1 comment

Romance

What to do? Oh what to do? Christmas is coming, and I have nothing for my spouse! Not for the lack of trying; I’ve been trying to get this done for over a month!

           Alright… time to take stock of things, one more time. I am in the middle of my local downtown, where most of the local shops are located. Trying to get an idea of what she could want. Being a responsible adult, I give her a comprehensive list of my likes, dislikes, and what I have my eye on this year. When I ask for a similar list from her, she just tells me;

“Surprise me darling!”

           So now she knows exactly what to get for me, and I’ve been stuck working the same question! Berating myself isn’t going to do anything. Just calm down man… let’s see here… Hair and skin care products are too far outside of my knowledge base. Chances of me getting a decent gift from that direction is extremely low.  She isn’t much of a clothes or jewelry type of woman, thank goodness for that! Now what else? How did we meet? We ran into each other at a restaurant and video arcade establishment. Played a light gun game for a couple of hours… We already have a few of those machines in the house. I could take her out to dinner… nah, I can do that any other date night. What’s something special she holds dear? Aside from her family artifacts and whatnot? Maybe if I walk into the department store… something in there will jog my memory. Casually strolling on inside, the greeting lady meets me of all people.

“Hello good sir! How may I help you?” She says

“I’m just browsing for gift ideas” I say monotonously

“Oh! I can help you with that! What does your spouse like?”

“A lot of the good stuff I can think of, she already has, and the common stuff won’t cut it.”

“The hard worker, are you? Come with me! I might have something.”

           Better than nothing I suppose. I’ll take any idea at this point. The young lady takes me towards one of those median stalls that come and go every few months or so. Holiday themed…

“Here you’ll be able to get your spouse’s name engraved on rainbow colored quartz Christmas ornaments!” She says

“… You have anything… more practical?” I say

“Well what do you mean?”

“It’s a nice idea and all, but I don’t think something seen once a year would be a good gift...”

“Hmmm… What kind of person is your spouse?”

“She prefers to be surprised by my gift… She likes video games…”

“Oh! Well there are many-”

“We tend to share the games we play with each other. We’ve already got the newly released games we like.”

“Ok… what else?”

“Hmmm…. Well… Computer ergonomic devices? She loves to do video editing.”

“What kind of ergonomics? A chair? Desk? Input device?”

“… Now that I think of it… I got her some of that stuff last year…”

*sigh* “Anything else?”

           Really don’t want to take up her time any more than I have to! The day’s already busy in here and we’ve been here too long. Come on! Something random! Anything!

“… She’s a social butterfly.”

“You mean she likes talking to people?”

“Preference for face to face interaction. She loves meeting people and talking about a variety of different interests. Not sure what to do with that.”

“I think I have something for you!”

“Really? What is it?”

“There’s a spa resort a small distance north. Some of their representatives are selling promotional stays near the food court! She’ll love the interactions!”

“… I don’t know. It feels cheap of me to just get her a gift certificate.”

“It’s not a gift certificate; it’s an appointment for a day of personal pampering, set to a discount only available here!”

“It still sounds like a gift certificate.”

“I guarantee it’s not!”

           Well… I’m getting tired of searching. Its on the high end of generic and lazy, but I’ve got literally no other idea of what to get her.

“Alright… thank you for your time.” I say

“Have a good day!”

           Time to get this thing done… wading through the crowds, their parties, and their bags; I reach the relatively short line of this folding table and chair stall; manned by four people facing one of the building’s many entrances and exits. Among their many service packages; I pick up a multi-deluxe pack. At least five treatments of her choice, all at the highest end of the scale. I guess I could drive her there as an additional gift in the package. Its something like a forty-minute drive, not that big of a deal where this is concerned. All to fill the spirit of the holiday!

           With the gift ready, the days until Christmas fly by, until the day comes once again. There that morning; the two of us, my spouse and I, coco in hand. Sitting on our couch, facing the decorated tree.

 “Merry Christmas!” She says

 “Happy holidays.” I say.

“Oh this is such a wonderful morning!”

“Yes, it is.”

           Time to give it to her. From in between the couch cushions; a small envelope, with all the pertinent details inside.

“Oh! What is it?” She says excitedly

“Open it up.” I say in normal monotone

           Calmly and gracefully, she removes the seal, opens the envelope, and looks inside. She gasps and smiles at the same time!

“Oh you got me a trip to the spa!”

“… You didn’t give me much to go on. It was almost guess.”

“Oh I love you!”

           She gives a big hug! Like a grizzly bear!

“I got you something too!” She says… with a bit of mischief in her tone I think

           From her side of the couch… she pulls the same kind of envelope from the couch cushions! Hands it over to me… I open it up, carefully… I don’t believe it… She got me the same spa trip too?

“H-how did…?” I say in surprise and confusion.

“It’s an insane coincidence! I guess you saw that spa trip table at the department store too! I thought about that list you gave me, so I thought; how about I get you something unexpected too?”

           This one… I knew there was a reason I married her!

December 07, 2019 18:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Brooke T
21:52 Dec 18, 2019

I really liked the premise of your story. I especially liked the way you introduced that what their partner wanted was a surprise, and the way it came together in the end was really neat. The beginning starts off a little casual, not that it's a bad thing, but it could use a little more polishing there and throughout to make sure everything flows together. The second half of the story, though, was well written, and I think with a little more polishing in the first half, you'll be sure to have even better stories in the future.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.