It's Sweet

Submitted into Contest #63 in response to: Write about two characters going apple picking.... view prompt

3 comments

African American Christian Romance

"I think it's sweet." peyton said suddenly out of the blue. "what is?!" I asked anxiously and curiously. "that your family takes care of the apple orchard in town." He answered while examining a pink lady apple. "oh." I let my shoulders drop in disappointment. We continued picking apples quietly for a bit, but then I had the urge to break the silence. "I am thankful really."

"who said you weren't?" silence. "you must think this is funny don't you?"

"what's there to laugh at? you love apples."

"yes but not more than I love baking.'' Peyton then looked at me and smirked. "what?" I narrowed my eyes at him in suspicion. " OH POOR CHARLIE! do you need some tissues for your issues?" He teased. "I didn't think it would end so quickly, p! I was just getting there... I just got there." I plopped down next to the group of granny smith apples I picked. Peyton looked at me passionately. The sunlight in his eyes was so bright that I could see myself in them surrounded by a fern green river. If chocolate people like me could blush, my face would be apples by now. Peyton's skin was the vanilla ice cream, and strawberry when he blushed. I tuned back into what he was saying after a moment. "- Charlie, they loved it. they even said you could start your own bakery business." He gently placed his hand on my shoulder as he sat beside me. "...they cheated." I murmured with a crack in my voice. "and what did you do?" I folded my arms and lifted my nose to the sky. " that's not it...you let them go. you didn't turn them in."

"why did I do that, peyton!?" I cried. " you saw them struggling. God just let you know how he felt about it." He responded. I scoffed "they took the one ingredient I needed. that I brought. from my own house..."

" God allows others to see what you have. that makes them hungry." my eyes started to water. "but, why out of all, take mine?"

"God had to show you that YOU won.but...in a different way. Think of it like this. You are this, beautiful honey crisp apple, fresh right from the tree. But here comes an apple from a bad tree,trying to steal your position. But they can't, because God made you with a unique sweetness no one can take from you." I laughed in awe but still struggled to accept what I had done. " even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit." My joy jumped back in me "Matthew 7:17..."

"that's my girl." He chuckled. I still couldn't accept part of this, it made me feel a little guilty. " So It's okay that I just let go of my chance to free my family from low income...?" I choked. "it was God's choice."

"that I didn't get the prize for a new home?"

"God has a better place." I could feel some tears rolling down my cheeks. there was silence again.

" I think it's sweet."

"...what is?" I sniffed, wiping away tears.

"that you didn't get that prize or the new home."

"what?" I asked, hinting that I was already hurt.

"you almost left me." I thought. I pondered. and realized I almost won a house tons of miles away from peyton. I gasped and felt the tears rising again as he pulled me in,holding tight. " I think it's sweet. the way God planned it... don't you?"


“An apple pie?”

“An apple pie!”

I stood there staring at her trying to put everything together

“F-for what, exactly?”

“Um, our wedding peyton.” I paused for a moment.

“ are...you feeling okay charlotte?” she laughed. “Peyton imagine this! Instead of a cake, we have a giant apple pie!”

“...is age 18 too young for marriage? I could wait for you charli-”

“NO! I want this! I’m ready peyton. I’m just thinking what if!” she spun around and stared into space. “We could do something completely different you know? A unique kind of-WOAH-wedding?” I interrupted her “-and it will be! You know why?”

“Why?” her eyes lit up. That’s when I lost it. The lights in my house had revealed the true color of her warming brown eyes, reminding me of the flare of burning wood in the fireplace. I felt a rush of heat flow through my cheeks and I regained my composure. “- because- your bakery is opening the same week! Amazing right? Blessings on blessings, charlie.” I saved it.

“Yes! It’s going to be amazing and Sweet and romantic-” she kept going on and on. But I knew how she felt. I was just waiting for her to open up to me. I could wait. “Are you coming with me to meet with my family?”

“Yes I’m coming.” although I felt a bit anxious about getting it out of her mind. I was tired of seeing her worry so much. It’s been like this ever since that baking competition. I needed her to let go and just trust. Trust me. And trust God. “ ahhh geez…” there she goes

“What’s wrong?” I didn’t hesitate to assist her.

"Where could I have put my wallet…?" 

"Where is your purse?... were you planning on buying something?"

" nope, just thought to bring it."

I knew what that meant. I made the decision not to stop her or lecture her. We arrived at her parent's house and greeted her mom at the door. 

“Yes! Please come in! Spend some time with your mama.” My mother in law welcomed us cheerfully.

“Where’s mr. P, mom?” charlie asked as she sat on the couch

“ He went to help his brother with some business work, what are you two doing out? You usually come on wednesdays and saturdays…” she questioned before taking a sip of tea.

“Oh what kind of tea is that you’ve got ther-”

“Charlie!” both my mother in law and I called.

“ She’s got you in this too, huh peyton?”

