9 comments

Drama

Carter

I've come this far to back out now. There’s no turning back. I shouldn’t turn back!

               The clothes on my bed were carefully handpicked four days ago for this mission. I’ve tried wearing it in the dark, there’s no doubt that I’m going to be completely invisible. I slid on the black worn-out trousers that I bought years ago, black long sleeves shirt with a few holes at the bottom, a pair of worn-out dark blue sneakers, and a pair of black rubber gloves, the kind that electricians use.

               Almost everyone’s asleep. There are only five units per floor and about three-to-four families are still wide awake, which makes it easier for me to complete this mission. I grabbed my bag filled with all the things that I need before heading outside.

               I’ve managed to tiptoe down the stairs and circle around the building as planned to avoid being caught on CCTVs. The main fuse box is just behind the building, so I proceed. Unlocking the fuse box is easy when you’ve unlocked dozens of doors before. I move ahead by cutting all fuses that connect to corridor and lobby lighting. I don’t want to cut all wires because doing so would cost me a lot. So instead, I turn off the main switch for unit 18.

Maribel

               “I thought this year is going to be different...guess I’m wrong again,” I whisper to myself as I sat on the edge of the bed and look around my bedroom. Before this room was officially mine, it was too plain, filled only with a single bed, a wardrobe, a side table, and a few junks that grandpa kept here (because he doesn’t have any place to keep it) with a dusty white wall surrounding everything. It was redecorated on my 15th birthday. The greatest gift I could ever ask for. Now it’s purple and filled with the usual things a bedroom would have, the difference is I got a place to put father’s telescope and mother’s fairy lights that I hang on the wall above the bed.

               Grandma’s sleeping I guess, she has been in her room ever since we finish dinner. Grandpa went out saying he’s going to meet someone. In reality, I know he just needs some alone time so he doesn’t have to see me because he hates crying for things he can’t control. Obviously, I’m alone and lonely right now, therefore I decided to start reading one of the books that I bought at thrift shop days ago.

               I’m halfway through the second chapter when the lights went out. Ugh, great.  I hopped on my feet and head to the kitchen because there’s a special drawer that grandma use to store things for survival: matches, lighters, pocket knives, first aid kit, candles. You name it she has it. So I’m pretty sure she would have a pack of a flashlight in there too.

               While I was searching for the flashlight someone taped my mouth from behind. Firstly they tied my arms next my feet. This situation shocked me so much that I couldn’t do anything to help myself. The next thing I know, I was in a sack.

Carter

                At first, she’s like ‘I don’t know what you’re doing to me, but I don’t really care’, but then as soon as I picked her up and carry her over my shoulder she started struggling and trying to scream. As I had expected, she doesn’t even weigh much, so struggling doesn’t really help her, she’s only tiring herself by doing so.

               By the time we’ve reached the ground floor, I started panting. For someone that’s so light, it is still exhausting to carry her way down from the fourth floor. I put her down on the pavement and took off the sack from her head. She started crying as soon as she sees my face. I peel off the tape from her mouth so she could speak.

               “Why would you kidnap me?! Do you have any idea how scared I am? How could you?” she ask me question after question furiously.

               “I’m sorry,” I want to answer them but I thought it’s better to show her instead of explaining. After untying both her hands and feet I helped her up. She still won’t look at me so I gently grab her hand and pull her towards the center of the building. The look on her face when she saw the building’s wall was worth it.

Maribel

               “OMG did you do this?” I ask fascinated by what I just saw. The walls are filled with tiny stars of shapes and sizes. It’s enticing. Curious about how these stars are even there I went to touch it. I guess Carter saw that confused look on my face so he answers the question I didn’t ask.

               “I sneaked out every night when everyone’s asleep to paint these stars using a bottle of glow-in-the-dark paint,” he said while rubbing the back of his neck with one hand, “I remember how much you love star and…I don’t know what to give you for your birthday so, umm…I made these. For you”

               “Thank you,” I said. “You, young man has just made my day.”

               “Don’t thank me yet. There’s something else I want to show you.”

               “What is it?”

               “Follow me,” he said grinning at me. So I did.

               We went upstairs again, using the emergency stairs straight up to the rooftop. When he opened the rooftop door I could see the dimly lit candles standing still on top of a table. On the table, there are a few cupcakes each has an individual letter arranged to spell my name. On top of the last cupcake, there’s a piece of paper with a quote that says ‘You are our star that brings light to our darkness. Our beautiful star of the sea. ’ I know this quote, my parents always whisper them to my ears before bed, but since they’re gone nobody ever heard of it again.

               Tears started filling up my eyes, in the end, the hot tears managed to trickle down my cheeks. Carter pats me on the back to calm me down and let me cry for a minute.

               “Where did you find this quote?”

               “I read it at your room last year while we were hanging out and ask your grandma about it she said it’s something that you used to hear but not again after you moved in,” he explained, “don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to make you cry or anything, I just thought I want to make you heard them again after all these years. I’m sorry if you don’t like it.”

               “It’s okay. Not your fault I’m just getting sentimental all of a sudden. And I’m grateful that you do all of this just to make me happy.

               “Now. Would you mind if we stargaze together at that corner?” he asked with a smile so mischievous.

               “Why is it there? It was in my room when the lights went out” I ask while pointing at my father’s telescope

               “Oh, I have a few accomplices that help me plan out all of this. You wouldn’t know.

               “Wait a minute, are you the one that cut off the electricity?”

               He doesn’t answer me but keeps on plastering that smile I always like on his face.

 

 

 

[Maribel as a girl's name is a blend of the Latin for Mary, "star of the sea", and the French for Belle, "beautiful".]


September 11, 2020 12:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Hi Danielle! This was a great story, but there were a few grammatical errors. Here's a few of them, since I think you still have to edit this: "I've come this far to back out now." I suggest changing it to "I come too far to back out now". There are times where you accidentally use "has" where you should use "have", and vice-versa. For example, "You name it, she have it" should be "You name it, she has it". I suggest trying Grammarly, it will help you with these things. Your story itself is great, with a little editing it would go fro...

Reply

06:35 Sep 12, 2020

Hi! Thank you for reading. I'm glad you mention these grammatical errors. Thanks again. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Grace Reardon
20:17 Sep 11, 2020

This story is really good, it's very well written, and thx for checking out my stories!

Reply

20:58 Sep 11, 2020

Thank you! I'm really glad that you think so. Your stories are great too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zea Bowman
13:24 Sep 21, 2020

Wow! I loved reading this story; it was full of great descriptions and I loved the way you ended it. The words seemed to flow effortlessly together. Could you please come read some of my stories? Thanks :)

Reply

11:15 Sep 22, 2020

Thank youu soo much for reading!! Suree i’d love to read your stories😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
02:45 Sep 12, 2020

This was a really well-written story. You managed the cuts between the two characters well, and the language you used was vivid and descriptive. I love the meaning of Maribel, it's cool that you included it at the end. Amazing work!

Reply

06:45 Sep 12, 2020

Thank you! I had to checked the novels I'd read to learn how to describe the surroundings in the story and yes! I also love the meaning of her name. She got that name because her father is an astrologist and both her parents love stars. Thx for reading!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
06:47 Sep 12, 2020

That's so cool!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.