0 comments

Science Fiction Drama Adventure

I had 3 weeks to figure out what to do before the sentencing for my inheritance. I couldn't believe that this could happen to me. I never thought that someone would mention me in their will let alone leave me their entire estate. If I had known before my Great uncle had fallen into a coma I would have refused the bequest. He had been in a coma for ten years. In that time the inheritance laws changed, the tax was more a punishment than a fair law. Receiving it would cost me everything. My home was in jeopardy. We could not afford to move into the house we received. The rest of the estate would not cover the taxes for receiving it. I was struggling for a way out when I saw the commercial over the stream. A new life, a better tomorrow all expenses paid one-way trip to Mars. The azure colony was only a plan something you wanted to end the misery of living on Earth. I called the recruiter and made the appointment for the following morning.

The next morning I arrived at the recruitment center. To say I was nervous was a severe understatement. I had some technical skills, but not much I tend to do better working with my hands. There had to be something I could do once we made the move to Mars at least, I hoped there was something for me. I was at my wit's end, it was either Mars or prison and I couldn't survive that. I couldn't put My family through that. There was a line of people waiting when I arrive. We stood there for what seemed like hours before a young man called my name. He led past the cubicles to a nicer office. 

"Please have a seat Mr. Torm." he was smiling as he closed the door. "I'm sure you don't remember me I'm Tom Barret, you use to work for my grandfather. I can't tell you how glad I was to hear you had called, are you sure you want to emigrate to Mars?"

" I'm in a tight spot Mr. Barret," I said. I felt ashamed to be sitting there, I hardly remembered the kid Tom and Here I was hoping he would help me.

"Yeah, most of the people that call are George. Do you mind if I call you George?"

"Not at all Mr. Barret, it is my name."

"None of that Mr. stuff George, I watched you work for years before you moved on. You were a hero to me back then, and as far as I'm concerned that kind of makes you part of the family. We were all sorry to see you go. Now tell me what the problem is and I'll tell you how we may help. Then if you're still interested we can do the paperwork after that."

I told Tom what happened feeling my spirits rise he keep smiling and nodding. I told him every problem that lead to my current situation. Accidents and surgeries how the bills keep piling up and everything. When I finally ran out of difficulties. I waited to be let down. I knew I should have kept my mouth shut.

"Is that all George, Those are simple things to fix. I know it feels like the end of the world at times but we can help. George if you are willing to listen we can make these issues go away. You will have to be in it for the long haul there is no way back if you sign. Either way, I want to help you, repay you for what you did for my dad."

"What do you mean?" 

"You saved his life once George, I've never forgotten that."

"I'm not sure what you are talking about Tom."

" I'm not surprised, you weren't there when the car exploded. You might have heard about it, but the day you left, you had delayed my dad at the office long enough. It was his car that exploded and if you had not talked to him that day. He would have been in it."

I sat back it was a long time ago. I didn't remember it at all. Tom remembered and that was enough. That talk was nothing special it was a habit that I had when a Job was over. Thanking the Foreman for the opportunity to work seemed right to me. I remember he wanted me to stay but with the issues that were going on at the time, it wasn't possible. I had stayed long enough to train a replacement for them. It was only fair they gave me the opportunity and a good job for years. I was giving them something back.

"It's time for lunch come with me and I'll tell you about what we can do."

Tom took us to a diner on the outskirts of town. We chatted as we rode out and after lunch, Tom made his pitch.

"George, we are the biggest construction company in the region. Thanks to my grandfathers' foresight and a ridiculous investment we own a large piece f Mars. If you can believe it the old man bought ten thousand acres on Mars has the deed and the courts upheld the sale. So there could have been a Federal Colony on Mars. Except for the anti-proliferation treaty signed to that back in the 1970s. The Kicker is the treaties do not prevent corporations from landing a colony. Mars is now a corporate planet. It's owned by most of the big names. What we are planning is to build the first city on Mars. It is a colony now but we have big plans for Azure City in the future. Barret Construction has partnered with seven other companies. We will form the core governing body once the colonies are established. There is a lot of work to do years' worth of work building from the ground up. The downside is that there is nothing there. There are resources but we don't know what they are or what we can do to get them. Scans are great I love scans, and ours say there are resources but I'm not sure I trust that. So we are putting together a survey and construction team to check it out. We have scientists and technicians. We haven't been able to get a construction crew willing to go up there. Now as for why we can't get anyone, I mentioned there is no way back, not yet, this is a one-time one-way trip. We are building a ship but it is expensive. In this one push, we have to get all the equipment we need, food, air, water, and people. Everything must go in one shot. There won't be any fuel left for a return trip. Once the ship sets down George, it stays where it is. 

