few dozen of cream puffs from Deadra’s favorite bakeries. One dozen for Deadra, a dozen for me and Angelo to fight over, and a third one for the twins to share.

“Estoy en casa mi amor!” Angelo announced when we walked through the front door.

“I’m home too, my dear in the headlights!” I hollered after him.

Deadra popped out from the kitchen with her apron on and her hair in a bun.

“Welcome home, my love.” She said to Angelo as she kissed him.

“Welcome home, my flashing flower.” She teased as she embraced me in a tight hug.

“Hey that was a dare from your husband.” I defended myself against her nickname.

“Don’t worry yours is bigger.” She loudly whispered.

“I already know that!” I cackled as Angelo flipped me off.

As I wiped the happy tears from my eyes I turned to see two figures standing at the entrance. My breath was caught in my throat. Two young women with long and sleek blonde hair. Their features were sharp and their blue-green eyes captivating. They were a bit taller than me, making me notice their longer limbs. Then I realized I was practically checking out children. I shook my delusional thoughts out of my head.

I looked back to their faces. They were now wearing smirks that just made them even more tempting.

“Holy hot twins.” I muttered under my breath.

Then their smirks got even more mischievous.

“Honey blossom, you got quiet real-TYPE ALERT!” Angelo hollered out.

In a swift movement I turned around and slugged him in the arm. A blush starting to fill my cheeks. Deadra clasped her hand to her mouth to cover up her knowing smile. They both know my type and preferences, but the other two didn’t need to know anything. Especially since they perfectly matched my type more than Ivory ever did. I guess that means I settled.

“I told you we had a chance!” One of the twins cheered.

I snapped my head back to them. The twin who wore brighter clothes was covering the mouth of the twin wearing darker colors.

“I’m flattered, but my ability to trust people is in doubt at the moment.” I told them as nice as I could muster.

“We can wait until we can earn your trust.” They simultaneously commended.

I tilted my head at their statement.

“We waited 10 years, what’s a little longer? You are worth every second.” They both said together with identical smiles.

Angelo let out his impressed whistle gaining another glare from me. Instead of surrendering he tried to fight laughter. I was going to punch him in the mouth if he let the intensity of my blush slip. Nobody has ever talked to me like that. Not even Ivory told me I was worth something.

“I’m screwed.” I whispered to Angelo.

Like the best friend he was he agreed with me with a nod of his head. Having absolutely no faith in my resistance to their charms.

July 28, 2020 00:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Keerththan 😀
07:50 Aug 11, 2020

Loved the ending. Great story. Amazingly well written. Keer writing... Would you mind reading my story “The secret of power?”

Reply

Rawn A Lynn
00:07 Aug 12, 2020

Thank you. Your words mean a lot. Of course I wouldn't mind reading your story. Thanks again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nandan Prasad
10:52 Aug 02, 2020

Hey, great story! I really liked the ending. Overall, the dialogue is also smooth and natural, though I caught a few typos (infactuated for infatuated). Very well-written and keep writing!

Reply

Rawn A Lynn
01:41 Aug 03, 2020

Thank you :) I also appreciate you pointing out the typos. Thanks again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.