0 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary

Hello there, my name is Sindy. Yes you there the reader of this epic tale, now I know what you may be asking "why am I reading this story" well if you have to ask that question now dear reader then you must not know what you’re in store for. Because this is the story about me and my great amazing fantastical friend named Rosey-Sam, we both live in this township called disconnected falls ironic right my Rosey-Sam thinks it’s a little to on the nose about things here but I think it’s quite charming we live in this town completely disconnected from the outside world no phones or computers or tv or nothing only the town radio that you have to make appointments to use and even that thing is always a year behind from recent current events so nobody ever uses it my friend Rosey-Sam wants to go out into the outside world and find other people and talk to them but I think it’s fine a cozy here where no one can talk to us and corrupt us with that blasted technology my momma used to say that kids and adults on the outside world are stupid and corrupted because of their phones and technology they can’t survive without like we can that makes us special Rosey-Sam thinks I’m wrong but I know I’m right because I’m the smartest girl in my whole wide world and yes I said my whole wide world since we can’t actually talk to the outside world but anyway long introductions aside let’s get onto the story shall we! So our stories started long long ago when we were very young just being born actually my mom and rosey-sam’s mom are sisters or close like sisters we never really had enough time to find out they both died giving birth to me and her we weren’t born on the same day technically I was born on January 1st 12:00am and rosey-sam was born on December 31st 11:58pm almost 2 whole minutes apart can you believe that to be exact we were born 91 seconds apart it’s very Important because on the 91st second our moms died almost instantaneously at the same time my pappy said that it was devastating pappy never told us who rosey-sam’s pappy is he always said that we are both his girls no matter who her father is but we knew he was hiding something but we just never could know what it is anyways after that my pappy moved us into this wonderful town disconnected falls before it got the same just when it was a random town with no connections to the outside world we grew up with a moderately okay existence everyone was really nice and very wholesome but it seemed like no one liked each other very much like they were afraid to connect with each other or almost like they couldn’t connect with each other so with that basically being our town me and Rosey-Sam grew up together really close almost like sisters but we never really thought of each other like that though we were more like the closest friends to ever be but one day we were sitting on a hill thinking about life after school we saw a cloud shaped like a turtle and all of the sudden the ground shook and we heard this voice in the sky and it was saying "LISTEN TO ME ALL THE PEOPLE IN THIS TOWN IN FOUR WEEKS AT HIGH NOON THIS TOWN WILL BECOME CONNECTED TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD AND YOU’LL SEE EVERYTHING AND HAVE TO MAKE YOUR CHOICE TO STAY IN THIS TOWN OR LEAVE AND MAKE YOUR OWN PATH" so immediately we both run to pappy’s house and we ask him what does that’s mean for us and he says to us both that’ll be up to both of you because in three weeks you both will be turning eighteen and officially all grown up so what you do then will be your decisions the other townspeople were scared but oddly enough we weren’t we felt free to the idea of making our own choice for our lives our freedom we both had different opinions on it I thought we should stay at first but then I remembered what my dad told me my always said he said she used to say "when you’re disconnected from the universe you can never shine like you’re supposed too you can only be dimly lit stars" so two weeks go by and rosey-sam says to me one night while we are hanging on the hilltop looking at the stars "why aren’t we ever going to leave this place together" and I said why what do you mean and she says "you’re never gonna leave this place and I’ll be on my own and we’ll never see each other again" and I said well no you won’t be alone it’s not like I don’t want to leave I always have it’s just that I’m scared I’ve never been outside alone before what if we get lost or sick or even die like our moms and she said to me "we’re like dimly lit stars in this town without any connections, so if we can’t connect to the people here on the inside why don’t we make our own world and see what’s there on the outside" and we never saw eye to eye but in that moment it seemed like we were one in the same so I said yes I agreed with her and agreed to go into the outside world with her we were obviously not prepared so we spent our last remaining two weeks going all through town looking at the scraps of the outside world trying to see what it looks like and it was amazing spending those times together with her it was always like home when me her and pappy were together all along it never really made any sense why we could connect to each other when other people in this town could only connect to their own family’s and relatives and not make their own friends it was always so weird to me that never made sense but I guess that must mean me and rosey-sam are family in someway or maybe our connection is just that strong but anyways the two weeks past and the time came to where we could leave into the outside world almost everybody stayed the same and didn’t leave except for us but before we left I said to rosey-sam what if we need someone back into the town what if we get lost or hurt what if we don’t make it and rosey-sam said you’ve got it all wrong that won’t happen because we’ll be in this strange world with connections together connected for all eternity even after our lives are over and then my nerves subsided and we left into the far reaches of the world and never looked back and lived happy lives and turned out we actually are sisters wouldn’t you know it when our pappy always called us his girls he was being more literal but even with us being blood sisters even if she wasn’t we would’ve still have been friends because she is my forever friend always I’d never truly leave this world without her. Well my name is Sindy and that’s the end of the story I want to thank you sincerely for reading my story it means a lot to me that there are people out there willing to listen to it and if you’re wondering what happened to us after we got into the world just imagine and think what would Rosey-Sam do and where would Sindy be right beside her.

October 10, 2021 20:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.