0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Adventure

I opened my eyes that morning and what did I see? A black cat seated outside  in the window looking into my room and sunning itself. It was said to be a good omen as black cats are rare. I had been mulling a story about encountering a black cat and it came to me. Read on!

On planet tellus which is earth’s twin though about 8 centuries behind, there was a kingdom called Jash. This story is set there.

Jeff was a handsome young man from a moneyed family. Beautiful young Liril of the same place was hoping to be his bride. However Jeff had set his eyes on princess Floria the king’s daughter. Knowing this, Liril  went to Wizma, the official witch, and said “Wizma I need your help.” She explained about her love for Jeff and his longing for Floria. She continued “Jeff is planning to leave for our capital Zeel to seek the golden egg. You know our king has announced that whoever brought back that egg will marry Floria.”

Wizma said “Menfolk have strange desires. What is it that you lack that Floria has?” She thought a moment and then said “You go with him as his page. I can turn your features to appear male, but your female belongings will endure and so you must be careful. Use your initiative thereafter to win Jeff back.”

Jeff was preparing himself for the journey when Liril went up to him and said “My name is Chip. I understand you’ll be leaving for Zeel. Can I be your page?”

Jeff looked at the young man standing before him and said “Sure you’re welcome. We’ll start tomorrow morning.”

It was a two day journey by coach and when the two had reached Zeel they put up at an inn. Jeff wanted to bathe and suggested that Chip also join but Chip excused himself. He said to himself “These men on journeys often stop to relieve themselves. It is done so openly that I feel ashamed. I seek seclusion for it and I’m lucky Jeff allows it.”

At the inn Chip lay in bed wondering about the golden egg. It was the model of an egg made of gold and had been in the Jash treasury for long. But it had been stolen and it was recently forecast that good fortune for the kingdom would follow if the egg was found and restored. Following this the king had announced that whoever brought back the egg would marry the princess. Jeff who came in saw Chip awake and said “Chip let us review our plans to locate the egg.”

Chip said “Master, let us first ask the oracle.”

“Good idea. It hadn’t occurred to me. We’ll do that tomorrow.”  The oracle was a wise person who wouldn’t be seen but would reply from an opaque enclosure at a prearranged hour.

The oracle was asked “Where is the golden egg?”

The oracle said “So far none have sought an answer to that question. The brigand Tyfun may know.”

Jeff said “Chip, how can I find Tyfun?”

Chip said “I’ll ask around.”

Chip asked a king’s old servant and he said “Princess Floria has a maid Tetma. She is Tyfun’s sister who raised the princess from childhood. She may know.”

Chip made more enquiries and was told that Floria walked daily in the mornings in the royal garden. The next morning Chip waited outside the garden’s entrance and met Tetma who was an old woman. She was waiting for Floria who had gone walking. Chip said “I’m a wealthy man’s page. Can you tell me where we can find Tyfun?”

“He is my brother but I’ve lost contact with him. I was told he is ill in a cave on Moon mountain there” she said pointing. “His gang looks after him. He isn’t on the wanted list any more, and anyone can go to his cave.”

By now Floria had joined and was introduced to Chip. Floria took an instinctive liking for Chip and invited him to join her in walks. Chip agreed.

In a few days Floria fell madly in love with Chip. She whispered “Spend one night with me. I will tell dad to forget the egg and his announcement thereof.”

Now Chip was in a jam! He said “Give me a few days till I finish a certain mission. I’ve told you my master is looking for the golden egg.”

“It would only be a waste of time. Remember I’m pining for you.”

Chip reported to Jeff t hat Tyfun was on nearby Moon mountain but hid Floria’s moves. He said “Let me go and meet Tyfun.”

“It would be risky. I’ll do it.”

“You stay here. If I fail you can follow up.”

 Moon mountain was quite near but was said to be difficult to climb as it was very rocky. Chip managed to do it. As he neared a level point on the mountain he was blocked by two men who questioned him. Then came the search for arms on his person. That was when Chip was discovered to be female. She was instantly dragged into a cave. At its entrance a black cat stood and as she was taken in the cat jumped back and sat beside the man on a bed. The brigand was seated on the bed and it was obvious that he was ill. The men explained to Tyfun about the coming of Chip who was a female.

In a feeble voice Tyfun asked “You, a female dressed as a male, have come up here. Is it to kill me? May be vendetta?”

Chip said “No. I came about the golden egg. The king wants it back in the treasury for the well being of Jash.”

He said “The golden egg has been melted down.”

“But the oracle seemed to suggest you could have it.”

“I’ve answered you. You can get back.”

Chip found descent more difficult but managed it. He was disappointed and told Jeff of his talk with Tyfun.

Chip said “Now that the episode of the golden egg is behind us I want to reveal the truth behind my journey with you. I’m Liril disguised as Chip.”

Jeff was surprised. She added “Floria had fallen in love with me.”

She gave details.

He said “Without the golden egg I can’t approach the king for Floria. Let me forget her. We’ll get back soon and you can become Liril again. I’ll marry you.”

Chip met Floria and gave her details of his meeting with Tyfun, and that the golden egg had vanished. Chip also revealed that she had masqueraded as a male. Floria went to her father and told him about Jeff’s love for her and of how Liril alias Chip came into the picture. The king made enquiries about Jeff and felt he was worthy of marrying Floria.

The king asked “If Jeff marries you what will happen to Chip alias Liril?”

“Jeff has agreed to marry us both and we’ve consented.”

 While the weddings were being celebrated one of Tyfun’s men came and gave the golden egg to Liril saying it was Tyfun’s wedding present for the courage she had shown in contacting the brigand. The egg was duly transferred to the treasury. Sighting black cats had indeed augured well for all concerned!

END

October 24, 2022 11:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.