0 comments

Romance People of Color LGBTQ+

I stepped into an empty bus. There were only a handful of people inside. Not paying much attention I sat at the closest open seat. I took out a book from my bag and started reading it. 

“Dream State”

There are discussions over what dreams could possibly be. Some say dreams are just the brain trying to compartmentalize day to day events. While others say they are messages sent by higher beings. However some dreams feel too real, you can almost taste it, breathe it in. Could dreams also be memories of another life?” 

I contemplated the paragraph, If reincarnation were real could the soul recognize people from a past life? Possibly, I thought to myself. 

I was so deep in thought I didn’t realize someone had sat across from me and locked eyes with me. I came back and found brown eyes staring back at me. Deep round brown eyes. 

Neither of us looked away. Everything disappeared around us. A ray of sunshine casted on him, His eyes felt warm and…familiar. He smiled at me.  “I have the exact same book,” he pointed to the book and chuckled. “I just finished it, you'll like it. Trust me.” 

I looked down, “I’ll get back to you on that.” I grinned.

“Is that an invitation?” he tilted his head, his smile grew wider, dimples appeared. I blushed. 

-

“camila”

“Camila”

“Camila!”

I shot up, “what, what!”

“You should not be falling asleep during work, the supervisor is on his way here.” She raised her eyebrows at me. I nodded still groggy. 

The ringing of phones and the buzz of voices filled the air. People going from and to their desk. The shuffling of papers and clicking of pens. I looked out the window rubbing my cheek..

His eyes were still on my mind. I closed my eyes hoping that I could see him just a bit more. 

The doors were pushed open demanding the attention of everyone in the office. The buzz of the voices died down and the office grew quiet. The supervisor, stocked in grabbing everyone’s attention. He stood at the front of the office announcing the workload for the weeks ahead. I tried to focus but my mind was still in my dreams and the supervisor's voice disappeared around me. 

I felt my dream slipping away from me but I could still remember his dimples and his eyes. 

Later in the day I stopped by my favorite cafe near during lunch break. It had vibrant green plants and flowers decorated all around the cafe. They hung from the ceiling, watching over us throughout the day. They decorated the walls, corners and anywhere they could fit. It wasn’t crowded; they accompanied everyone who took a seat inside. 

I went up to the counter looking over the menu. I looked back down and saw a barista with their hair tied back in a bun. They struggled  mixing ingredients together in a cup. Two bright  orange band aids covered their fingertips. They must be new.

“Next” My attention returned. I stepped up and ordered. 

I picked a seat inside and looked out the window deep in thought. With my finger I gently traced my hand and closed my eyes. 

Brown eyes, dimples. 

The waitress brought my meal out. Momentarily distracting me from my thoughts.

 I pulled out my sketchbook and attempted to draw the guy from my dream but no matter how hard I tried I could not remember his face.

Two teenagers sat at the table next to me talking loudly. One of them had blonde hair and braids and the other had two small pigtails on their head.  

“Dude I had a crazy dream about some person and literally a few weeks later I met someone and I had deja vu and  I realized that my dream was the exact same as what happened! I’m not joking, the person was different but we met the exact same way as in my dream.” one of them said. 

“Maybe he’s your soulmate,” the other said.

Pigtails jumped “Oh My god!! What if he is!!” She grabbed onto her friend's arm. Shaking her around in excitement. “I'm going to text him”

“Because of a dream?” the other said. Her friend wasn’t listening anymore; she was too busy texting on her phone. 

Because of a dream. I laughed to myself. 

“Come on” 

“No” 

“Its alright i'll teach you, come on  you can’t be that bad”

“You'll be surprised” 

He wasn't planning on giving up anytime soon. He held his hand out, upbeat latin music played in the background. I sighed and hesitantly I took his hand. His hands were calloused and two fingertips were wrapped in bright orange bandaids. He slightly tightened his grip on me and tugged me towards him. I squealed. 

“I’m not going easy on you. Ready?”

