0 comments

Fiction

Addison Reyes, the first female fighter pilot in the United States Navy, and also the first person of color to be a fighter pilot.

Since she was a little girl Addison loved the skies, she would spread her arms wide and pretend she was a bird flying.

When Addison was ten years old her grandfather, a pilot in his own right took Addison flying. She loved every minute of it.

At twelve years Addison's father, a pilot took her to an air show to watch the military planes. Addison was mesmerized by the pilots and the planes, from that time on Addison vowed to become a pilot.

Nobody believed Addison would become a pilot accept Addison. She studied everyday about what it took to become a pilot, even taking classes.

All through high school Addison tells her friends and teachers that she is going to become a fighter pilot, they didn't believe she could make. Addison worked day and night to improve her grades and in the end all the studying paid off.

Addison got accepted into the naval academy and from then on Addison's dreams of becoming a fighter pilot began to come true.

Addison graduate at the top of her class and went to the top flight school in the navy.

On the first day of flight school Addison is excited, she is the first one to arrive, then all the other pilot trainees started to arrive. Addison noticed she is the only woman there, but she didn't care.

The male pilots made fun of her saying a woman is not going to make it as a pilot or a woman's place is in the kitchen, despite all these comments Addison kept on going and in the end, she earned top flight, the best on her class.

Addison earned her wings by proving all the doubters wrong. She got assigned to the USS Ronald Regan, and thus began her career, and her career was the stuff of legend.

Addison flew missions all over the world from the Gulf war as a young pilot to Iraq and Afghanistan as a senior squad commander earning many accolades and the respect of her squadron and superiors.

Addison's call sign is Wild Cat.

After her 30th successful mission, a record Addison got some much needed time off. She flew home to San Diego, on the night she got home Addison spent time with her family eating good food and talking about the good old days.

After a long night celebrating with her family Addison went to bed, not realizing what her accomplishment means for future generations of women.

Addison dreams of what the future holds for women and girls.

Years into the future

The year is 2150 the one hundred sixty year anniversary of the gulf war and the year when Addison Reyes flew her first of many missions.

The entire country is honoring and celebrating the life and legacy of Lt. Addison Wild Cat Reyes, but at the Reyes house something unexpected is happening.

Addison is waking up, she opens her eyes, she sees nothing she recognizes, but there is something even more surprising awaiting Addison.

Addison gets up from her bed, she can't touch any physical objects. Addison tries to touch the night stand, but it passes right through her. She jumps back, and runs out of her room into the kitchen, but she doesn't recognize anyone.

Addison asks them who they are? she gets no response. She jumps up and down trying to get their attention, nothing happens.

Addison watches as a teenage girl enters the kitchen. She is mesmerized by the girl's appearance. Addison watches the girl talk to her parents.

The girl tells her parents that she can't wait for the celebration. Addison is wondering what celebration, then Addison spots a news clip and reads it.

"The celebration of the life and legacy of the first female fighter pilot Lt. Addison Wild Cat Reyes begins at 1 pm."

Addison looks on in stun silence. The girl turns around and Addison looks at her and it's like she's looking at her twin.

"The girl looks just like me." Addison tells herself.

Addison takes off back to her room, She has no idea what's going on, but she is going to find out.

Addison calms herself down and heads back to where the family is, she watches intently.

The mom calls her daughter Adalyn. Addison is shocked by the name, it sounds just like her name. Adalyn's mother tells her to get dress.

Addison stays in the kitchen watching the mother and father talk.

"Talk to me."

"I hope she is proud of us."

"Who are you talking about Addison or Adalyn?"

"Both."

"Both Addison and Adalyn are proud of you of us."

"This is big for our family Kathy."

"I know."

Addison is shocked, this is her future family she is seeing.

Why is she seeing them?

Addison turns around and walks to the family room. In the family room Addison sees the awards she has won hanging on the wall. On the stand next to her awards, she sees her flight suit and a replica of her fighter jet, then she sees pictures hanging on the wall.

Addison looks at the pictures. She sees herself in the pictures as a young woman and then as an old woman. The pictures of a young Addison she remembers, but the pictures of an old Addison she does not recognizes nor does she remember.

"This can't be." Addison whispers.

Addison hears Adalyn's voice. She turns around and sees her family at the door. Addison follows them.

When Addison walks outside, she sees a world vastly different world than her own. She looks up at the sky and sees flying cars, a train with no tracks and new and improve filter jets, and so much more.

Addison sees a group of young girls in flight suits running towards a landing strip where the fighter jets are parked. She looks at the faces of those young girls and it makes her happy to see that they want to be pilots.

Addison follows Adalyn and her parents to the landing strip, but before she enters Addison notices a wall to the right of her. She walks to the wall and it says.

"Wall of Honor. Here on this wall stands the legacy of Lt. Addison Wild Cat Reyes, with over 30 successful missions flown, the most ever by a woman Lt. Reyes earned her place in history as the greatest pilot in United States Navy history."

"Wow. This is unbelievable."

Addison with tears in her eyes walks to the where the large crowds of people are gathered. She stands in the shadows listening.

"Ladies and gentleman as many of you know today we are celebrating the life and legacy of Lt. Addison Wild Cat Reyes, the country's first female fighter pilot. I am honor to be here on this day not only to celebrate this incredible woman, but to honor what she did for our daughters. Addison Reyes inspired many young girls past and present to be and do whatever their hearts desires and I can proudly say that my daughter and niece have aspire to be pilots, just like there many times over great grandmother. Here is my niece Adalyn."

Addison is moved by the speech.

Adalyn walks up to the podium and begins to speak.

"Hello everyone. My name is Adalyn and today we honor a very special woman, my many times over great grandmother. Ever since I was a little girl, I heard countless of stories of the great Addison Reyes. She went after her dreams when everyone around her told her she couldn't do it, but there words didn't stop her. She went after her dream and she achieved her dreams despite all the negativity. I am proud to call her grandmother and I am proud that I get to commission Addison Reyes fighter jet the Wild Cat as a. historical monument so everyone of us gets to enjoy what we love. Thank you."

Addison begins to cry as she stands next too Adalyn. They both look at the Wild Cat fighter jet, then Addison moves next to her fighter jet and looks out at all the young girls she has inspired.

Addison smiles.

After a long day of celebration Addison goes back to her home and jumps into bed. She falls asleep happily knowing that her dream of inspiring young girls has come true.

September 16, 2021 18:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.