0 comments

Drama

Did you Hear the Clanging?

Looking out the kitchen window hearing the clanging of the horseshoes hitting the pole, Margaret knew she had to hurry to start her gardening. She always liked to cut fresh flowers for the patio table and for the house. There is no better scent than an assortment of a bouquet of roses.

The backyard was tranquil and serine. Flower gardens as far as the eye could see. The scents alone are indescribable. The sound of the majestic waterfall and the perfect view to the horseshoe pit. Who could ask for anything more?

They had many opportunities to sell the house and make an excellent profit however the horseshoe pit that Tom built and will all the beautiful gardens, who would want to start over? They could never even imagine.

 Margaret and Tom were very outgoing and an extremely devoted close couple. Tom played horseshoes every evening after dinner in the backyard for about an hour as it helped him clear his mind and relax. He worked hard and long hours for many years to help get everything they have today. Margaret also put in her time and was an equal partner.

 Meanwhile Margaret attended to her gardens. Tom would toss the shoes and walk back and forth. One reason he played alone is none of his friends could ever beat him. Tom was not a competitor he just enjoyed the sport. Margaret knew when Tom was done playing when the clanging noise of the horseshoes stopped hitting the pole. That was Margaret’s clue to stop, wash up and join her beloved for lemonade. 

They would sit on the patio with fresh cut flowers, have refreshments and listen to the birds as they sang and chirped. The bright red robin went to the bird feeder and shortly after his partner would follow. The blue birds brought the family one evening.  Margaret said “Oh look the Barns are here? Barn owls are known to mate for life, did you know that, Tom? “Sure did, my dear”, said Tom. The Parkers had a love of everything in life, including wildlife.

The couple, since they met, started dating to marriage and having four children did everything together. They worked together, built a home together and raised a wonderful family with love and joy. Though they love their children and grandchildren dearly vacations were essential. Though they loved their home in Connecticut, and after both working more than forty-three years, they agreed four vacations and several getting always were well earned each year after retirement.

During one get away in Vermont at the house Tom and his brothers built to hold all their large families growing up with nine brothers and three sisters the house had to be huge. The house had a little bit of each brother, the deck, the pool, the fish pond, the waterfall, stonewall, turnaround driveway and gazebo. Everything a man could want, well expect one thing was missing.

 Their vision was to have all the families meet up once a year. For a few years all his brothers and sisters would meet up at what they called The Family Manor. As time changed so did life. Time passed and so did his siblings, The house was left to Tom as he was the sole survivor.  He and his family cherished the home and some will admit even more than the Connecticut home they grew up in and which they called Parkers Paradise.

 With the entire family including two daughters their spouses three grandchildren. Two sons their wives and six grandchildren. A blessing as everyone was fit and healthy like them the families met at what they renamed The Bed of Roses, as Margaret over time had over one hundred species. She simply loved roses of all kinds. She hired a gardener to maintain the gardens when she was in Connecticut but they were hers.

The gardener took the best of care as he was a horticulturist.  

After dinner and as the sunset over the valley, Tom sat back with Margaret in the backyard in their comfortable and relaxing chairs of their home away from home.  You could hear the parent getting the baths, the little ones tied yet wanting to stay up, Tom said “Margaret dear, this can’t get much better. We did good in life. A healthy and happy family. Our health and good fortune with two homes it can’t be much better”.

.  

Margaret in her not so often soft and serious voice asked Tom “If you had to change one thing in life what would that be?” Without much hesitation Tom in his serious tone said “Margaret there has been one thing I have regretted since we purchased this home 33 years ago”. Margaret was disturbed but said “yes dear. I'm listening”.  

Tom, sipping on his ice tea said while looking over the beautiful rose garden, wild flower garden and waterfall Tom said “I wish I had put in a horseshoe pit here in Vermont”. Margaret said it’s never too late, have the boys help out. With that said the grandchildren came running over with their pajamas on to get their kisses and hugs good night.  This took time with the brood they have. 

After an enjoyable week with the family, they all headed home. Tom as the driver. Margaret was the one who checked out the yards. Trees and gardens while looking and remembering the little things like Bobby and Billy trying to play catch and the twins making hop scotch on the driveway meanwhile listening in her mind the clanging of the horseshoes.  She wondered if a horseshoe pit in Vermont would make his life complete.

Going to bed a little early one-night Margaret was awakened by that clanging of Tom’s horseshoes. She looked out the kitchen window seeing Tom go back and forth the pits

 As he gave Margaret a gentle way Margaret new Tom may have gone to heaven but he comes to visit his best friend. The love of his life and this is his way of saying I’m always here for you. That sound can be heard weekly around the same time for four weeks until Margaret joined Tom to be together for ever.

June 06, 2021 22:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.