0 comments

Fiction Christian Asian American

Gifted Hands 

What do you think will be more exciting about a drummer going to a holiday party for musicians? Until you read this story from the beginning, you will never find out that life's drama happens at any moment.

it's 06:00 AM, his mother wakes him up as she does every day. “Tikboy” as he is known in the poor neighborhood of Tondo  Manila, Philippines, has to go to school. A growing teenager at 17 years of age, Angelito Sanchez, his Christian name, is a struggling student because of poverty, but with a passion to play drums. Inspired by his gift of toy drums when he was a child, he learned how to play the instrument in school. Tikboy loves to play basketball also. He has the height and the built for the sport but spends more time in his passion.

“Tayo na dyan mag almusal ka na!“ (Breakfast is ready, and get out of the bed now!) “ her mother prompted him.

After a refreshing bath, he puts on his high school uniform. He does't stay long for his breakfast and he’s about to leave when his mother handed him an envelope.

“ From Rachel, your classmate, she dropped by,” said his mother. 

“ Salamat Ma,” ( Thank you Mom)  Tikboy hurriedly left for school.

On the way to the school, Tikboy opened the envelope and read the message. An invitation for him to attend the holiday party of musicians organized by the community village chief. The date is the 20th of December at 7PM, in their community village hall. He could not hide his excitement because his favorite band will perform on the said occasion. He kept the letter safely in his school bag because he has to bring himself plus the invitation.

“ Your ID please!” The guy requesting is the school’s security guard assigned to the gate of the school. Every student respects this 56 year old guard. He commands authority in his blue uniform and by looking only at the students , he means business.

Tikboy showed his ID, and while walking the covered roof of the walkway, someone called him.

“ Hey Tikboy!”Did you get the invitation? It’s his classmate, Rachel, the lead singer in Tikboy’s group. She’s 16 years old. Aside from being the lead singer, Rachel plays the guitar. 

“ Yes, and I understand our group will sing a couple of songs.” Tikboy said.

“Right, by the way, here are our schedules of practice. Remember, that will be a party of musicians also from the other villages. “Tikboy, listen, I like that night to be your night, your performance on drums will be an exhibition. The second song will have your solo part on drums. Ok, Tikboy, I’ll see you at our rehearsal.

 Tikboy smiled and thanked Rachel. He knows Rachel admires his talent on drums. He looked at the schedules Rachel gave him and hurriedly went to his class. 

After school, Tikboy instead of going home decides to drop by a computer shop. He does this once in a while to watch and listen to some iconic brands. He is fascinated by Led Zeppelin's drummer; as if, every rhythm of the band's drum sticks to his mind and his hands master every beat. It did not take long for Tikboy's talent in the drum to be known in his school. 

"One, two, three, four...and Tikboy played his drum in the afternoon rehearsal in the school's music room. Rachel's presence means the group has to finalize the style, lyrics, and choreography of their performance. The second song, where Tikboy will play a solo on his drum is a rock song from the early '90s. To simulate Deep Purple's piece is no joke, not all bands are capable of copying the drummer's piece of that band. Tikboy has the chance to glare and really showcase his talent in drums.

Backed up by Rachel, Tikboy will be joined by another two classmates on keyboard and bass guitar. They are almost ready and the party of musicians will witness an extraordinary and unexpectedly surprising performance.

The stage of the venue is all set as planned. Lights and sounds are in place, attendance almost filled up the seats, 20 minutes prior to the start. The musicians are mostly rock bands and Filipino audiences are eagerly and excitingly responsive. Teens whistle, clap as technicians test the instruments. The atmosphere is a euphoria of young girls and boys expecting a night of ear-splitting electric guitars, drums, bass, and keyboards. Each band has its own hit to play; therefore, gathering its own fans.

At the back of the stage, and looking at the audience, Rachel noticed three gentlemen carrying handheld radios. Wearing dark glasses, it's almost certain that their purpose is not to enjoy the concert party, but to conduct surveillance. But she's focused on their performance.

"Tikboy, our rehearsals just went perfect. Laruin mo lang …(just play along)" Rachel said.

" Rachel, gimmik tayo pagkatapos ng concert" (let's have fun after the concert)." Tikboy inviting Rachel.

“ Hindi pwede, si Mama at si Papa susunduin ako” ( I can’t, Mama and Papa will fetch me). 

“By the way, I saw three look like police officers, among the audience. We just have to be careful. We don't know what they know.” Rachel cautioned Tikboy.

Suddenly, the crowd went into an uproar.  An emcee introduced the first band. River Maya, performed it”s hit and the crowd danced and went wild and along with the intoxicating music of the band. It’s not hard to tell that many among the crowd were already drunk and probably party drugs are already in effect. But that’s how the party goes even with strict regulations implemented by the organizers. The hours past and already several bands finished their renditions. Tikboy’s group was introduced and the crowd somewhat fell into low-intensity mode as Rachel sang a soft and heartwarming song of the Aegis, only to get wild again as Tikboy played on the drums. That was a definitely stunning performance by Tikboy as the crowd chanted his name even while he was playing the drums in an almost like exhibition. He was truly superb and caught the crowd by surprise.

Tikboy was still being applauded, when one gentleman was seen being escorted by the three men seen by Rachel among the crowd. Though there was no commotion, somehow the crowd jeered the three men. “ Leave us alone!” “Leave us alone!” shouted the irritated crowd. Somehow a tip received by PDEA, (Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency), led them to conduct surveillance and eventually arrest.

The good thing was, Rachel and Tikboy had no involvement in drugs at all. When they were invited to the musician's party, they came to perform and showcase their talents. That's what they did. 

If the Filipinos' young generation has to emulate, Rachel and Tikboy set good examples. 

A simple holiday attended by a drummer, portraits struggles in life, commitment at an early age, pursue dreams, and love God-given talent.

December 23, 2020 04:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.