Write a story about a family dinner that involves some kind of reconciliation.

Submitted into Contest #17 in response to: Write a story about a family dinner that involves some kind of reconciliation.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Write a story about a family dinner that involves some kind of reconciliation.

 

By Josey P

 

 

I can't tell you how many years have passed since all four of them were in the same room. Growing up They never did get along. There was only one, I'll call her Mary

 She tolerated and spoke to all of them up until 17 years ago. Keep in mind now that they all live in the same state. Three in the same town that they grew up in.  

 

The year was 1968. With the parents deceased along with all their siblings and most cousins they were all they had left except for 3 children and 3 grandchildren.  

Brandon the sixteen year old eldest grandchild heard about uncles but never could understand why he never met them. 

 

He and his fifteen year old sister Aleisa knew that their Nana had little time left and wanted to do everything they could to make her happy. They secretly enquired with their mom and Aunt about the family. They recall passing John’s house and Nana saying  "my brother lives there. He built that house and the magnificent flagstone fireplace my father built. “The children asked if they could stop and visit. Each time they asked Nana would say "not today but maybe someday. "

 

Nana was turning 86 on her birthday Brandon and Aleisa planned for months to bring all four of the siblings together plus the three children and all three grandchildren.  We are talking ten family members in one room. Brandon saved all his paper route money and Aleisa saved all her sewing money from helping Mrs. Wilson after school.  Me, I sold my marbles and fishing pole. It was grandpas but I'm sure he would have approved. Grandpa got along with everyone.  

 

My brother and sister wrote letters to everyone saying they won a prize of a lifetime. See. Aleisa had fantastic handwriting. They called it calligraphy or fancy writing.  They had to show up at Stanley's diner on route 7 at exactly 6 pm. They had to bring their entire family. That was easy as Al had no wife or children and John had a wife once. Our Aunt had one child Kevin and no husband. We told never to ask. So this left my mom, dad me Brandon, Aleisa, Nana and Theresa.  

 

Mom took Nana from the home and drove her to the diner. She had on Pearl's. Lipstick and as she called it “pale nolish". It was red. 

 

As we walked in the diner which by the way Mr. Stanley was in on it thanks to my sister. It was a small town and everyone knew everybody. There was no need for a newspaper as the news spread as fast as a hornet's nest getting poked by a stick. 

Nana sat at the head of the long tables as they were little tables all pushed together. The diner wasn't very big so if everyone showed up, well that would take up half the diner. 

A stranger came in. Was that Uncle Al or Uncle John?

 He had a long white beard, small eyes. My bet it's Uncle John. I walked up to him and pointed to my Nana and said that's my Nana 

 Are you my uncle John?". Frighten of what his response would be I stepped back. Shocking to say but my uncle said “sure looks like her. I reckon it is". He asked who I was and how old I was.  

About ten minutes later another man came in. He looked about with a smirk on his mouth and said "this but be the right place. It's old Al.. Mary how the hell are you?” he said to Nana. 

It was as cold as ice but the room suddenly warmed up as everyone settled in and placed their dinner orders. 

Aunt Donna began to reminisce in a negative way. Bringing up all the ugly past. John, the oldest nipped it in the bud quickly and sternly. He said we were all here for a reason. We all raised our glasses as he toasted whoever was responsible for bringing us together I thank you. It's been too many long harsh years. I propose we meet once a month and cherish each other. 

Mary you were always the rock of the family. 

Nana sat there with smiling nonstop. As we took her home she was quiet yet happy and I just knew she would rest easy tonight.  

 

The next morning my uncles both called to talk to Nana. She was still sleeping. Which was unusual as she always was up at four am? Mom was getting concerned and went to check on her. There was a letter on her night stand.  

 

It read “Dear grandchildren. My times have been creeping up as I warned you many days. I can’t thank you enough for the most perfect evening. My family was once again together. It pleased me dearly to see my brothers and sister in the same room with little bickering. A pleasant dinner, seeing them and catching up. Did you see how your uncles got to know you all so quickly? They had love in their voices. 

I'm going to bed now with no fears of not seeing tomorrow but know you three were the light of my life. While sitting at the table, I looked around and didn’t see the anger, the old bad times we all endured. I saw the time when Al and I would be building a snow fort in the bitter cold. The time when John was babysitting us and your Aunt lit the curtains on fire. The time when our mom served liver for dinner and they told Al it was steak and watched him gobble it up fast. Those were the days.

 

I leave you with three important words. Love, live. Life. Cherish all three each day and night. You will understand one day.

 

Mom contacted mom’s siblings to tell them the news and let them know when the funeral was. None of them were ever heard or seen again. In case you were wondering about me, I am Brandon’s little brother Eli. I am 8 years old and I hope my family doesn’t ever put my mom through the heart ache that Nana suffered.

 

November 28, 2019 20:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.