13 comments

Inspirational Contemporary Black

"I'll probably be dead by then."Replied eleven year old Azania to "where do you see yourself in thirty years time?." From her teacher.This took the teacher off guard as I believe she was expecting an answer along the lines of "I see myself married with two beautiful kids,a loving husband and an amazing job."Well, that just wasn't Azania.Daughter to two gay parents she had always been exposed to the "abnormal" and had normalized it.

She was adopted as an infant by people she wasn't related to in any way.Who took care of her like she was their own,sent her to the best schools money could buy and taught her almost everything she knew about the world she found herself living in.So to her,family wasn't necessarily blood but loyalty.

At age five she was enrolled into big school.The youngest in her class,she was also the smartest and the shortest.Her class teacher soon found out that she was also the loudest.In an attempt to contain her,she(the teacher) moved her(Azania) away from everyone she was influencing to make noise to the front of the class.Here the only things before Nia's eyes were the teacher and the board.A one sided sulking contest ensued throughout the day.The following school day Nia was at it again.This time however the rest of the class was silent.It was her and her teacher causing the racket.Telling each other stories of what ifs while drinking a hot pot of tearful laughs coupled with a high frequency.

Deep into a laugh the teacher came to a staggering realization "Damn she's good.It doesn't matter where I place her,she'll always be herself."The thought raced through her mind.

Soon all the teachers and staff at Nia's school knew who she was and what she was capable of.Every teacher who ran a club of some sort at the school now wanted her in his/her club.From the library club to the karate club and everything in between,she was in high demand.None of those clubs interested her but one...the writers club.Not sure how the karate one would have played out but as Kanye West famously said"I guess we'll never know."

"Words are God's gift to us.Without them no idea would come to pass.When the car was first developed words were used to communicate the idea.When the first aircraft successfully took to the sky phrases made up of words such as "OH MY GOODNESS" were used to Express the joy felt.Had Elon Musk not said"We'll make them ourselves"we wouldn't know of a spaceX today."Said seven year old Azania a year after joining the writers club when her parents asked why she wanted to chair the club.

The current chair was a thirteen year old primary school senior who was up for graduation at the end of the year.At age eight Azania ascended the chair.A first in the school's history.Not only was she the youngest to ever chair a club,she was also the first female to do so.Under her leadership the club went from being rated as the seventh most important club in the school to the most important club in the school.Surpassing the sports,chemistry,robotics,chess and the computer wizkidz clubs before toppling the Learner Rep Club over.All within a year as chair of the writers club.

A voice inside her went "This could be fate.".She answered internally "Fate will forever be fate until we unpack the word itself.F-fantastic relates to the magnitude of greatness of an A-accident which some may assume as Un-T-timed,but it is the E-exact same attitude that leads to the ignorance of our people."."We create our fate through what we do on a daily."She Continued.

"It's amazing how the smartest pupil we have wants nothing to do with computers,Chess or robotics but everything to do with words"Said the school's principal at a staff meeting.Azania's influence was clearly visible among the other pupils at the school.So much so that the principal was pushing for her to be the chair of the Learner Rep Club.Nia caught wind of the news and was in no way interested in being a member of the LRC let alone to chair it.

When her parents asked her why she wasn't interested she said "I'm not interested in school politics.I just want to write,write,write and win as many competitions as I can."They let her be.

At school,the current chair of the LRC approached her to let her know that he thought it was a brilliant idea for her to chair the club.In his own words "The LRC had been the most important club in the school for five years straight before your club took that title.So if anyone can lead us it's you."

That coupled with a few beggings from her Schoolmates convinced her to step up to the challenge.Many thought she would leave her post as chair of the writers club so she could take over as LRC chair.She did not.At age nine Azania became LRC chair.Not only was she the youngest to chair the LRC,she was also the first female to do so.Not only that,she was also the first pupil to chair two separate clubs all at the same time.

Two years went by and she was getting stronger by the day.With her at the helm,school laws were changed to accommodate different people.Pupils at the school claimed that she gave them a voice.

This caught the attention of the YOUNG LEADERS AWARD committee which led to her being invited to the awards ceremony which was to be held at the Sandton Convention Center,South Africa.Where she would deliver a speech to thousands of people 

She was to attend at the end of her primary school senior year.But not before she dropped the "I'll probably be dead by then" bombshell on her teacher.

The day came and she was ready.Upon arrival she was told that she wasn't going to be addressing thousands of people but 2.3 million people,as were in attendance.She also learned that she was the first female to receive the award. 

She bravely took to the stage and opened her mouth.

"My name is Azania...".

February 12, 2021 10:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

13:04 Feb 18, 2021

This is one of my favorite stories on Reedsy! Great job!

Reply

Sun Set
18:22 Feb 18, 2021

You are well appreciated🥰.Hope you had as much fun reading it as I did writing it💯

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

I love it, but the punctuation threw off some of the best moments. SO EMOTIONAL STILL, I HAVING A ROUGHT DAY I SOOO SAD THIS MAKE MEs HAAAAAAAAPY

Reply

Sun Set
17:54 Feb 22, 2021

Glad you liked it😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
23:32 Feb 18, 2021

The story is amazing and so captivating from the start. This is one of the best stories I have read so far. Good job !!! Can you please read my story and share your feedback on it. It would be appreciated a lot. Thanks ~Palak

Reply

Sun Set
08:56 Feb 19, 2021

You are well appreciated💙😁. Will do.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nancy Drayce
18:55 Feb 18, 2021

It is clear from this story that you have a talent and that you worked on it! The story is amazing. The first few sentences were very strong and it made me read more. It made me be interested from the very start! I do have one suggestion though, nothing to do with the creative part, instead with the technical. When you put coma or full stop make a space before starting the new sentence, example, the story is beautiful, I loved it! (btw. I truly mean it) Just keep writing! I am looking forward to your next story! 💙🌟

Reply

Sun Set
19:40 Feb 18, 2021

I see what you did there, "the story is beautiful, I loved it!". Well I love you for loving it and for making time to give me the much appreciated feedback. Space after Coma/full stop IMPLEMENTED 😁😁💙

Reply

Nancy Drayce
19:42 Feb 18, 2021

Great! I can't wait for your next story! Be safe :D 💙🌟

Reply

Sun Set
19:44 Feb 18, 2021

💙

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I really have a good feeling that you might be the winner for this contest...or AT LEAST get shortlisted, because this is an amazing story! :)

Reply

Sun Set
10:34 Feb 19, 2021

😸You just made me blush😁You are well appreciated 💙

Reply

Aww, of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.