“She won’t talk about it with me either.” I whined

“Charlie, don’t give me any more money.”

Charlie’s face looked shocked then she calmed down and tried to speak but nothing came out. “We know, charlie. Now it’s time to talk about it.” I came and sat beside her. Her eyes lit up again. Then her mom began to explain. “I see that you’ve been holding on to that pain for a while…” she began. “What pain?” Charlie cleared her throat. “ You are a great daughter, charlie. I’m very proud of you. Don’t think that it’s your job to make sure the family’s needs are met.” Charlie shook,then I comforted her. “ God always plans it out for us instead.” I added, then her mother continued. “God didn’t say that the baking competition was for a financial breakthrough, and don’t think because you didn’t win that it was your fault our family was still in debt.” that hit the mark. “What? You guys think I’m still stuck on that? What makes you think that??” she hid her guilt under a confident smile. I turned away and answered “you’ve been lending our life savings to them… a lot…” I felt her head hit my shoulder and she began to whisper “no I- I just wanted to take care of-”

“We are already taken care of, Charlie. God hasn’t stopped taking care of us for a second.” her mother saved it. 

“...okay okay okay.” she motioned her hands as if to pat something down.

“I won’t lend any more money… unless you ask then of course…” she declared and I embraced her. “But, how can I repay you mom?”

“Just keep visiting me,send some gifts, and maybe take me and your step father out to dinner a couple of times!” she and I both laughed. “We can manage that.” I said trying to hide some relief. “Thanks miss p.” I hugged my mother in law and walked Charlie out. “Thanks mom! See you later!”

“You two make sure not to eat on saturday, I want you to come over and try my new dish!”

“We will!”

As soon as we got home I swung Charlie around and she laughed at me. I could tell God was easing her stress one situation at a time. And I was thankful for it. She then waved me goodbye and I drove back home in peace.

“Good morning!” I greeted peyton on the phone.

“Hey- you’re up early.” he spoke in a soft snore.

“Yes of course I am! Just getting ready to come over to your place.”

“HUH?” startled, he dropped his phone. I giggled in excitement. I only desired to come over and plan our wedding. Although part of me felt it was wrong of me to intrude, after letting go of ‘taking care’ of my family I just got the sudden urge that I could be working on something else. Even something other than college work. I was a B+ B- kind of freshman and he was an A- type. Peyton inspired me to work above and beyond when it came to planning. I thought that it was what married couples do all the time. “What time are you coming?! I’m not even dre-*COUGH*” he stopped himself realizing what I shouldn’t know. I laughed even more at this and felt my face go numb after smiling so much. “Is 9 oclock good?”

“Yes that works for me charlie.” he laughed

“See you then sweetie!” I hung up on him immediately and rushed to get ready. I packed notebooks,pencils, and the cash that I had just withdrawn from the bank. After I finished my hair I collapsed on my bed to see that it was 8:30. I sighed and picked up my phone again to scroll through pictures of me and peyton. “ gosh it feels like that competition was only yesterday…” I laughed to myself. “ and as if he just proposed to me today…” I turned over and plopped my hands at the sides of my bed. “ a Husband…I have...a” my phone started ringing. “Oh it’s those real estate business people… decline!” I declared as I swiped my phone screen to the right. Before all the business papers,wages, and agreements were finished, I was worried about getting a building just to run my bakery business. Peyton and I ran around trying to find ways to get one, then God blessed me right out of the blue right when we gave it a rest. The deed to the building is mine and we soon will be hosting a grand opening! Once I get all my bakery supplies and goods of course… The whole thing is a work in progress. I drove over to peyton’s house which was most gorgeous in the fall due to the wide range of colours the leaves changed to a brilliant reddish orange. When you tried to blur your sight by squinting, the leaves almost looked like falling hearts as the wind blew. I got out of the car and saw him open his door. We hugged and sat down to talk. 

“ what’s our plan?” I began.

“...plan for the wedding?” he cleared his throat.

“Yes of course silly! Tell me what I should do and I’ll get to work on it right away.” I pulled out a notebook and my pencils spilled out on the floor. I felt anxious, and I knew he could tell. I rushed to pick up all my pencils and then felt his gentle hand lift my chin. “ Why are you so worried? It’s all covered and ready.” I perked up “I’m not worried about anything! I just want to help and get something done-” he picked up all my pencils, stood me up and took my backpack away. At that moment I knew he was trying to get me to focus on him and just talk. So for the rest of the morning we had a conversation about how we both felt, and came up with a conclusion that made us both open our eyes. I was too caught up in “making things right” when we needed to discuss it first,so that we were able to work together. Peyton was doing all the work by himself and needed a break while I started something instead of running around to everyone else. From that day forward I promised him I’d do things a bit differently.


“Is the cake here yet!?” I spun around the corner and made my aunt jump.

“Y-yes dear, it’s been here since I got here.” she answered with concern in her voice. “Peyton are you feeling okay?”