“No”

“Alright!” he exclaimed, “follow my lead, okay. Listen to the music and let it guide you.” I followed his steps.

 Turns out he was just as bad at dancing than me. 

“Now one step behind then forward then to the right, wait your left my right. Okay a little faster, wai- ow” I laughed. “You can’t just keep changing direction like that” I grumbled . I kept stepping on him. “sorry , sorry……sorry” He laughed loudly. 

After a while we got the hang of it. He twirled me around and we danced around the fountain. I felt my heart pound faster and faster everytime he pulled me to his chest. 

But then my heel got stuck in a small crack in the sidewalk and my ankle twisted. He caught me but I couldn't move my foot. A shot of pain ran through my leg. I held onto him.

“You okay? Hang on to my shoulder” he crouched down and I leaned into him. He gently examined my ankle and asked where it hurt. ``There” I pointed. “Here?” I winced in pain. He caressed my ankle. “It’s alright,I got you” 

-

I pulled the covers closer to me. The dream already felt distant but I swear I could still feel his hand on my ankle. 

As more time passed by his warm hands were replaced by the chill air in the room. I flopped back into bed pulling the covers over my head. It had been days since I last dreamt of him. 

Remembering the dream I giggled to myself. I immediately got out of bed and wrote down as much as I could remember. I wanted to remember. 

I walked to my favorite cafe to grab some breakfast. As I stood in line I watched the workers and the way they prepared the drinks and food. A young boy hurriedly poured some syrup into a cup then moved to a different station. A few feet away a kid with short bright blue was heating sandwiches. 

“Next”

I looked over the menu one last time and turned to the employee. My eyes met with theirs. Kind dark brown eyes. 

“What would you like?” A soft quiet voice. Blood rushed to my cheeks. In an instant I forgot my order. My heart pounded against my chest. I'm sure if everyone stopped talking they would hear it. I looked back at the menu and tried to get my thoughts in order. “Ill..Uh..take a latte and…”i tapped my finger against the counter. “ a breakfast sandwich.” I avoid looking at them. I took a deep breath. As I paid I gave them a quick smile and left. 

In a hurry I grabbed my stuff and exited the cafe. I sat outside with my back to the cafe. I put my stuff down and cupped my cheeks. My heart was pounding furiously against my chest. Why am I acting like this? Just looking into their eyes I felt like the whole world blurred around me and all I could see were their eyes. I couldn’t even remember what they looked like. I shook off the feeling and calmed down. It’s nothing.

It's nothing. 

“Camila”

I jumped at the voice. Araceli laughed at my reaction. “You okay?”

“Yeah Yeah I'm fine just…thinking. ''she eyed me suspiciously “Sure” she melted into the seat next to me.” ugh, it’s too early to work, I’m not even halfway through the report that I have to turn in by the end of this week.” she complained. I focused on every word she was saying trying to forget what I just felt. “Ooh we should go for dinner together. It could be a date” she winked at me. I laughed and relaxed a bit until finally I calmed down. Hearing her voice soothed me despite how loud she was.  

I laid back against the blacket letting the sunlight kiss my skin.  The breeze was kind today, caressing me gently. The buzzing of voices and laughter of children grew distant. I felt myself sink deep into the ground. 

“Sorry! Sorry! The bus was late but I brought cake!” A familiar voice shouted. 

I kept still. 

“It's your favorite,” he teased. I kept my eyes closed. “Are you mad? Asleep?” The steps got close and he walked around setting the cake on the blanket.  He then walked closer to me. The warm sun was replaced by a shadow. He crouched down. “heyyy” he poked my forehead. “Don’t leave me here alone,” he complained. I tried to suppress a smile. “I know you’re awake.” He cooed.

I opened my eyes not anticipating how close he truly was. His face was only inches away from me. I pushed him away playfully and sat up. 

I checked my watch. “20 minutes late” I exhaled, shaking my head. “Forgive me please” He pleaded, clapping his hands together. I looked away and sighed. He got down on his knees and begged. I laughed seeing him on his knees. 

