0 comments

Romance Fiction

Her frail hands lift up the tea kettle the same way she’s done every morning for forty-seven years since they wed. She carefully fills two delicate tea cups painted with birds. She carries both cups of tea and gracefully walks to the veranda lined with blossoming flowers. One is for her, and the other is for her love.

“Here you go dear.” she says while placing his tea on a small bistro table as she sits across from him. He’s looking in the distance as if deep in thought. They would always observe the birds and wildlife in their own backyard.  It was different today though, she thought. After loving someone so many years, their troubled heartbeat echoes into your own. She had said nothing for so long in fear of making him uncomfortable.  

“Gene.. What’s the matter?” She placed her hand upon his. He just sat quietly still. Finally, he looks over to her and his eyes smile at her. He has truly loved her all his life. He loved raising a family together and seeing his grandchildren grow. It's his motivation to get up every morning. He also cherished waking up to see his gracefully aged wife and admired her lovely crow's feet. She was easily amused and her laugh would echo through the house. She was the one who had always treated him kindly and with respect. There was one woman who had undeniably captured his heart.

Before he knew her, he had been a doctor for only three years. He met many people and had been introduced to a fair amount of women interested in him. However, he didn't share that interest. One fall day, there was a patient, an elderly woman, that he knew wouldn’t make it through the night. She had also become confused and restless. The family couldn't calm her down in her final hours. The nurse that night sat with the dying woman, talked to her, and held her hand. The patient settled down by her calmness and gentle touch. He had never seen such love and beauty. He watched her, eyes wide and full of wonder who she was. He knew he had to love her. No one else could possibly compare. When his shift ended, he drove through the beautiful, falling leaves unable to think of anyone else. The patient passed away that night surrounded by family and that one nurse, who had sat by her side, held her hand and spoke kind words.

“It's okay to pass on. Your whole family is here and I can tell you're very loved.” She squeezes her hand gently. It was only a matter of minutes before she lay motionless and took her last breath. The family circled around her, tears in their eyes. After a long period of silence, they spoke of her favorite things and their memories of her.  

“She always loved to laugh. She also never yelled at us, no matter how awful we acted.” Her daughter said. “She was also my best friend.” 

“She was compassionate. That’s why I fell for her. I’ve never met anyone with a heart so full of love.” her husband says while gently brushing the hair off her forehead.

Gene looks down at the tea cup with sorrowful eyes. He knew he needed to tell her the truth. He knew she knew, but she never pushed him to talk about it.

“I’m sorry.. I've never been very good at sharing my feelings."

“I could always feel the truth in your heart, dear.” Her voice reassured him. He was never one to express his feelings in words. His way of showing affection was to provide for his family and handle all the mundane chores of having a home. He wasn't one to sit still, except when Helen made tea. Every morning, they’d sit together silently before the day would get started. Today was unlike the other days. Gene was finally ready to tell Helen the truth.

“Helen, I met a woman that I believe was my soulmate. I’ve been in love with her all these years and I never told you.” He told her sincerely with tears.

Helen smiled sweetly and touched his cheek softly. She remained silent but her eyes showed nothing but love for Gene. Helen had always known. He continued explaining to her.

“She’s passed away now. I’ll never be able to see her again.” He told her, waiting for her to say something in return.

“It’s okay, Gene. We don’t need to say another word about it, love.” she responded and poured him another cup of tea. The warmness of her words and the tea made his soul feel at peace. They held hands and promised to be there for each other. Even when life is complicated and hearts are troubled from time to time.

Just then, the door opened and a woman came walking through. She's lovely and is the spitting image of her mother when she was young.

“Hi Dad.. How are you doing?” She asks him while she notices the empty tea cups sitting on the table with pieces of leaves and dirt gathering inside. 

“Hi sweetie, I’m just having tea with your Mother.” he says while he stands up and gives his daughter a hug. She looks uneasy. After they embrace, she reaches to pick up her Mother’s tea cup.

“No! Don’t move that.” Her father shields the tea cup. It has stayed in the same place since she had passed, gathering debris. It had been their daily ritual and he would never move any of it.

“Dad.. Mom is gone. She’s been gone for months now. I’ve been thinking about it and maybe you’d like to stay with me?”

“No, no. I won’t ever leave. This is where I spent the best years of my life. Your Mother was my soulmate. I never told her how much I loved her.”

“Dad, she always knew. She left this world with a smile on her face. You didn’t have to say it for her to feel it.”

Gene stands up and together they walk, arms around each other. He looks back at the teacups and imagines his beautiful wife sitting there sipping tea with him. She refills his tea as he’s leaving. She was his reason for living. Gene continues walking but turns around briefly to say one last thing to his wife.

“Helen, you’ve always been my cup of tea, honey. I love you.” He blows a kiss and slowly makes his way inside.  




January 15, 2022 03:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.