11 comments

Funny Fiction

My fingers stumbled to find the mute button as Boris’s blue-streak of obscenities filled my small flat. Gazing intently at my clients on Zoom, I tried to discern whether they’d heard anything. Was that a repressed smirk on Cressida’s perfectly-lined lips?


Despite Alex repeatedly assuring me that Boris could be subdued with a blanket over his cage, I could hear him screeching through the bedroom door. I walked in and yanked the blanket off, hoping to surprise him into silence. He stared at me sideways, one black beady eye boring into me. He clicked his tongue, like an elderly gent tsk-tsking at my lack of etiquette. He scooched closer to me, his claws clutching the wooden perch, still side-eyeing me. It was unnerving and I was unnerved.


I leaned my head toward him, hoping to establish a level of bonhomie. “Boris” I whispered, aren’t you a pretty boy.” The orange tuft on his head flicked up. I hoped that was good sign, but equally it could be a warning. I had no idea. I’d never taken care of a bird. Alex dropped him off earlier this morning. He must have been desperate to entrust his parakeet to me, given how many plants I’ve killed and my ongoing battle to catch the vole that snuck into my flat nightly to eat my aloe vera plants.


“Just change his water once a day, and feed him twice a day, and I’ll be back in 3 days,” Alex assured me. “And don’t let him out of the cage. He’ll find a way to escape the flat, and he’ll crap everywhere.” I nodded numbly, overwhelmed by the sudden responsibility.


“Effing Pretty” Boris chirped. “Yes,” I concurred, “you’re a pretty boy.” He looked at me quizzically. “Effing Priti Patel” he corrected. And with that we headed into hazardous political waters. Alex was no fan of the UK’s home secretary, Ms Patel, and Boris shared that opinion. “Effing Priti, effing Priti, effing Priti Patel,” he repeated in a singsong voice. My neighbours, staunch conservatives, were no doubt wondering what miscreant I was entertaining through my paper-thin walls.


I went back to my computer and searched for how to shut-up parakeets. Two hours later I was none the wiser, though my spirits were lifted by watching funny animal videos, including a raven using a plastic lid to sled down a snowy rooftop in Russia.


I covered Boris’ cage again and crept into bed. I was half-way through the Wonderful Wizard of Oz, which I was reading as background research for a short-story I was trying to write. After 10 pages, I switched the light off and pulled the duvet up to my chin.


In my dream, a flock of ravens descended on a snowy bank and proceeded to make snow ravens. The handsome man next to me said, “Actually, a group of ravens is referred to as an unkindness, or sometimes a conspiracy of ravens.” I nodded conspiratorially and said, “a group of crows is a murder. Why do you think there are so many negative words about birds?”


The man, who reminded me of a professor I had in college, who in turn, reminded me of Ichabod Crane continued, “Many of the terms we use for collective nouns referring to specific groups of animals came from an English hunting tradition of the Late Middle Ages.”


“Ah,” I added sagely.


“There’s an asylum of cuckoos, a piteousness of doves, a mischief of magpies.”


“Mm hmm,” I encouraged, placing my hand lightly on his thigh, feeling the rough texture of his tweed trousers.


“A murmuration of starlings, a contradiction of sandpipers, a pandemonium of parrots,” Professor Crane purred into my ear. His lean fingers gently brushed the hair from my face as he leaned closer. Little clouds of breath dissipated in the cold air. He tugged more insistently on my hair, his fingers digging into my scalp.


The strange pressure on my skull, as if my head was the snowy bank upon which the ravens were revelling, awoke me. I reached up to smooth my hair and something clamped on my pinky finger. The screaming was simultaneous, loud and equally obscene. “What the f*ck!” I yelled as turned on the bedside lamp. “What the f*ck,” Boris echoed, a bit more calmly, as he perched on my pillow, his head tilted curiously in my direction.


“How the hell did you get out of your cage?” I demanded, looking at him and then still-covered cage, and back at him. He tilted his head the other way. “What the f*ck?” he asked. I started laughing, relieved that bony fingers of my dream was not something more ominous. Boris laughed too, like Woody Woodpecker.. “Ha ha ha ha ha, Ha ha ha ha ha, hahahahaha.”


I walked over to his cage, and removed the blanket. The cage door was closed, but unlatched. I looked at Boris. He was on my bedside table, drinking from my glass of water and crapping on the Wizard of Oz. “Boris” I lamented, “what the hell?!” He started his Woody Woodpecker laugh again. “F*ck,” I breathed out in annoyance. “Can you get back into your cage please?” I asked, gesturing toward the now open door on the cage. He declined. Our conversation was interrupted by a rapid knocking on my front door.