“hmmm….I don’t know this isn’t the first time you’re late. An apology isn’t going to cut it,” I crossed my arms.

“What! That's not true!” he scoffed.

“When we decided to meet at the library. A couple weeks ago. The restaurant. Last week after work.” I listed off. “ You have some of the worst time management I have ever seen.”

He was about to protest but then he pursed his lips. “I-” he dropped his shoulders. “Sorry, “ he sulked. 

The wind blew his hair to the side. His brown skin glowed under the sun. I smirked and got close. My heart pounded against my chest. I couldn't keep my eyes off of him even if I tried to. 

I tilted his head up, his eyes opened, surprised by my touch. “Maybe I'll forgive you if I can take a kiss? '' I bantered.  He blinked rapidly, blushing at my request. 

I let go, “I'll take that as a no,” I laughed.

“No…I I mean yes…to the kiss.” he looked up at me seriously. 

I stared into his eyes trying to decipher if he was being serious or not. The black ring hugged his brown eyes. They reminded me of fall when leaves turned brown covering the ground. At dusk, just before the sun disappeared behind the horizon and the night sky hung waiting for its turn or a campfire underneath the night sky. “Take it” he breathed. I was taken back by his acceptance. A blush crept up my cheeks.

I bent down, cupping his face and pulled him in. Could he hear my heart, pounding against my chest? I knelt down to the ground with him. The butterflies scattered in the pit of my stomach wanting to be released. Suddenly the wind felt colder and my skin raised. 

I let go. He stared back at me and we both laughed.

I gasped as I woke up. I could feel my lips tingle. The butterflies in my stomach wouldn’t settle down. I couldn’t go back to sleep. It all felt so real. I touched my lips reminiscing. I sat up and pulled my knees up, I hugged myself. Closing my eyes trying to keep the dream alive. 

Just a dream I had to remind myself. 

At the end of the day after work I stepped out of the building and walked to the train station. The sunset hung low in the sky. Night peaked over steadily creeping to its place. I sat down at the bench closest to me and waited for the train. I looked over the screen at the train arrivals. 12 minutes till the train arrived. 

I grabbed a book out of my bag but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't focus on the words.

 I sat back letting the book fall on my lap and looked to the sky. The sky held streaks of pink, purples and dark blues. It's been a while since the last time I saw the stars. The skyscrapers and city lights washed the night out so there was no chance of seeing them. 

Footsteps made their way up the stairs then to the other end of the bench. 

I looked across the station. An old lady walked up the stairs with two full bags in each hand. She sank into a bench letting go of the heaviness, letting it sit next to her feet until she had to pick it up again. 

The sound of coins falling to the ground grabbed my attention. A single penny rolled towards me hitting my shoe. I crouched down holding the book against me and picked it up. I looked at the person who dropped the coins. They were on their knees hurriedly picking up the coins and shoving them into their bag. I picked up a couple more and walked up to them. “You..uh dropped these” I said meekly. 

They looked up at me. Familiar dark brown eyes. “Oh thanks” they smiled, retrieving the coins. My heart dropped, the barista. My cheeks went red. I nodded and quickly went back to my seat.

“Don't you come to the cafe nearly everyday?” I jumped at their voice. They scooched closer to me. Wavy black hair flowing down their face. They tucked a strand behind their ear. 

“Yeah it’s my favorite place.” I mentioned. They nodded. I looked in front of me trying to ignore their presence.  

“Ooh diamond minds!” they excitedly pointed at the book. “I haven’t read it yet but I've heard only good things. Tell me how it goes, I'll trust your judgment” They grinned dimples appearing on their cheeks.

 “Sounds like an invitation” I whispered, smiling to myself. Their eyes slightly widened, “oh….uh..” they straightened up and chuckled, ”Yes…Yes it is” they said more confidently the second time.

I stayed silent for a moment. They grinned at me and I couldn't look away.  ‘I’ll take it” I smiled back at them. 

March 19, 2022 04:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.