Older mind

Submitted into Contest #1 in response to: Write a story about someone turning 100 years old.... view prompt

0 comments

General

I sat down on the hospital bed, taking in the fragile old lady I called Grandma. She was lying, propped up and covered in thin blankets, by a window. From there she would be able to see the busy city streets and watch those lucky enough to be able to walk on their own and live their lives.

It must be tormenting, painfully tormenting.


“The big 100 eh Gran” I whispered to let her know I was there. 

She didn't reply so I gently took her hand in mine and squeezed lightly.

“Come on Grandma, it's me, Jen” I said softly and this time her eyelids fluttered open.


Her pale grey eyes took me in, surveying my cropped brown hair and flannel jacket. She smiled and her lips trembled a bit with the effort.

“Oh my, is that you Franny?” my Grandma croaked and I felt a tiny pang in my heart.

She didn't remember me.

“No Gran, its Jen, your Granddaughter” I reminded her.

She didn't hear me and patted my hand.

“Well Franny, it's lovely to see you” she told me and I noticed how faint her voice was. 

“You know, you and your siblings are the greatest thing in my life” she carried on, now looking out at the blue, cloudless sky.

I felt tears sting my eyes as she addressed me as her daughter.

“Grandma, I am Jenny, Jen your Granddaughter, please remember me!” my voice broke and a single tear rolled down my cheek.

It landed on her veiny hand, a freckle on her papery skin magnified through the water.

I wiped a hand across my face and swallowed my tears, this was meant to be a happy day.


“Well, umm I bought you a birthday cake, your favourite double chocolate” I said, pulling out the cake I had made. It was decorated with colourful sprinkles and had thick layers of buttercream in between each cake.

 Gran looked at me and smiled.

“Thank you, I can have some later” she said and I nodded. A nurse stepped forward and took the cake off me. I held on for a moment before I realised she was putting on the table.


“So Grandma, are you feeling any older?” I asked, attempting a joke. She looked at me and furrowed her brow.

“No Franny, should I?” she replied and I felt another pang.

“Yes Gran, 100 years ago today you were born, you are 100 now.”

 She looked confused and she was starting to drift off again.

I sighed, knowing my visit was coming to an end.


Just as I made to leave, a felt my something lightly squeeze my hand. I turned around and saw my Gran, eyes open and a warm smile on her face.

“See you next time Franny” she whispered and I felt my heart break.

“sure... see you next time Gran”

I felt like I would choke on the words but I didn't and left without her knowing who I was.




Later that night I got a phone call, telling me that my Grandmother had passed away on her 100th birthday.




August 07, 2019 06:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.