4 comments

Christmas Friendship

“Ugh, again Bill? How many times are you gonna get arrested this year?”

“Annie, come on, just this one last time. You can make it my Christmas present if you gotta.”

“Oh, Bill, like I’d get you a present. But you’re right it’s almost Christmas so I will give you something. I’m going to let you learn the lesson of dealing with the consequences of your actions, don’t call me again.” I hung up and threw the phone on the bed, then flopped down myself. God, I hate Christmas, it’s full of greedy people, and selfish users using the spirit for their gain. Ever since I was a kid Christmas was all about my mother and her wants, now it’s about her convict boyfriend Bill. Sigh. For once I wish I could have a holiday season with nothing but the holiday spirit, selflessness, and love. Of course, that’s impossible, so instead, I’ll fall asleep and wake up on the eve of a day just as terrible as the rest, Christmas. 

Knock, knock. “Urgh.” One of the most annoying sounds ever. Through the peephole, all I could see were elf hats, and ears.

“Yes?” I said to the group of elves.

“Happy Holidays ma’am! We are just going around and handing out fliers for some great places to volunteer during this jolly season. As well as collecting any cans for the food drive over at Dockin’s Café.” The one in the front called, chipperly with the widest smile I’ve ever seen. 

“I’m not sure I have any cans, but I’ll take a flier and go check.” I took the flier and closed the door. In the kitchen, I found corn and cranberry sauce, left over from Thanksgiving. 

“Will these work?” I showed the elves the cans.

“Yes, they will ma’am! Thank you very much for your kindness and generosity! We’ve got other houses to visit, so we’ll be going now.” They smiled and waved, I waved back, then closed my door again. Only then did I realize I was still wearing my pajamas, a tank top, and plaid sweats. With my cheeks burning I laid down on my couch and began reading the flier. It had a ton of wonderful charities in need of last-minute volunteers. I changed, then put on a coat and headed out. It was time to give to those who truly needed it.

I hailed a cab and was on my way to the closest place on the flier, a gift drive in the park. I arrived and went looking for the tree. 

“Hi!” I exclaimed, to the girl at the foldable table. 

“Good morning! Are you here to donate, or volunteer?” She too wore a Christmas-themed outfit, but it didn’t look standard.

“I’m here to volunteer, I received a flier indicating you were in need?” 

“That sounds about right.” She chuckled.

“No one really seems to be in the giving mood this year. But thankfully we have you now! Our second savior.”

“Well, I’m happy to be of service.” We laughed.

“My name is, Holly! Holly Belle, and yours?” I put my hand out.

“Annabelle but I prefer Annie.” We shook hands. I sat down in the empty chair beside her.

“So Holly, Belle huh?”

“Yeah, my dad’s big into Christmas, he probably would’ve cried if my mom hadn’t agreed to the name.” She smiled wistfully. I felt a sadness come over her, so I gave her, her moment. 

“Antyway! How bout’ I show you what we’ll be doing for the next 2 hours?” She smiled, looking herself again. I nodded, matching her enthusiasm. 

After she had shown me what to do, we just talked about the weather.

“So, what do you do, Annie?”

“I’m a dentist, it’s not too interesting but it helps people.” I shrugged.

“What about you Holly?”

“I happen to be a giver.” She put her hand to her heart, closed her eyes, and raised her head. Giving me the funniest smile. 

“Or…basically my family is rich, I didn’t want to sit around doing nothing, so instead of getting a job I don’t need, and taking it from someone else, I do this. I volunteer year-round wherever they need people and I always try and wear fun outfits, just for kicks.” As she spoke, she started doing busy work.

“I have to admit…I like you, Holly.” She turned to smile at me, and I smiled back.

2-hours later the ‘shift’ was done. I bid Holly Belle farewell and was on my way to a soup kitchen. When she started walking in the same direction, I asked her,

“Where are you headed now?”

“A soup kitchen on Carrington, they are very short today.” I chuckled.

“What?” She asked.

“I’m going there too. I guess we’ll be seeing more of each other.” Holly smiled softly.

