4 comments

General


Marcus wondered if the Council would ever choose him. And, early one morning, as he gazed at the fading stars from his kitchen window, his transmitter band beeped of an incoming call. He was finally chosen. Now Marcus could show everyone his significance. His value. His worth. The next—even more important—step would be the List.    


Marcus hummed a lively show tune from the early twentieth century—old show tunes fascinated him—called Anything Goes while he directed the drink dispenser to make coffee. As his thoughts swam with images of people gazing at him with admiration, Anni, his state-appointed wife, yawned her way into the room. She blinked as the orange glow of the ceiling emitted warm rays of filtered light.


She blinked a few more times and murmured. “You didn’t clean up last night, and it was your turn, Marcus.” Her eyes rested on the kitchen counter, cluttered with food wrappings, vegetable scraps and dirty forks. Wrinkling her nose, she added, "It smells in here."


He laughed as if her words were of a child and handed her a cup of coffee. “Forget about that. Listen. I have incredible news, Anni. The Council selected me for transposal. I found out before you got up. Isn’t it wonderful?”


At the age of transposal—which occurred between the ages of 21 through 25—the Council selected certain humans to host the life essence and energy of former significant, historical humans, known as Significants. It was these Significants who formed the List. Scientists, by years of researching, extracting and recreating the Significant’s DNA, soon discovered how to transpose them; i.e., “bring them back to life,” using the bodies of their human hosts. Once completed, the Council reassigned the human/host to another community far away from the interference of loved ones for scientific study and observation. Although many citizens frowned upon the practice, the Council deemed transposal as an effective way to study significant humans of past generations. Even the less desirable ones.


Anni lips curled as she stared at her cup. Undeterred by her silence, his attention turned to the hallway’s floor-to-ceiling mirror. Smiling, he admired his straight white teeth and tilted his golden head for a better view. Yes, he was a beautiful specimen of a man, and it pleased him. Bulging muscular biceps strained his fitted black shirt, but when he went out, his physique wasn’t what others noted: it was his face. Clear skin, lightly tanned, and blue eyes that sparkled beneath long golden eyelashes. Anni is lucky to have me, he thought. Does she realize her good fortune?


“Will you stop admiring yourself?” Anni frowned. “And to be honest, I’m not excited for you because now your life is over.” Placing her cup down with a thud, she shuddered and wrapped long slender arms around her equally long body.


Marcus’ brows snapped together. “What are you saying? My life has just begun! I’m sure the Council will choose the perfect Significant for me.” A stream of thoughts flooded his mind. Why can’t she be happy for me? Doesn’t she understand this great honor?


“It’s too bad that the Council chooses for you.” She ran black-tipped fingernails through her vibrant red hair. “Doesn’t it bother you that you have no say in the matter?”


He paused to admire the lean lines of her body and silently thanked the Council for pairing them. Today, Anni’s red hair hung in ringlets and brushed her bare shoulders. A white peasant-style shirt barely covered her perfect breasts, and slim black pants highlighted her long legs.  


“You don’t understand.” He winced, trying hard to hide his irritation. “Obviously, the Council knows what’s best for me. That’s why they’re in control.” He knew she didn’t feel the same way; it bothered him. His voice softened. “Come on. They chose you for my spouse. Doesn’t that say a lot about their wisdom?”

He knew what her response would be, so he allowed her words to float over him like clouds of dust before he waved them away. Annie held a deep contempt for the Council, and Marcus feared that one day they would come for her. What then? He didn’t know. That information was forbidden to share. Marcus hoped that if Anni disappeared, the Council would pair him with another worthy spouse. He was partial to red hair.


She locked her eyes with his. “Do you have any idea who they’ll choose for you?”


