18 comments

High School Happy Romance

Graduation’s After Party

I never expected to fall in love with Esme Peltonen. Ever. She was the one who sat at the back of the classroom, who never raised her hand in class, the girl no one noticed. Except, me. I would be seated next to her since everyone else was too afraid. “She’s a witch!” They would say and they would push me towards the back, “You have to sit next to her Ryder, you’re the worst after her!” Which to be fair, hurt a little, but I did as they told me to. Ever since the start of Year 10, the year I got my growth spurt, I became what the school stereotypes called, ‘popular’. They told me which role I had to play, the charismatic and flirtatious spot was already filled by Jackson Phillips. The second best, the third, fourth, and even the fifth-best was taken, by other guys in my year. So, I was awarded, ‘the Magician’. The one that whisked girls off their feet, because of my ‘magic’. I know, how stupid is that?!

Things changed after Graduation, slightly. I was kicked out of the group since I was going to university overseas. Father said, “It’s not proper for lads your age to be sent to public universities. I will only send you to the very best of colleges, so you’ll be going to my old school in England.” I didn’t have a choice, but now, something was holding me back from travelling to the other side of the world. Esme. I had flirted, driven her, and even danced with her, all in one day. That didn’t exactly mean she liked me… but my hopes were high. I took her to prom, in that expensive car I told Father I wouldn’t damage. Things were going well, we had become friends at least, and at some point, she had turned a blind eye to my flirting, which means she must’ve enjoyed it. 

It would ruin the story to say things went downhill, but they did. Esme’s cousin was badly injured, and the ambulance took her away. Esme was screaming and crying, begging the paramedics to take her with them, but they had already chosen Aspen, thinking she was Mila’s closet relative. A real shocker, huh? 

“THEY’VE GOT MY COUSIN, RYDER!” She had screamed, and I did 

everything in my power to soothe her. 

“I know, Esme, but you need to stay strong,” I led her out of the hall, and 

put a hand on her cheek, once we were in the outside corridor. 

“You need to be okay,” I had whispered, watching the tears fall from her 

pale cheeks. 

“You need to be okay for yourself, for Mila, and me. Can you do that 

for me, Esme?” She had nodded the slightest bit, her eyes still misty. I took her arm and led her to my car.

“I’ll take you to Mila, is that okay?” Esme nods again, fiddling with her fingers, her eyes red.

“Come on Witchy, smile for me. Mila will be fine,” She blinked, and then gave me a small smile.

“Thanks for h-helping me, Ryder. You really didn’t have to,” I flashed her a grin,

“S’ok Es. We’re friends, ‘kay? We help each other out,” She leaned her head against the headrest and sighed. 

“I can’t believe of all the days something went wrong, it was on Graduation day.” She had stated, before going silent for the rest of the trip. 

I drove to the hospital, making sure I kept my eye on the ambulance, especially when it crossed the red lights, it was hard to keep up. We finally reached the hospital, and it turned out we had gotten there before Aspen. Esme had asked the receptionist if we could see Mila, but the lady behind the desk had said it was too soon for visiting. So, we sat in the waiting room, and well, waited. 

“Ryder?”

“Hmm?” I stopped looking at the other distractions in the room, like the TV playing the latest soccer match and kept my gaze on her.

“I’m scared,”

“Mila will be-”

“It’s not that,” A curtain of hair covered one side of her face, as she took off one of her golden leaf clips. Her hair unravelled in waves, and I couldn’t help but stare at her beauty, the prettiness no one else saw. 

“What are you scared of then?”

“I- If- I’m scared of falling for you, and then you’ll break my heart,” She had whispered, her voice so gentle and soft, I struggled to hear her. 

“Me?” 

“Yeah, you. The boy who kindly drove me here,”

“Why me? We haven’t known each other for very long and-”

“Ryder, I know why you sat at the back of the class, next to me this year. I know why you were my partner, every time Mila went with one of her other friends. You saw me, unlike everyone else. You knew I would sit alone, and you didn’t care what other people thought when you sat next to me. Otherwise… you wouldn’t have done it.” Tears were still falling down the side of her face, as she undid the second golden clip. I smiled, she had read me like an open book. 

“And even though you knew, you didn’t say anything?” I asked and her cheeks flushed slightly. 

“Well, I guess you were like my guardian angel. That sounds wrong to say, but you sort of subtly watched over me. I’m sorry, I should’ve said something, and I should’ve thanked you-”

“You don’t have to be scared, Esme. I’m not going to break your heart,” I drew back her hair, as she hid herself away from the world, but tonight, I wanted her to shine. I placed a finger to her cheek and wiped away her tears. And then, I kissed her. With a raging passion that burned inside since I’d ever laid eyes on her. And that fire burned between the both of us when she kissed me back. There we were, kissing in the middle of an emergency waiting room. 

“You don’t have to be afraid, Witchy. If I ever break your heart, which I won’t, but if I do, you can run me over with my father's expensive car,” That earned a laugh, as she wiped her eyes for the last time. She held both golden leaf clips in her hand until she attached one onto my shirt pocket.