“And happily so,” I said back, we arrived only a few minutes later. The kitchen was bustling, and the tables were full. People in well-worn clothes talked quietly at the tables, waiting patiently for lunch. Holly and I made our way back to the kitchen. 

“How can we help?” Holly asked as a blanket question. Someone hollered back,

“Grab a station anywhere.” We ventured further into the bustling hive till we found some empty spots in the scooping line. One by one the hungry stood and took a place in line, we would ladle some chili into their bowls, and they’d be on their way. Some went only as far as the tables, others, the quiet ones, left the building altogether. Once the main rush had subsided the kitchen buzzed with more than activity. The volunteers chatted with each other still keeping a careful eye on our work. 

“Hello,” I called to a boy next to me. He looked me in the eye to answer.

“Hello there.” He tipped a hat he wasn’t wearing. Holly chimed in.

“Hi, I’m Holly, and my friend here is Annie.” She smiled fully, then turned back to her work as someone approached. 

“People call me Zared.” He said back, more to the air than to us.

“How did you end up here Zared?” I asked. He seemed to think he was deep.

“I come here every week, more during holidays. It’s a good release from a stressful day.”

“What’s the release? The giving, or the feeling good?” I smiled as I asked.

“Both.” Zared paused.

“What do you do for a living, Annie?” Popular question today.

“I’m a dentist, and you?” He chuckled.

“Now who likes both? I’m a writer, not very popular now, but one day.”

“I’m sure you will be,” I said. I felt him turn his head and look at me, felt his eyes questioning whether that was sarcastic. Holly chipped in before he could ask.

“You two sure get along swell.” She followed Zared’s example

We all talked for the rest of the ‘shift,’ each ducking out of the conversation whenever someone came up. When the kitchen closed, we all left together. We walked to Holly’s; it was closest. It was dark by this point, and we had decided to just relax for the rest of the night. When we arrived, Holly unlocked the door and gave us a quick tour. She had a two-bedroom, with one bathroom, a living/dining room, and a small kitchen. Zared and I settled on her couch, and she went to the kitchen to grab some drinks. For an awkward second, we sat in silence, then Zared spoke.

“So, what are your holiday plans?”

“Oh, I’m…Actually, I don’t have many plans. My mom would demand I spend it with her but I’m not indulging her this year.”

“Gotcha, I’m no stranger to family issues. I was actually doing community service at the soup kitchen because of a dispute with my brother.” 

“Wow.”

“Yeah…” We were quiet again, but it was comfortable this time. 

Holly returned soon after, with the drinks. 

“Alrighty, so we got a martini with olive for Annie, a rum and coke for Zared, and a Tequila Sunrise for mwah.” 

“Gracias, my good friend,” I said taking a sip. 

“Dang, this is good. How’d you learn to make drinks like this, Mrs. Belle?” Asked Zared, gulping down more.

“I was a mixologist after I dropped out of college. I wanted to stay nearby to keep close to friends, so I got a job at a bar near campus.” Holly said casually.

“You dropped out?!” I was surprised. She chuckled.

“Yeah, my father bought my way in, and after I found out I dropped out, out of spite. Like I told you before I don’t take up spots meant for someone else.” Holly seemed almost sad for a moment, but she bounced back quick.

“Anyway, I’m glad you like them!”

“...Uh…Yes, they are really very good, that job was definitely worth it.” Zared responded. I changed the subject.

“So what are y’all’s plans for tomorrow or the holidays?”

Zared answered first. “I’m going to sleep in late, get a nice linner and then play video games on the system I got myself last night.” He smiled, but it seemed half-hearted.

“I’m not really sure what I’ll end up doing, probably just avoiding calls from my father.” We sighed, almost collectively. Then we drank. We drank and drank and we talked. 2 hours later Holly slurred:

“Do you guys wanna have breakfast tomorrow? I mean none of us have plans minaswell spend the day with each other.” 

“Why the hell not!” I resolved. We cheered. Holly grabbed some coffee after that and sobered up a bit. The night came to an end for me when I fell asleep on Holly’s couch.