Shrugging, he said, “Someone spectacular, I’m sure.” His heart raced as he thought of the Council’s List, which contained names of humans who, throughout the ages, had made an impact—good and bad—on society. He’d never seen the actual list because he didn’t qualify for that honor, but he knew from the whispers of fellow citizens that it included great artists, like Michelangelo, Caravaggio and Rembrandt; and also esteemed scientists, such as Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein and Aristotle. One of his former friends assumed the identity of Ramesses the Great, the third Pharaoh of Nineteenth Dynasty Egypt. He often wondered what happened to him after the scientists completed their studies. His heart quickened. Who will they choose for me?


“Well, in any case, I hope they choose someone artistic,” she said, as if reading his mind. “After all, you’re a sculptor.” Both of their eyes rested on a bronze statue by the door. The Council required every home to display a painting or sculpture of their leader. Marcus kept this particular sculpture because he hadn’t been happy with the eyebrows. He created another one, which now stood in the hallway of the Council’s Headquarters. Besides being chosen, it was another great honor.


“Don’t worry. The Council knows my value. They’ll select a worthy Significant, someone incredible and notable for me to host.” He rubbed his smooth chin; the sensation felt of glass. “I’d like to host a philosopher. Or maybe a poet, like John Keats.”


“Or a novelist.” She smirked. “Like Ray Bradbury. Remember Fahrenheit 451? You could ask him how he knew that books would be censored?”


His creaseless forehead furrowed. “He didn’t know anything. He contributed nothing. Science fiction is garbage. It’s all utterly ridiculous.”


“Many would disagree,” she said.

“Besides, who needs books when we’re taught the correct information by experts?”  


She lifted her eyes to the ceiling. “That’s the problem. These are the Council's experts. It’s not necessarily correct if it’s one-sided.”


“Stop it! If anyone heard you talk like that …” He didn’t need to finish. She knew what he meant.


Anni continued. “Remember my friend, Janielle?” Anni’s perfectly arched brows lifted. “The Council transposed her with an Undesirable from the early twentieth century, a serial killer. The Council might get their thrills by observing these horrible people, but they shouldn’t impose them on a defenseless and unprepared community. What if the Council picks someone like Jack the Ripper or Adolph Hitler?” She paused to catch her breath. “I’ve never agreed with the Council’s program to bring back people, especially the Undesirables, just so they can study them. It’s just another example that shows the Council is evil and doesn’t care about the people.”


Marcus glared. “The Council rarely resurrects Undesirables. And, when they do, they’re transposed into people who hold little value.” He smiled. “Luckily, I hold tremendous value.”


She sniffled. “I'm grateful to have passed age 25 last year, so I’m safe. Otherwise, I would have asked my mother to intervene. She has tremendous influence."

“Your mother?” Marcus frowned. “Are you referring to the robot who raised you?”


“Natalia is my mother, in every sense of the word.” Her voice tightened. “She loves me.” When he didn’t respond, her eyes narrowed. “She’d do anything for me.”


He laughed. “She’s a robot, programmed to act like a mother. She’s an old model, incapable of feeling emotion or—as you put it, love—for anyone.” Her naivety always annoyed him. “It’s surprises me that you view Natalia in such high regard. Frankly, I find her so distasteful that between her and your biological mother, I wished the Council had chosen the latter.” When she remained silent, he added, “And, you know my feelings about biological parents. A greatly flawed and archaic concept.”


Anni stuck her nose in the air. “I would have preferred my biological mother, but I’m quite happy with Natalia.” She glanced around the cluttered kitchen. “I’m tired of talking about this. Marcus, would you please clean up? You know it’s your turn. Please?”


He ignored her pleas. Poor Anni, he thought. She actually thinks her robot loves her. I know better, but she won’t listen. Why is she so naïve? Why didn’t the Council pair me with someone with more intelligence? Someone like me who’s intellectual and sensible. He sighed, pleased that after his transposal, he’d have a break from Anni. But still, he’d miss her. Her rants about their historic freedoms amused him. “Look, Anni. I don’t want to leave when you're angry. I’m sorry about what I said, although I did mean it.”


Anni glanced down at her wristband, which shot out beams of colored light. “You’re not sorry, and speaking of my mother, she’s calling me.” She lifted her wrist, studied the array of lights and smiled. “She wants to see me later. She misses me.” 

