0 comments

Drama Fiction American

One year. 365 days. 52 weeks. Twelve months. That is how long I have been trapped in a single room, with them. The Wyatts are a seemingly nice family until a pandemic hits and everybody gets trapped together waiting for it to end. I thought they were super nice taking me in but I was wrong.

Day One the deadly virus starts. The news report was being blasted on all television channels and radio stations warning of a deadly virus. A shelter in place order was being put into effect as well as a mandatory lockdown. My parents were doctors, so they were right in the middle of everything and not aloud to come home anytime soon for my safety. The neighbors found out and decided to invite me to stay with them; they have enough supplies to last a while. Everyone knew the Wyatts, knew how nice they were and I have had dinners with them before, so I did not hesitate. Little did I know how paranoid the Wyatts actually were, the four of us stuffed ourselves in a single room. The room has everything someone would need to survive like a kitchen, bathroom, washer and dryer, couch, tv set and internet connection. They have only two beds though, one for the husband and wife and one for their son. The son was nice enough to give me his bed while he took the couch. The wife and I cooked dinner together then I video chatted with my parents. They said the virus should not last long, maybe a couple of weeks.

Day Seven the fighting starts. Being cooped up together for a whole week has not brought the Wyatts closer as a family. They are starting to annoy one another. The son is use to his space and privacy, which is lacking in this single room. The wife is realizing how messy and lazy her husband is, I mean he will not even pick up after himself. The husband is tired of his wife’s constant nagging about him cleaning up. Before the lockdown the husband was at work almost all day, so the wife did not have to clean up after him as much. The husband does not understand why the wife is upset, which causes more bickering. I try to stay out of it by playing on my laptop or reading my books, but lately the husband brings me into it. He says I should help out more since I am here and not doing anything. Little does he know that I do way more than him, I clean and cook and do the laundry. They fight about other things too, but like I said I try to stay out of it. I think I am going to see about going home; it has to be better than this.

Day Twenty- One I can not leave. The Wyatts apologized for the fighting and are working on communicating to one another. The news report stated the virus has gotten worse so the government brought in a special group of people called the Enforcers; they make sure every one is staying home. They came door to door for a family count and I was counted with the Wyatts, so now I am stuck with them. My parents are still working at the hospital and are not allowed to leave until the virus goes away some. I still talk to them every day to get and give updates. Hopefully this pandemic is over with soon.

Day Fifty- six will this pandemic ever end? I have been here for over a month; the pandemic gets worse then better and worse again. The Enforcers are letting some people go out to get essential household items. The Wyatts over prepared so of course I can not volunteer to go get more supplies. It is getting worse here too with everyone stuck in one room all the time. The husband and wife are back to fighting so much that they do not even sleep in the same bed anymore. The son is not too bad, he let me have the couch but I felt that was unfair so we swap nights on it. The wife does not help keep the house clean anymore nor does she cook meals. The husband said that I have to do it now, to contribute to the household. I told him I could just go home, but I think he likes having power over me. The Wyatts are threatening me; they said if I try to leave they will call the Enforcers and say I have the virus. All the husband does is watch television and all the wife does is drink, and I do not mean water. This pandemic needs to end and soon.

Day 103 I have accepted my role. I am trying to keep the Wyatts happy doing what they ask without complaint. The news report said the virus is almost gone and that we can go out again. Of course the Wyatts will not let me leave though, saying it is still too dangerous. They took my laptop and cell phone and will only give them back if I do the chores they assigned me. I was able to talk to my parents and they should be coming home, so that means I can go home soon. The Wyatts monitor my conversation so I could not tell my parents everything that has happened. The Enforcers are still out and about enforcing the new mask and glove mandate. People can leave their houses, but they have to wear gloves and masks now and be home by eight. The husband is getting anxious sitting around, I think he is worried about money. The wife has been spending a lot on shopping online as well as her new drinking habit.       

Day 200 I am a prisoner. The Wyatts have gone psycho! The son left and has not come back, so the Wyatts think I am their child. I try to call my parents and they will not let me. They will not let me out of their sight. We started running low on some supplies and I volunteered to go get some more, but they ordered them online. I have no idea what is going on in the world because they will not let me watch the news. They still have my laptop and cell phone and refuse to give them to me at all now. The Wyatts believe the news is spreading lies about the virus being over. I just want to go home. I just want this nightmare to be over.

Day 302 I have accepted my fate. The Wyatts have the virus. Do not know how they caught it, but they caught it. The Enforcers are here, I told them that this was not my home. They said I have to wait for my test results to come back before I could leave, they said to limit contact. We are in a single room, how am I suppose to limit contact. The Enforcers said my parents were home and were looking for me, and that as soon as my test results cleared me I could finally leave. The husband got mad when I told the Enforcers I was not their child and that I could leave. The husband decided to cough on me.

Day 365 I have been here for a year. The Wyatts, all but the son, were gone. They were moved to a isolation camp. The Enforcers felt that was the best move since I tested negative. The son showed up and had to be tested too. He was negative as well. Over the last few weeks the Enforcers have been coming and going, checking on the Wyatts. I am in the clear though and can go home tomorrow. The nightmare was finally over.   

March 13, 2021 02:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.