4 comments

Fiction Speculative Friendship

The museum group consisted of Dame Penelope Finch, John and Silvia Reed, Henry Hilton and Gloria Bentley. Penelope 55, was widely read, had travelled extensively, and was the author of a book on museums of the world. Reed now 60 had been part of British legations and Silvia who was 55 had shared life with him. Henry Hilton at 45 was an American and had been the head of Hilton Foods and taking a break was now interested in museums. Gloria Bentley 35 was British, was the daughter of a British diplomat and was interested in museums. The group met in conference mode when Penelope said “We’ll be making this trip to study the museums in India. Our first visit would be to the museum of the Maharaja of Kivu in India. You may not have heard of Kivu but I can tell you that it was a very prosperous State of British India in Victorian times. The Maharaja’s only son and would be successor, had been nicknamed Barton and I’ll continue to use it to refer to him. The Maharaja had married the daughter of a ruler of another State, and so had much wealth. Barton had entered college at Oxford when he was just 18. His friend was Lord Alfred Douglas son of the nefarious Marquis of Queensberry. Through Douglas, he had contact with Oscar Wilde. Barton later travelled to Africa and had lived there a while. He had many interests ranging from painting to collection of objet d’art. We will travel first to the State of Kivu after reaching India next week.”

As planned, the group was at the Kivu Maharaja’s museum. The first hall was of paintings and sculpture. Penelope whispered the introduction and said “There’re paintings by Barton displayed besides art acquired by him. He had received paintings as gifts from contemporary artists who hadn’t reached their heydays when their paintings would be sought after by museums and collectors at fabulous prices. Of course there’re paintings acquired from indigenous artistes which were exceptionally distinguished.” She referred to a note pad and added “There’re 52 paintings here out of which 2 were gifted to Barton by his friends Monet and Gauguin. Barton had acquired an Indian version of Card players by Edgar Degas which is on display here. It is notable. In the hall of sculptures there is a statue of Venus rising from the sea which is really admirable. Barton says he had bought it at an auction in Italy. He has meticulously recorded where or how he had come to possess each piece on display. Let us see the display.”

That done, the group next moved to the hall of artefacts and armour. Penelope said in a low voice “You’ll see the muskets and guns used during the Maharaja’s reign. You’ll see the 8 foot grandfather clock made to the order of one of the Maharaja’s ancestors by a famous Swiss clock manufacturer. The bottom of the pendulum swirls as it swings. It can be adjusted so that the hourly chimes are loud between the hours of 6 AM to 6 PM and is muted thereafter. Besides these, there’re opera glasses, binoculars and even telescopes on display”.

That finished, the group visited the biography hall. Penelope whispered “There’re paintings of ancestors and Hindu gods. Barton’s life is on display here. There are photos of Barton in England. His portrait as made by an Indian student of art can be seen. The photos of Barton with Oscar Wilde and Alfred Douglas can be seen. Also there’s a painting of Ellen Terry standing by Barton’s side which looks remarkable.”

The Africa hall was the next to be visited and the exhibits spoke for themselves. There were copious photographs of Barton amidst nude and almost nude natives. Photographs of Barton’s dexterity with the double barrelled gun could be seen: He had shot dead a wild elephant and a lion and was standing alongside the quarry, gun in hand. The photograph of Barton alongside 2 nude pygmy girls looks notable.

Then there was an ornament hall which featured sartorial embellishments besides head gear. Barton could be seen barely distinguishable from natives in the dresses he wore and the head gear he had on. Diamond and gold jewellery bequeathed to him were on display. There were ample carvings of ivory. Barton’s bed made of wood, carved with sensuous motifs and set with Ivory was on display. It had been designed by a French engineer fitted complete with ease for bodily elimination.

