A Little Wolfie Cub

Submitted into Contest #7 in response to: Write a story about a person longing for family.... view prompt

0 comments

Kids Fiction

“Once upon a time, there was a little wolf cub.” The deep grizzled voice cut through the dimly lit room and down into the fluffy mound of tussled blankets and sheets that wiggled and squirmed with a little wild girl. “It was a cub with the wildest hair, the wildest grin, and the wildest heart.” A little voice squeaked from between the layers, muffled and soft, “Just like me, granny?” The old weathered face creased with well earned wrinkles as it grinned into the night. “Oh my sweet wild one, this particular wolf cub was fearless and the bravest of the whole pack." A tuft of brownish blonde hair statically rose from a small opening in the blanket nest that the little girl had been squirmed into. Rosy cheeks and round blue eyes appeared in the blankets frame and shined up into the dusky muted brown ones that were sunken into the old woman's leathered skin. “And her name was Wolfie?” The pure hope in the little girl’s eyes made Granny’s heart smile a little. Oh, To be that young again. She could not help herself as she chuckled a little in her rough coughing way, “Yes little one, it was Wolfie. Now settle down and let me tell you what happened to this little puppy." A soft sigh was followed by a tender settling. The girl cuddled into her granny’s arms, “Sorry Granny. I’m ok now.”

Pausing for a moment that only a true storyteller can feel, the old woman began, “Once upon a time, so very long ago, when the land and the woods were still wild and filled with unknown stories, and the animals lived in peace within that wild world, there was once a little wolf cub named Wolfie." Despite calming down, the old woman could see those bright blue eyes light up with excitement. She leaned in closer for effect.

"Wolfie was a small pup. She was not the strongest or the fastest of the pack. This made the pup sad and feel like she had less to offer." A wrinkled gnarled hand reached out to smooth the wrinkled brow of concern on the small child's face. "This pup was small but she was in love with the world. She was curious about everything. She was constantly asking older wolves questions about every topic. She would sit for hours watching and listening to the world around her. She learned the whistles of birds. She learned the timing of the seasons. She watched the habits of the herds. None of the other wolves understood why this pup did things the way she did. Because of this, she was marked different by the others.

It made some of the other members of the pack jealous of her ability to be freely herself. Those mean wolves tried their best to make her feel less than the pack. But Wolfie did not care. She was too busy being free and happy, growing up in the forest. One day the other members of the pack decided it was time that Wolfie change her wild ways. They made fun of her questions. They called her names and questioned her actions. This made Wolfie very sad because she tried to do everything they asked of her. She tried to be a very good wolf puppy, but she was differently wild in her nature. And unfortunately nature does what comes natural. “

The old woman held the young girl so very close. She leaned in and whispered, “But do you know who was watching all of this?” The girl’s eyes grew wide as she shook her head slowly no. “Another pack of wolves!” The gasp was slight but the old woman’s eyes started to sparkle like they had in the past. She was in full story weaving mode and felt the words flow from her grandmothers before her.

“These wolves were different. They were a different type of wild, they were fearless and brave. They loved to learn as well. They saw this sad wolf pup sitting high on a ledge and called out to it. 

‘Hello Cousin! We noticed you are very sad. Come and sit with us awhile and talk.’ 

And the puppy did. They spoke of the lands they had traveled. The animals they had seen. She shared her own stories of what she had learned. The pup’s eyes were wide with wonder and fascination of all the fun and laughter this group had. Without realizing it the day had slipped away and it was time to go home. Wolfie started to cry. One of the Wolves turned to her and asked, ‘Why are you still sad pup?’

Wolfie thought of the words of her pack. She thought of what they wanted her to be. She thought of how hard she had tried but failed. 

'I am not a good enough wolf,' she said lowering her head in shame. 

The other wolves looked at each other in shock.

"That isn’t true at all pup, he said while holding her close to him, you are the most fearless, the most wild, the bravest wolf in your pack. You’ve shared your experiences with us. Do not judge yourself harshly based on what others want. You continue to be the best you that you can be.' Wolfie smiled so brightly that the dusky night glowed around them.”

The little girl frumped in her mound of blanket again and yawned, “Because her pack is stupid for not letting her be her.” Granny chuckled as she tucked the blanket around precious girl. “Yes, because we all need to be ourselves to be happy.”

She creaked as she stood up from the edge of the bed. Using the despised cane, but grateful for the needed support. “Granny?” the little voice was so faint she barely heard it. "What child?" "You’ll love me no matter what… right?" The old heart broke in that moment. She rested a weathered hand on the soft puffy cheeks that were visible through the mass of blanket. “My dear sweet little wolf. Stay my little wild wolf cub, don’t you ever stop being you. No matter who wants you to change.”

“I love you so much Granny”, she yawned outloud and cuddled down quickly falling asleep like only youth can. And rising again, in the doorway, the old woman stood. The dim light from the hallway highlighting a tear slid down one cheek, "I love you too My Wolfie," little more than a whisper.

September 20, 2019 11:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.