When I woke up, my head was pounding. I looked around, as my vision cleared, to see I was still at Holly’s. I wasn’t the only one either, Zared was out nearby, snoozing on the floor. Holly was nowhere to be found. I checked the time, it was only 7. I fell back asleep deciding it was too early. A couple hours later I woke up to the sound of pouring. I sat up to see Holly making up 3 cups of coffee, with whip cream and what I can only assume was cinnamon. She looked up and saw me. She smiled.

“Good morning!” I smiled back, then yawned.

“Sorry, I passed out last night, but Merry Christmas, Holly Belle.” 

“Oh, it’s no problem, I love guests, and this makes breakfast much easier. And Merry Christmas!” She did jazz-hands then picked up two of the mugs and brought them over. She handed me one and sat down on the couch, once I had moved my legs. I took a big gulp.

“Oh, wait it’s hot!” Holly tried to stop me, but it was too late, I burned my tongue.

“Ooh sorry, girl. Stick it in the whip cream maybe it’ll help.” I shrugged and tried it. Zared woke up when Holly had warned me and was standing up to go get his mug.

“Ooh, these look super good too, thanks Holl’s.” I looked at him.

“Holls? Is that your nickname for her?” He nodded. I laughed. He sat down in the chair.

“Sooooo, who’s ready for breakfast? It’s about 11 now so it might be a bit busy.” I stood, 

“I am so ready. I need to fill my stomach with something other than drinks.” Zared laughed and nodded.

“Yeah, me too.” Holly smiled.

“Alright, let’s get ready and head out then.” She jumped up and scurried off to her bedroom. 

About an hour later, we all headed out. 

“So where do you guys wanna go?” I asked. 

“Hmm, there’s a cute little diner nearby, we could go there. They have a pretty delicious holiday menu.” Zared and I agreed with Holly’s suggestion and we made our way there. They sat us down almost immediately, because, somehow, it was practically empty. 

“Mornin’, ya’ll, I’m Bessie, what can I get ya to start?” The waitress asked. We all picked up the menus, to start looking, Holly ordered us some coffees. 

“Alrighty, I’ll be back in just a sec with those, then.” In the end, I settled on a strawberry crêpe with scrambled eggs. Zared got basic pancakes and bacon. And Holly got a ham platter with Santa shaped pancakes. 

After we ate Zared and Holly stopped me from leaving, they had serious looks on their faces. 

“What’s up guys, something wrong?” They shared a look then Zared began.

“Look Ann you’re great and it’s the holidays…”

“Yes?” Then Holly chimed in.

“So, we got you a present! I mean it’s for all of us, but it’s free!” I smiled; a bit confused.

“What is it?” I felt a wonderful feeling swell in my chest. Zared started again.

“It’s a trip! We’re all going to a beautiful beach! There was sadly an oil spill nearby recently, so we are gonna go down there for a week and help clean it up, every morning, except Wednesday. Other than that we get to swim, eat, drink! Oh, and the reason we won’t be volunteering Wednesday is because we’ll be on a boat for the whole day!” 

“Oh. My. Fucking. God! You are kidding me right!?” I was so excited. No one had ever gotten me such a heartfelt gift before. We’d get to help the ocean and sea-life but also have fun, and we’d be together.

“I…Love you guys. This is so amazing!” I felt tears in my eyes. Holly moved over to my booth side and hugged me.

“Love you too girl. This is going to be great.” Zared joined in. After the moment had ended, we all walked to the subway and went our separate ways, agreeing to meet up the day after tomorrow at my place. From there we would head to the airport and spend the best week of our lives together. I went to bed smiling that night, and every night from now on.

November 24, 2022 19:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Wendy Kaminski
04:30 Nov 29, 2022

This is so great, Jewel! Not only new friends, but so much in common, and I totally LOVED the gift idea at the end! Great story. :)

Reply

Jewel May
05:37 Nov 30, 2022

Aww, thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
01:01 Dec 01, 2022

This feels like an account of something that really happened. I've rarely had an experience with 'fast friends' work out so well.

Reply

Jewel May
03:03 Dec 02, 2022

It didn't actually happen, but I'm glad it comes across that way :D. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.