Penelope softly explained “The bed is said to be very light and could be easily set to swing by whoever occupied it. It is called the flying bed. It is also known as the virgin’s bed, not the biblical virgin, as it was said to be actuated by amorous activity! It is said that there is a vernacular term not for cot moving but for cot breaking due to amorous activity and that effort is said to be highly regarded! After seeing this hall, we would’ve seen all that this museum has to offer. We shall then meet in the adjoining cafe to discuss further”

In a special room of the cafe the 5 of the museum group gathered and started discussing:

REED: Penelope, Barton seems to have mixed with Lord Alfred Douglas.

PENELOPE: Yes. They were probably room-mates, the right term to use probably! We don’t know if Barton was called for examination by the court in the trial of Oscar Wilde*.”

SILVIA; There is no mention of Barton’s marriage. He had only enough boyfriends it looks like.

PENELOPE: You could be right.

SILVIA: Was Ellen Terry very famous?

PENELOPE: Of course. She was a stage actress and was most famous for her role in enactment of Shakespeare’s plays. She was celebrated for her role as Ophelia in HAMLET.

GLORIA: I saw the book of Bernard Shaw’s plays displayed in the museum. It had Shaw’s signature on it.

PENELOPE: Barton was Shaw’s fan. In 1933 while Shaw was on a round the world trip, his ship docked in Bombay. Barton went with the book and obtained his signature.

GLORIA: Barton was probably well read.

PENELOPE: Undoubtedly. He had probably overcome the diversions he had and qualified.

HILTON: The bed which was exhibited was very nice. I’ve got a rough idea of its design and will get one like it made once I’m back in Hawaii.

GLORIA: You men can think of nothing else but beds!

PENELOPE: Gloria, each one has his or her opinion. Allow Hilton to air his views.

GLORIA: From the number of pictures of Barton with unclad men and women in Africa, I suppose he would be what we now term LGBTQ+.

PENELOPE: Yes. We don’t know the truth. From the company he had and the fact that he never got married I suppose he was abnormal.

REED: He wasn’t given any title by the queen.

PENELOPE: Barton did nothing notable like writing a book etc. He was a British India subject and was merely looked up to by people of his State. He only spent money he collected.

GLORIA: His diamond ring which was on display was exquisite.

PENELOPE: Barton had jewellers from France and Russia who were great craftsmen.

HILTON: I agree with Gloria. I’ve the money to buy a diamond like it, but only a jeweller can say if he could make one like the Barton ring. May be I’ll get a designer of jewels to see this ring and try to get it copied.

SILVIA: It looks like Barton had money to travel around the globe and live an easy life. Why did he need a qualification from Oxford?

PENELOPE: He had the money and didn’t need a job.

GLORIA: Today if he had been alive he would’ve been hooked by say a superstar.

PENELOPE: Considering his proclivities a female could be deceived. Don’t forget that. However I’ll say this: After succeeding his late father, he had donated a big sum for the welfare of the female in India. He’ll be remembered as at least 2 big hospitals have been named after him.

GLORIA: I was tickled pink by this visit having seen so many unclad women and also men.

PENELOPE: That’s because we travelled back in time. Now that this visit is over our next will be announced shortly. Thank you all.

END

*Oscar Wilde was tried for homosexual practices – then an offence - with Alfred Douglas, was convicted, and served a prison sentence. It was the Marquess of Queensberry who lodged the complaint and followed it up till Wilde went to prison.

*



February 09, 2021 02:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

02:07 Feb 19, 2021

The blog is about the past and not all would know about the milieu perhaps like you. Details have been provided to make the blog reader friendly. Thanks for your comments. Regards

Reply

Show 0 replies
That Asian Creep
14:07 Feb 18, 2021

Hello. Your story is interesting but I think you’ve added too much detail. Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Claudia Morgan
16:51 Feb 13, 2021

Hi, I’m from the Critique Circle! This was a good plot but felt very factual. Maybe try showing as opposed to telling. Also the choice to put speech in script form felt a bit odd, but it doesn’t really take away from the plot. Good job!

Reply

Sivaram Govindaraj
03:08 Feb 14, 2021

Thanks. Regards.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.