“Yes of course I am! This is the best day of my life! My wedding day, and the day of her business’s grand opening! 2 blessings back to back! In one day!” I exclaimed running my hand through my hair,messing up the swoop.

“ -she looks like a chocolate cake with vanilla frosting!” we could her charlie’s younger cousin describing the way she looked, making all the women laugh and “aww!” in the restroom. When I heard it my heart started pounding like a beatbox and I felt my cheeks burn, and I began to imagine that chocolate cake with vanilla frosting. Her cousin walked out and looked at me and sang to tease me “he’s blushing! He’s blushing! Because he loves charlie!” I laughed and pinched her nose “thanks for telling me, Evie.” she giggled and ran off as charlie's older brother, Jake, came down stairs looking for me. “Peyton! Bro, you can’t be down here yet your not supposed to se-”

“-Not supposed to see charlie yet. I know, I’m just…” I sighed, plopped down in my chair and leaned back. “ this is hilarious.” jake said.

“-what?”

“And...it’s sweet.” I sat up and stared at him.

“ I spent years listening to her talk about how much she loves you,and how you make her go APPLES.” he and I laughed, but our expressions were melancholy. “ I guess it took me a while to accept that God was saying it WAS you…” I got mad but felt tears falling. He embraced me and slapped my neck. “ I’m really glad God put you guys together. You changed her life,bro.” I chuckled and wiped a tear away,as he pulled away. “Jake?”

“Yeah?” 

I sniffed. “ I told you to stop slapping my neck, bro.” we both laughed more

“Come on let’s get you up stairs, man. Your face is so red, if she saw you, she would faint.” We went up stairs and I was greeted by family, friends and even teachers. Moments passed by and before I knew it, the ceremony had begun. My head was spinning,heart racing, although everything was slow paced I just couldn’t calm myself. Then I heard, “he will keep them in perfect peace, whose mind stays on him.” I lightly chuckled and heard the music suddenly go sweetly dim, and I heard “Look.” I turned to see her. And I honestly thought I saw a crown on her head as she strode passed the first row of friends seated in the back, who were smiling,sniffling and wiping their eyes constantly. For moments my heart was overwhelmed within me, but I was calm at the same time. It took me a while to realize I was crying again, but what I was concerned about was how Charlie wouldn’t look up at me right when our hands met. I squeezed her hands to get a signal to her, she gently moved her fingers. Somehow I knew she felt stiff...or that she had to be. We soon got to our vows and my joy was restored when I made Charlie and the whole church laugh, then it was her turn. she caused the whole church go “awww!” perking up, she relaxed. “You may now, kiss the bride.” I swung her and gave her a peck. She was startled but laughing along with the church, patting me at the chest. The rest was so much fun. Feeding each other cake, dancing, talking about the past! Breathtaking. But now things were going to get a bit more crazy. “Business time?” she asked. I nodded. “We’re going undercover.” We took one last picture and zoomed to attend the meeting.it was crazy enough to find out there was time to schedule a meeting on our wedding day, but we didn’t tell anyone,our little secret. The agent we were sent to laughed at us for trying to get the work done on our wedding day, but everything was settled and all we had to do was set up shop. It was funny though, how we had struggled to come up with a name for the bakery. “...charlie and peyton’s?...no” I brainstormed. “CP’S bakery shop?” charlie suggested. “No.” we both disapproved in unison. “This is hilarious. The very last thing we need to do is come up with a name…”

“Hilarious, the name should have been the first thing…”

We were dressed in our casual outfits, we didn’t want to ruin our wedding clothes of course.then I thought back to the beginning. “I loved that. The way we signal each other...I understood that when you rubbed my hands, that you felt stiff.”

“...and I understood when you swung me,that you wanted me to loosen up.” We laughed at each other and stared for moments and we held each other. “You know what I think, peyton?”

“Hm?”

“I think it’s sweet.”

She smirked at me and started picking through the giant letters we’d bought for the bakery name. I chuckled and started looking for them too.



October 15, 2020 13:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

12:16 Oct 24, 2020

Hi Your story fits your intended audience well. I would invite you to revisit your text to check sentence structure, as one example. Keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bill Brooks
10:41 Oct 22, 2020

Hi there. I was prompted by Reedsy to review your story. It was a sweet story, very heartfelt, thanks for writing it! I can give you a few tips on some things I noticed that you could tighten up on the next one: - Dialogue from different characters should be paragraph separated. I found it difficult at times to determine who was speaking. - Your first person Point of View skips between Charlie and Peyton throughout, which is also confusing. First person is always from the same person's point of view unless it is broken up somehow, li...

Reply

Glory Williams
19:29 Oct 22, 2020

Thank you so much! And god bless you! The feedback you've given me really helps now that I know how to organize dialog by character... i sure hope there's a way to keep my story with the narrative switch still 😅

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.