“Keep it safe for me, okay? I know this is sudden, and not the best time and place but… sometimes the people we’re waiting for, come at the most unexpected times.” And then she kissed me again, whispering how we would both never be afraid as long as we had each other. 

~

Two months later

Witchy (Esme) 💜 [ONLINE]

Me: Where do you want to go?

Witchy (Esme) 💜: Surprise me

Me: Did you tell your parents? Oh, and did you ask Mila about the double date?

Witchy (Esme) 💜: Yes, and yes. My parents said I have to be home before 11:30 pm, and Mila thinks it’s a great idea. Aspen will book the seats. 

Witchy (Esme) 💜: Mum said our parents are having dinner next week, on Tuesday. So we can go out

Me: I bet they’re going to talk about universities

Witchy (Esme) 💜: Don’t remind me, Ry

Me: Be at your front door in 5

Me: I hope you like polo shirts!

Witchy (Esme) 💜: It’s almost been three months and I’ve never seen you wear the same clothes twice 

Me: It’s more fun wearing something new every day!

Me: But sometimes I do wear the same clothes, you just don’t notice because you’re too busy looking up at me

Witchy (Esme) 💜: I notice everything about you Ryder Nibali

Witchy (Esme) 💜: Like how you said you’d be here in five minutes but it’s been three minutes and you’re still texting 

Me: True, but Noah is driving me, besides I’m nearly here

Witchy (Esme) 💜: I bet you’re going to be late

Me: Oh?

Witchy (Esme) 💜: Yup

Me: You’ll hear the doorbell ring in a minute

Witchy (Esme) 💜: No I won’t 

Me: I’m walking up…

Witchy (Esme) 💜: Damn it, I was wrong 

Me: Hah! Now open the door, I’ve been standing out here for a year!

Witchy (Esme) 💜: Haha, Rich Boy. Very funny. 

I never expected to fall in love with Esme Peltonen. Ever. She was the one who sat at the back of the classroom, who never raised her hand in class, the girl no one noticed. Except, me. However, I won’t regret the choice I made at the restaurant. So many things have happened since then, I’m staying in the country because something is holding me back from going to England. Esme. We’re going to the same university, AND Father let me keep the car. Which might I add, I still have yet to damage it, and, Esme is taking me out tomorrow, I wouldn’t miss that for the world. 

December 18, 2020 22:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

Jasey Lovegood
00:25 Dec 20, 2020

Helloooo friends, this is a Part 2 for Graduation, but this time it's in Ryder's POV. Enjoy! :D (Also yes, I forgot to write this comment when I first posted the story, but I had two minutes to submit lol)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Akshaya ✨
11:34 Dec 20, 2020

Hi Jasey! I loved your story! It was fantastic to read and provided more insight into the characters (especially Ryder) We could understand what were the events that followed your previous story, 'Graduation'. Great job! Keep it up! :)

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
11:50 Dec 20, 2020

Thank you so much, Akshaya! I love reading your feedback, I appreciate it a lot. :D

Reply

Akshaya ✨
12:46 Dec 20, 2020

Of course! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
05:09 Jan 31, 2021

Ahhhhh Jaseyyy, I'm so glad Ryder and Esme got a happy ending :) The story was beautifully written (as always) and I liked the repetition of the description of Esme when you said it again at the end of the story, it tied it all together quite nicely. I really liked Ryder's pov bc ofc we wanna know more about this ✨mYsTeRiOuS RiCh bOy✨ from your story 'Graduation' ahaha. I can't believe how many new stories you have since I last checked! You've got 20 now woooo! ~ yours truly, moi :)

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
08:44 Jan 31, 2021

Hiiiiii Zoé! Tysm for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed the story, it was fun writing in mYsTeRiOuS RiCh bOy's POV. And yes, 20 stories! I haven't been writing as much currently, but there's more to come. :D

Reply

21:22 Jan 31, 2021

Yayyyy! We should write a GG sequel some time.. :)

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
21:30 Jan 31, 2021

Yes, ofc! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:07 Dec 20, 2020

Oh wow!! This story was soo cute!! Loved it! Happy writing! :)

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
23:32 Dec 20, 2020

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it :D

Reply

16:44 Dec 21, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Crows_ Garden
15:06 Apr 19, 2022

Aww! That's so cute : >

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hi Jasey! Loved it so much! Great work on everything! It was super sweet till the ending and played really well! Again wonderful!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
02:47 Jan 02, 2021

Thank you so much, Varsha! It was a lot of fun making a happy ending for Esme and Ryder. :)

Reply

Sure! And yes I loved it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
17:40 Dec 19, 2020

Hello Jasey! This story was soooooooo good!!!!!!!!!! It fir the prompt really nicely!!! Great job! :D

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
00:23 Dec 20, 2020

Aww thanks for the feedback, Kate! :D

Reply

Kate Reynolds
00:46 Dec 20, 2020

Ofc!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.