A fairy tale

Written in response to: Write a story that involves eavesdropping.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

My brother and I were very excited for this weekend. We were going to go camping. We've never been before but father has when he was our age. He told us about fishing, hunting, eating smores, and sleeping under the stars. Like I said, we were very excited.

The day of our trip, my brother ran into my room, waving his arms frantically, his eyes bulging. I close the book I was reading about a fairy tale, and turned to him annoyed.

"I don't want to play right now, Hans. I want to read a little before we have to go. Make sure your stuff is packed. Mom and Dad'll be very mad if they have to turn the car around because you forgot your socks."

I turned around and flipped through the pages in my book. Suddenly, my brother grabs my arm and yanks me out of my seat.

"What-"

He quickly covered my mouth before I could say anything else. He put a finger to his lips and pointed to the hallway.

I looked into his eyes, finally seeing that he's scared. My brother doesn't play pranks with me. I knew this was real.

Quietly, we tiptoed into the hallway. He led me to our parents room. The door was open a crack, a little sliver of light flowing out.

I put my ear to the door just in time to hear my parents arguing.

"I'd say we should just kick them out of the car and leave them on the side of the road." I heard my dad say.

"No, we already discussed this, we're leaving them in the woods. They'll surely get lost and die of starvation."

I looked at my brother confused. What were they talking about? I mouthed.

He shook his head and told me to listen more.

"What if somebody found them? Then everybody will know what we did! Can't we chop them up?"

There was a pause.

"Fine. But I'm not doing it. I don't want to ruin my good dress."

There was footsteps coming towards the door. I looked at my brother, eyes wide. He grabbed my hand and pulled me to my room, shutting the door behind us.

"What are they talking about?" I whispered. "Leaving them in the woods and chopping them up? Is it us? Why do they want to hurt us? Don't they love us?:"

My brother shook his head. "I heard them say a few nights ago that there isn't enough money and too many mouths to feed. Dad mentioned putting us up for adoption but Mom didn't want people to know. So their leaving us in the woods."

"Wait, a few nights ago? Why didn't you tell me about this sooner? We could've been ready!"

"I'm sorry but-"

My brother was cut off by a knock on the door. "Children, it's time to leave."

My brother and I exchanged terrified looks and opened the door. My mother was standing their smiling down at us like nothing happened.

So I decided to play the game too.

"Yep! We're packed and ready to go! I triple checked Hans bag just in case. You know how forgetful he is."

Hans looked at me incredulous. I gave him a big smile.

"Well then, give your bags to your father so he can put them on the wagon."

"Yes ma'am." I motioned for Hans to follow me.

Once outside, Hans whispered to me, "What was that all about?"

"Act like you didn't hear anything. Nothing happened. Play the game their playing." I turned to my brother. "We're not going to let them win."

. . .

My parents were still acting like everything is okay. My mom brought fruit and our favorite cake. Thing is, my brother and I weren't doing so good.

We kept ourselves on our toes. We didn't know when they would strike. It could be at night or at the last moment.

Little did we know, it was sooner.

"Honey, how about you take the kids with you and collect some firewood. I hope your axe is sharpened so it won't be messy."

Our father gulped, and picked his axe up off the ground.

"Kids." He said.

My brother took my hand and squeezed it tightly.

"Oh, and honey?" My mom said. "Bring something back for dinner."

. . .

My father walked on ahead, my brother and I trailing along, stumbling on the uprooted Earth.

Nobody talked.

We continued to walk until the sun was starting to set. At last we stopped.

My father turned towards us, glancing at my brother, then at me.

"I know this might be a shock to you, but your mother is trying to get rid of you. She wanted me to chop your heads off with my axe and leave your remains. But I can't do that to my own children. I love you both."

Confused, my brother and I hugged him. My father, kissing us on our cheeks, started running back the way we came.

"What now?" I asked.

"We go back." My brother said, pointing to piece of bread on the ground.

I looked at him confused. "What do you mean?"

"I took one of mothers bread. I've been breaking tiny pieces as we walked."

"Yeah so?"

He rolled his eyes. "It's a trail!!!"

I jumped up and hugged him. "Oh my gosh, Hans, thank you so much!!"

I took his hand, and together we started walking the path.

. . .

"Um, Hans? What are we going to do once we find our way back?"

"I don't know. I don't suppose you want to go back to Mother and Father."

I shook my head. Mother would kill us herself if she found out we were alive.

. . .

Soon it got dark.

"Um, Hans, does this seem longer to you?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, does the path back seem longer than going in?"

"Yeah, I was thinking that too. I don't remember this at all."

"Are you sure you didn't screw up the path?"

"I'm sure. I dropped a piece of bread whenever we made a turn. Every now and then, I would drop another so we know were walking in a straight line."

"It just doesn't feel right."

. . .

"Hans, I feel like someone is watching us."

Hans chuckled. "Yeah, the birds, lizards, every single creature in the forest."

I punched him jokingly. "You know what I meant. I feel li-"

My brother cupped his hand around my mouth. I tried to pull his hand off of me but he pointed to something that caught my attention.

Down the bread path, was a large house made entirely of candy. Lights illuminated the house, making everything look like a dream.

"Gretel, I think someone led us here."

I looked at him, stomach rumbling.

November 08, 2021 21:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.