"Your gambling that whoever you send up will make this work." 

"You got it. Now here is what we can offer if you agree to go. We need an indentured contract because know there is no way to bring you back. We can't ask someone to take that risk and we don't want to send criminals out there. Yet if we cannot get the people we need to do the job we will have to. The contract make you our ward for the next seven years. We assume your debt and take all properties to further this project. We will sell off everything. First, clear your legal debt and what's left goes toward the trip and clear your debt to us. Each person going on the ship must sign a contract no matter how old or young. You will also receive a dispensation for the company store. We will provide housing, food, air, water, and sanitation. It may not sound like a good deal. But think about it George, once you are on board, as a willing worker we can clear your debts. If you can't clear your debt you will be going anyway, like I said if I can't get the right people we take prisoners instead. I hate to put it that way George, but that is the reality we are both facing. So I am going to try to make this more appealing to you. You and your family. We have some great doctors and teachers going. I can even find a position for Marla and I can wave the children's indenture once we make progress. I can also promise you that once the colony erected your indenture ends."

"We can never return?"

"That's a touchy point at the moment. It may change in the future but this is an unfavorable project. The government does not like hear mind your own business. They have no control over Mars or what goes on there. It doesn't belong to them. So once the ship leaves the moon, they also can't come after anyone on that ship."

"What about after, are we going to be cast out once the contract is over? Will we have to fend for ourselves or is there some kind of retirement plan?"

"George this is not going to be a simple job. Setting up the initial settlement will only be the beginning. Once the 7 years are complete, there will still be decades of work. I want to tell you all about it, and as Forman, you have a secure position, I do need you there. You need to see the plans we have and I would value your Impute. Here's an Idea bring your family over to the offices, look over what we are planning. If you don't want the job, we can work something out to help with the legal issues you are having."

"Yeah alright I have to discuss this with Marla anyway. Tomorrow then."

"Great I'll take you home we can work out details after you've looked over the projects. 

I spent a long night on the lumpy old couch. When morning came Marla and the kids were ready for the appointment. Tom had sent a car for us. Marla was mad but not only at me. I was looking for a way to get us out of the legal jeopardy we found ourselves in. Tom meet us at the door and usher us into a conference room after the introduction we got down to business.

"I am not happy with the terms as you explained them to George Mr. Barret." Marla began.

"I can understand that Mrs. Torm, but before you make any further judgments. I hope you are willing to see and hear what we have to offer."

"I am willing to listen but George must have lost his mind thinking this was a good idea."

"It is an unorthodox program, but you are being a bit harsh. Everyone that signs up has the same contract. The option I have discussed with George is for your family's benefit."

"I was sure you would say something like that, but you of course won't be going."

"We are going, Marla."

We turned as Tom's mother enter the room.

"It's good to see you again," she said extending her hand to my wife. "This is Kayla Toms wife and she is going too with their children so stop browbeating the boys. We have things to discuss before you make your decisions."

Marla shot me another glare as she and the children left the room. Tom and I sat down and started looking over the various projects they had planned for the new colony. I was so engrossed that I had not realized night had fallen before Marla and Kayla walked into the room. She gave a weak smile as she sat down next to me.

"It is not ideal George, but we won't lose everything this way. I am not happy with this and your daughter is furious about the idea still it is a decent option. We both will be working. Not in the same office thank god but at least we will have something to do, and we will be together as a family."

"You think we should go then?"

"No but the alternative is worse, I don't like the thought of being out in that nothing for so long. and I hate pulling up roots and leaving friends and family behind but it is a decent option."

"Then we should go?"

"We don't have any better options."

"Ok, Tom let's get those papers signed."

We signed the papers. Lawyers came in the next morning to verify and merge the legal matters. Our little family left onto the next shuttle to lunar four. The next few weeks we had classes and tests on the hazards we were about to face. Tom was right there with me the entire time. Marla and Kayla became good friends tending to children and working together. Finally, the day arrived when we boarded our ship and struck out into the great expanse to Mars. The trip would take nine months according to the crew but we would be in stasis for the most part. The medical staff would wake us every month for evaluation and conditioning.

  A week out from Mars the passengers were all brought out of their stasis. The crew made preparations for the final approach to our new home. Strapped into the dropships we waited until the soft jarring of landing shook the ship. Tom and I were the first out into the still darkness. Light began to fill the horizon streaking the dessert a brilliant red in the first lights of a New Dawn.

February 23, 2022 19:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.