 

He rolled his eyes. “I don’t understand you. Most humans disassociate from their bots as soon as they reach legal age. I mean, why keep a relationship? Natalia’s usefulness is over, and she doesn’t love you. She’s playing with you. Trust me. You need to send her back to the Council for reassignment.”


“What?” Her voice, cold and shrill, sent a shiver down his spine. “I don’t care what you say. Natalia does love me. Probably more than you!”


He shook his head, irritated by the knowledge that female humans bonded more easily with their robot mothers than male humans. “Why do you think that, Anni? Her affection is programmed, not real.”


“No! Her love is real, Marcus. I know it. I hear it in her voice, and I see it in her eyes.”


He dismissed her with a wave of his hand. “There’s something wrong with Natalia,” he insisted. “She’s too attached to you. I wonder if her brain circuits need updating.”


Anni’s mouth twitched. “Don’t be ridiculous. She’s fine, except she thinks the Council should’ve chosen someone else for me. She says you’re conceited, selfish and ignorant.”


His eyes flashed, but he decided to hold his tongue. He knew it was useless to argue. Still, what will become of her when he leaves? Will Natalia turn her even more against him? Maybe I should arrange for Natalia to disappear, he thought.


Anni peered at him. “I have to work soon, so please clean up before the end of the day."

“I don’t know when the Council will arrive for me, so you should stay here. With me.” His eyes blazed with desire. “We should pleasure each other before I leave since I don’t know how long I’ll be gone.”


She stood silently, her face expressionless.


“You know, you’re fortunate to have me. Let me remind you why.” He grinned, hoping she’d respond better to his teasing.


Her face remained still. “Fortunate? Why?”

“I’m attractive. I’m intelligent. And, I treat you quite well.”  


“Not when you insult my mother.”


Eager to get off the subject of Natalia, and realizing that she was in no mood for pleasure, he jumped back to their original discussion. “I wonder when the Council will come for me. Frankly, I don’t know what to expect, but I’m sure it’ll be incredible.”


She frowned. “Of course, you do. You’ll be resurrected into someone else. You won’t remember me. I don’t call that incredible.” 


 “I think you’re jealous,” he said.


She tilted her head and studied him. “How many people do you know who have transposed back to their original identity?”


An unfamiliar sensation moved across his chest. Was it fear? “Well, I don’t know.”


“That’s because they terminate the host once the scientists complete their observations.” Anni’s voice rose. “Natalia told me. You’re disposable, Marcus. That’s why they chose you. Don’t you get it?”


“No! You’re wrong! The Council says that the transposal is an opportunity to become someone influential. It’s a huge benefit to society. It’s more than learning about people of historical significance.” He paused. “It’s about living their lives and sharing their knowledge with others in a way that history doesn’t allow. Anyway, Natalia is wrong. I wish you wouldn’t listen to her so much. When I return, I demand she be reassigned and out of our lives.” He caught her eye. “Understand?”


  “How has the transposal benefitted us?” When he didn’t answer, she continued. “You’re sent to live elsewhere, where the Council’s scientists will observe and document your every thought… your every move. When they’ve learned enough, they terminate you, but the Council doesn’t share that with us, now do they?”


The sensation in his chest dropped to his stomach. What if she’s right? What if….? He cleared his throat. “If that were true, people would revolt, wouldn’t they?”


She shook her head. “Everyone, like you, believes that the Council is good, that they care about us, but they don’t. The Council only wants power, and the people have relinquished their freedom to defend themselves. Now, we are at their mercy."

"You're wrong. The Council cares for us."


"Natalia told me that the Council determines each of our worth by age twenty-five. If they decide that you’re expendable, then they use you for transposal. You’re nothing more than an experiment.”


Marcus’ jaw tightened. He resisted the urge to slap her. “I wish you’d stop bringing her up. Besides, how would she know? She’s just a robot.”


“I’m telling you. Natalia knows.” She looked down at her bare feet. “I’m not supposed to tell anyone, but before she became my mother, Natalia served as a Council administrator. She told me that she was one of the robots who selected humans for transposal.”


