3 comments

Funny Kids Happy

Dear diary - I guess? -    

It’s my first time writing a diary and I quite forgot how it works. I know it’s the 3rd of Jan and not the first, but I have been a little busy these days. Well, no, I actually forgot. 

I think I must tell you why I started writing a diary at all. Well, it’s my brother! 

He started one so I thought I might do so too.

Mom said it would be cool if I put a goal I wish to achieve this year, and since I have nothing else in mind to write today I thought of an extraordinarily unique and difficult goal:

In this year, I, Charlie, shall find a friend, a truly faithful friend.

Good night my dear diary,

Charlie,

***

Dear diary,

The weather is very cold tonight, and I'm really tired so I’ll make it brief.

I started you, for the sole reason that my mom suggested it. 

“It would be good practice for your writing Ronica.”

So, it’s the 3rd of January, and since I've never written a diary before, I kind of forgot to write my two first entries. But don’t worry we didn’t do anything that important, and I promised myself I’ll always write whenever something important arrives because to be honest not every day of my life is worth recording. 

Since it’s the beginning of a new year, and I'm becoming 12, I have set a very hard goal for myself:

I, Ronica, shall find a friend, a truly faithful friend.

I guess that’s all

Goodnight,

Ronica,

***

Dear diary,

Today I wore my favorite peach- colored dress for school. That was for multiple reasons:

1 it’s the first day of school after the winter break

2 it’s my first at a new school - since we moved from our old neighborhood a couple of days ago -

I felt it necessary to specify the reasons, since I only wear this dress for special occasions, ONLY. 

It is at the beginning of my first day at school when I decided how I’m going to achieve my goal. I’m going to befriend EVERYONE, and then decide who is to be my best friend. I know it sounds a little immoral, but don’t worry I won't shun or bully anyone. 

Goodnight, 

Charlie,

***

Dear diary,

I had my favorite cereal for breakfast today! I don’t know if people usually talk about their meals in a diary, but it sounds important enough for me.

Today was my first day of school, after the winter break, and in a new school. We moved in from our old neighborhood a week ago. 

All those in our class seem friendly enough, but I won't judge anyone from one day’s acquaintance. I sat all day in my seat and practically didn’t even one step towards my goal. I was never the social type, so it might take me some time, bear with me. But I promise I'll start knowing them more as soon as I can, or as soon as I remember their names.

Well, goodnight for now,

Ronica,

***

Dear diary,

It’s been almost a week since the beginning of school, AND I am almost friends with everyone (except a couple of shy people). Stacey, Charles, Asher, and Ronald are such nice people! Abby even invited me to her birthday party. I am so sure I'll love this neighborhood. Alan brought the class some cookies, and Alice allowed me to share her favorite coloring pencils. 

I still won’t judge any from that short a time, but I'm sure that I'm going to have a friend this year, or probably much more. I didn't think it would be that easy. 

Goodnight, 

Charlie,

***

Dear diary,

It seems conversing with others is harder than I ever thought, so I decided to observe my classmates instead (at least for the present); it’s much easier and involves fewer interactions with anyone. 

Here’s what I gathered:

Stacey: a very wicked spoiled girl, who tries to control everybody in class (profoundly succeeding at that actually)

Alan: a kind kid, thought a little weird and well..., weird. You get what I mean

Alice: a nice girl, she likes sharing her color pencils for some obscure reason, but I think with good intentions.

Charles, Asher, and Ronald seem to be nice enough, but they’re less outgoing so I need a little more time to know them. 

There are some others whom I don't know their names, but we'll get about that soon enough seemingly, for our class is really small.

Goodnight my diary,

Ronica,

***

Dear diary,

I think I may not be as near to my goal as I thought I am. I started feeling that those whom I liked just a week ago, are a little artificial ( I don't know if you can say that about people, but I don’t mean any insult to them). It’s not that they’re bad. They’re just not true. And by the way, I actually got to know some new kids:

1 Edward is a shy and - honestly - timid boy, he keeps constantly talking about potatoes for heaven’s sake! 

2 Alex is or rather was (don’t worry he’s not dead, he just moved to another class - gladly -.) a show off boy whose priorities are (arranged in order): his new shoes, his “amazing” hair, his masculine reputation, his shoes, and lastly his education (for the sole reason that it makes him look cooler). I have noticed that in every class he first checks on his shoes, fixes his hair absentmindedly, smiles around annoyingly, checks his shoes again, and then pays attention to what the teacher has been babbling about for about 10 min since the class started.

3 a girl named Monica or Ronica I really can’t remember. She’s a new girl like me and seems a little nice, but stays away from everyone else. At first, I thought she was really full of herself, but then I noticed that she was actually afraid to start any conversation. So I started one for her! Didn’t go out as well as I thought. She went red at first, surprised (and I guessed a little annoyed), then she talked a little, and stared at me silently. I think she needs more time (and effort on my side) to get a little loose, as they say. I don’t know why anyone might find a first conversation hard to start!?

Goodnight,

Charlie,

P.S. I know I should be writing every day, but it’s a little hard to remember, and I guess you noticed it’s been a very busy week.

***

Dear diary,

I think I'm going to give up that goal I had sooner than I thought. Our classmates are such rough people. I gave up observing everybody soon enough. “I’ll leave the goal’s fate to fate and see what happens” (that’s what I decided).

Sooner than I thought (again) fate decided to come. This girl called Charlie - I think? - came up a couple of days ago, and tried to start a conversation! Do people do that out of the blue normally? I believe a proper introduction should precede any random unplanned conversation.

I was taken by surprise and didn’t act as politely as I might wish, since I don’t usually talk to strangers freely. However, besides being nosey and too outgoing - in my opinion - she seems to be a nice girl, humble enough I believe.

I hope you may overlook the fact that I write only one time every week or so, but I guess you noticed it’s been a busy week.

Goodnight,

Ronica,

***

Dear diary,

That girl, Ronica's her name, is a really cute person. She’s humble and funny once you get to know her. I think I found my true friend! unlike any other in class, she IS true. 

I’m sorry today’s entry is extremely short, but I have to go read a book we agreed to finish together, and it’s taking much more time than I expected.

Goodnight,

Charlie,

***

Dear diary,

This girl, Charlie’s her name, turned out to be really nice. She wasn’t as nosey as I thought she was. She started coming to talk with me (now I was more mentally prepared)and we were soon walking in the playground together. I hope we get to become good friends. Then my goal wouldn’t be as forsaken as I have thought before!

We even agreed to finish a book together. Imagine how cool it would be to discuss a book with someone who actually read it!

Nighty,

Ronica,

January 08, 2021 20:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Fomichi Fomichi
09:49 Jan 15, 2021

Hello dear Lama Diriyeh, I have read your story and I would like to give an honest feedback to it. Please, feel free to disagree with me. And do not accept it too personally (since I am only 1 person out of more than 7 billion on Earth and I can be wrong). 1. There is nothing to «hook» me as a reader. It doesn’t matter «what» the story is about. It should be more «how» the story is told. Your story is told in the boring way. How to fix it: try to look at other writers' diaries. Probably you would like to use the technique «stream of consci...

Reply

Lama Diriyeh
13:37 Jan 15, 2021

Thanks a lot for the advices. I really need to practice these tips more in my writing, and that's why I try to write more stories in this contest. I'm really glad you took the time to give me such detailed advices :)

Reply

Lama Diriyeh
13:40 Jan 15, 2021

I would be grateful if you also read my other stories, and give me some feedback on them too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.