I quickly wrapped a robe around me, and peeped through the peephole, to see the face of my elderly neighbour Emma. Unlocking the door I opened it a crack to see what she wanted. “Dora”, her voice wavered as she looked at me with concern.


“Yes, Emma?”


“I heard screaming. And quite a commotion. Henry thought I should check on you,” she said.


“Oh, er, yes, sorry about that. I was having a bad dream,” I stammered.


“What the f*ck?!”


My eyes darted involuntarily to the bedroom. Boris sounded disturbingly human with that last outburst.


Emma gazed steadily at me, one eyebrow raised in question…or judgement.


“That’s just Boris. He got out of his cage and he won’t go back in, and he’s defecated on the bed, and I’m sorry we disturbed you.”


“What you do in privacy of your own home is your business, but please keep it down,” Emma said as she walked back to the door of her flat.


I shut the door and locked it, shuffled back into my bedroom, laughing as quietly as I could. Boris was back in his cage, the bottom of which was now littered with pages from the Wizard of Oz. I turned off the light and hoped for a dreamless night. 

December 23, 2020 17:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Philip Clayberg
03:38 Dec 27, 2020

An amusing story (despite the swear words). Thank you for writing it. This story reminds me of what parents have been warned about what they say around their children. Children are tape-recorders. They repeat what they've heard, whether it's something polite, or something rude, or something flat-out crude. Parrots are like children. They learn what to say from those around them (whether or not a cracker is promised as a reward). If you swear around a parrot, it will likely start swearing, too (and probably with a voice sounding like y...

Reply

H L McQuaid
12:07 Dec 27, 2020

Thanks for your comments. Absolutely agree about 'parroting' swear words. Your comments also made me reflect on one the more surprising culture clashes I encountered after moving to London. Cursing isn't really considered that rude in Britain (certainly not to the extent that it is in the US), as you'll get nearly all walks-of-life using the f-word (and more!). And I didn't know lyre birds were so loquacious and versatile. :)

Reply

Philip Clayberg
20:03 Dec 27, 2020

You're welcome. I find that my twin nephews (who are about 29 1/2 now) find cussing/swearing to be no big deal (even when they do it around my mother; who has started doing it more than she used to). I try to avoid cussing/swearing except when I'm alone. It does pop out of me when I fall and hurt myself (especially when it happens out in public). I remember a time (about 25 or 30 years ago, I think) when I used to cuss/swear at least more frequently than I do now. When I was having lunch at a Silver Diner with my middle brother, he noti...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
David G.
03:31 Dec 26, 2020

Well done! Nice turn at the end with Boris as co-conspirator. Is there a Wizard of Oz angle with the dream sequence that I’m missing?

Reply

H L McQuaid
12:18 Dec 27, 2020

Thank you! And many thanks for your comment. I was thinking about how to bring in more Wizard of Oz elements besides the dream sequence and the names of the main character (Dora as a nod to Dorothy) and the neighbours (Em/Emma and Henry). Professor Crane reminded me of the Scarecrow, as he's lanky and brainy, so perhaps I could have played that up a bit more. Hmm. It's a fine line between a knowing nod and making the connections too obvious, but I could push things a bit further.

Reply

David G.
13:45 Dec 27, 2020

I see it now. I'd forgotten some of those names from the Wizard of Oz! It's always a fine line, and it's one that I struggle with all the time. If it's too subtle, I worry that the reader will miss it entirely, but I'm always anxious about making it too obvious and insulting the reader. Again, nice story. I hope you'll keep writing here!

Reply

H L McQuaid
14:19 Dec 27, 2020

Thanks for the encouragement, David, much appreciated! I've got lots to learn about writing fiction. I write business-oriented (and sometimes science-oriented) stuff where I strive to be economical and clear. But lately I've been wondering if I could improve my biz-writing by incorporating more elements from creative writing. For example, I like the way you set the scene in your stories--the little details that let the reader 'see' into the characters' lives. Maybe there's a way I could set the scene more in my biz writing. Anyway, something...

Reply

David G.
14:55 Dec 27, 2020

I can tell you write for a living. We tend to break things down too much into categories (business writing, sci-fi, non-fiction, etc.), but these things really do blend into one another more than it seems. The difference between fiction and creative non-fiction is almost non-existent! I dread sitting down every single week to write a story, but once I start it's just an awesome experience. And I find that it helps me think more clearly about other elements of my life as well.

Reply

H L McQuaid
15:59 Dec 27, 2020

That's so true (about the questionable existence of categories, and hesitancy to start writing, the joy of writing, and using writing as a reflection on ourselves and our lives). But you definitely piqued my interest with "creative non-fiction"...Afraid I'm not very familiar with that, unless you count things like "In Cold Blood", or "Wolf Hall"?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.