We aren't in high school anymore

Submitted into Contest #33 in response to: Write a story about a character making a big change.... view prompt

1 comment

General

What am I doing with my life? Am I actually about to go to my dream college or am I wasting my life with some dream that might never come true. I have played softball since I was 5 years old. Being accepted into a D1-College with a full scholarship while playing the game I love. This might be the biggest change I have ever made in my life. I am moving away from home, playing softball with girls I have never played a single season with in my life, I mean how much of a change can that really be. My parents being so proud of how far I have come in life, I have a family that has so much faith in me and whatever career path I choose to take. I am preparing for my last meal with my family, the last time I will see my 6 year old nephew and him bugging me to see my phone and play on my phone, the last time my older siblings with taunt me, the last time I will play videogames with my 12 year old nephew, and the last time my mom and dad will get to wake me up when I "forget" to set my alarm. I will miss my family so much but I will see them in little over a few months. I get up like it is any other morning I put on my clothes put on my shoes and head to the kitchen to the smell of my mom making French toast. I see all of my family members car parked outside of my house. I see them all in their cars and they all are there for me, wishing the best for my journey to go to college. I see my mom and aunts crying and my siblings talking by the counter hoping I wont actually leave, and my dad who has been there every step of the way for everything I have every done from my sports to my school work and he is standing at the end of the hallway with a glove and a softball in his hand and he says " Do you want to play a quick game of catch," I burst out into tears never wanting to leave my house and my dad because this is the man I have always gone to for advice, my sports, or if I wanted to go for a drive he would take me. My life is changing from this point on leaving my parents, my aunts, my uncles, my brother, sister, nieces, and nephews, I don't know what I am going to do without them but I will have to figure that out on my own. I am heading to my car not knowing what was to come of my future, putting my luggage and all my softball equipment into the trunk of my car, wiping away my tears and remembering everything that I had done the past 18 years of my life. Out of the corner of my eye I see my 6 year old nephew running towards me and holding a piece of paper that he drew in his class, he makes me close my eyes and whispers into my ear that he will be waiting for me to back so he can play games on my phone and he will look forward to the next time that he sees his Sillyman play on the field. Sillyman is the name he calls me and I tell him to grow up on my watch, he tells me he wont. He waves goodbye and says bye Sillyman and I say bye X-Man. He never wanted me to call him Xavier so we settled on the name X-Man. I make sure he gets into the house safely and I look down at my phone and I see a message from my 12 year old nephew and he plays baseball for the school and for his other team. He text me a photo of us 2 in our school uniforms and he text me that we are an unstoppable team and I better go kick colleges butt. I reply back with a photo of when I coached him his 1st year of baseball until this year where it will be the first year I haven't coached him. The photo is of his in his uniform and I have my coaches shirt and hat on and screaming form the dugout for him to swing and that is the game he hit his 1st homerun. I put away my phone and start my car and put on my playlist and I hit the road. Singing to my favorite songs by Ed Sheeran who was my favorite artist when I was younger, and I stop at a gas station to get gas and a snack and a bottle of sweet tea. I am only about 30 minutes away from campus and that is where the real journey begins. I arrive on campus 30 minutes after stopping at the gas station and I see the campus welcome sign and the sign says Welcome to the home of the Nittany Lions. I made it I think to myself in my head, I am playing softball for the college I have wanted to go to since I was little and I am finally here. Looking for my dorm room and once I find it I can go around campus, register as a student, meet my roommate, and facetime my family to tell them I have made it safely. After I had don everything a normal student had to do I facetime my nephews and I start playing video games with AJ and I hear Xavier in the background trying to finish his homework and I make AJ give Xavier the phone so I can help him and once he finishes his homework I have to hang-up on AJ because I really needed to start unpacking and so I did. Everything in my life has changed for the better and once I settle in I get to begin the next stage in my life and make more changes that I know my family will stand behind.

March 19, 2020 04:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Victor Lana
21:52 Mar 22, 2020

Change is hard. You capture that here. I can see the narrator with one foot in her childhood and one into adulthood (like being in a doorway). I get what she's going through because I went through it, and so many others. It is something people can relate to. Good luck with your writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.