His voice shook. “First of all, that’s not true. Robots are reprogrammed before reassignment, so they don’t remember anything about their past. There’s no way she’d still have that information. She’s lying to impress you.”


She took his hand and held it to her chest. “I’m sorry, Marcus. I wish things were different. Perhaps if you had a greater function or worth, this wouldn’t have happened. Take cleaning up, for example. You never ...”


 He yanked his hand away. “No offense, but my function and worth are much greater than yours. I’m an artist, and you’re just a … ” He stopped, but it was too late. “I’ll always know more than you.”


“I’m just a what? Go ahead, finish your sentence.”


“You’re just a housing clerk. You assign people places to live. I trained as a sculpture for ten years. How long did you train?”


“I do more than assign housing. I research and analyze data for the commission. Your arrogance has determined your fate, Marcus. Natalia told me …” Her pupils were huge. “Your life is over. I’m sorry.”


Her voice chilled him. “What are you talking about? Natalia told you what?”


“She told me everything last night. That you’d be chosen this morning. That you’re disposable. And that I’ll never see you again. So, you see, you don’t always know more than me.”


Closing his eyes, he resisted the urge to collapse. “You have to help me.”


Anni’s lips parted, but before she could reply, the door slid open. Three council members and the chief scientist entered, followed by a large burly law enforcer.


“Marcus, I’m Representative Hamil, and this is Dr. Wells. It’s time for your transposal. Please come with us.”


Marcus stepped back. “But, I’m not quite ready.” He looked at Anni. “I have questions that need to be answered first.”


“Questions?” Hamil laughed, showing sharp, steel teeth. “That’s funny, Marcus. Let’s go.” He gestured to the other members, and each grabbed one of Marcus’ arms.


Dr. Wells’ eyes shone like black tourmaline.  


“Wait!” Marcus pulled back. “What Significant have you chosen for me?”


“A novelist from the nineteenth century named Ray Bradbury,” Dr. Wells said. “We want to know all about what inspired him to write his works of science fiction. He had incredible foresight of the future. We want to know how he did it.”


“What?” Marcus could barely speak. “No! You can’t do this. Science fiction is garbage. I won’t be a part of it!” He caught Anni’s eyes. “Anni, help me!”


Anni turned away until she could no longer hear Marcus’ pleas for help. She poured another cup of coffee and wandered down the long hallway to her home office; for the remainder of the day, her red head focused on a hologram of data and swirling numbers. The apartment stayed quiet until evening burst through her window in layers of gray and black. She looked up from her work only when the wall communicator buzzed with an incoming call. Natalia’s serene dark face appeared.


“Anni, I’m sorry. I planned to contact you earlier, but I had to fulfill my duties first. Have they taken Marcus?”


“Yes, Natalia. It’s over.” Annie yanked off her pairing ring and tossed it into the wall recycling unit. “They came early this morning.”


Natalia tilted her head. “Your voice registers regret. Are you sorry I spoke to the Council’s Transposal Bot? You know, Marcus wouldn’t have been chosen without my help.”


“No, Natalia. That’s not it.” Anni rose from her seat to watch a flickering star emerge from a web of silent ones. “It’s just that …” her voice trailed away as she bit her lower lip. The flickering star vanished. “I wished they would’ve waited until he cleaned up. The kitchen is a mess, and well, it was his turn.”


April 24, 2020 22:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Amna Ahmad
04:41 May 07, 2020

The story was based on a great idea! Loved the twist at the end.

Reply

C. Weisbecker
21:09 May 07, 2020

Hello Amna Ahmad, thank you for the kind words; I appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:31 May 04, 2020

Great story. The characters and what was going on in the future worked well. The ending was amazing with the robot getting him chosen and Annie upset because the mess was not cleaned up!

Reply

C. Weisbecker
15:00 May 06, 2020

Thank you, Lori Symonsbergen, for your nice comments. I'm so glad you liked the ending!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.