26 comments

Suspense Drama

She’s perfect, really. The curls that cascade around her shoulders, dark as chocolate. Those wide eyes that follow my every movement. That giggle that seems to fill the room with sunlight and strawberries and every other good thing the world has to offer.


“Momma,” she says, “can we go play?”


“Sure, honey.” Honey. I love that word. She’s all the sugary goodness of honey, and more. 


Lydia hops down from the breakfast table and runs to the door, Barkley skidding on the hardwood floor behind her. She laughs and wraps her arms around Barkley’s neck, and his tongue slobbers her cheek.


I smile at them. My happy babies.


She grabs my hand as we walk to the park at the end of the neighborhood, and I try to hold on to the feeling of her soft fingers in mine. They won’t always be there--so I squeeze them, and she laughs.


“Catch, Barkley!” She snags the frisbee from my hands and throws it across the grass. I hold my breath, but it just misses the street, and Barkley catches it before it hits the ground. 


“Good boy!” says Lydia, clapping her hands. Barkley sprints over and drops the frisbee at her feet. 


“Watch the road, honey,” I warn, and she nods before throwing it again.


We take turns tossing, and after ten minutes, Barkley’s lying in the grass, panting hard.


“I think he’s done,” I say, laughing.


“One more, Momma!” she says. She tosses the frisbee with all her might. Barkley just looks at it flying through the air and rolls over onto his back.


I chuckle and kneel to rub his belly, so I don’t notice her running toward the frisbee.


It's on the street.


“Leave it! I got it!” I start to yell when I realize where it’s landed, but there’s no time.


A red truck zooms around the corner. I hear a sickening snap and watch her body disappear under the tires.


And then the truck doesn’t stop. I see the driver look over at me, and familiarity pierces my heart--I know that beard, and that tattoo on the shoulder--but when it bumps over her body, the truck just accelerates and screeches away. 


I’m screaming so loud the earth shatters. I see her body and nothing else, the odd angle of her legs, the blood-soaked dress. Barkley’s going mad beside me as I stumble toward my light, and she’s not moving, and the world is going black black black--


“Miss. Miss, can you hear me?”


Blackness. All I see is blackness. 


“Miss?”


I groan. I’m lying on something soft, and there’s a beeping on my right side.


“Miss, can you open your eyes?”


I groan again and start to squint, adjusting to the light. Two women in white coats peer down at me. The one on the right has very short hair, and the one on the left holds a clipboard.


“I’m Dr. Mary,” says the one on the right. “And this is Dr. Louise. You were in an accident.”


“Lydia,” I rasp. My throat burns when I try to clear it. “Lydia,” I say louder.


Dr. Mary knits her eyebrows while Dr. Louise looks at the clipboard.


“Do you remember anything, Miss?” Dr. Mary asks.


“Lydia.” My voice is louder. Stronger. “Where’s Lydia?”


“I’m afraid we don’t know any Lydia. Let’s just focus on you first, alright?” says Dr. Louise. “Can you tell me your name?”


I cough. “Um--Jess. Jess Hudson.”


Dr. Louise looks at her chart and nods. “Good. Can you tell me where we are, Jess?”


I stare at her. “I--I don’t know.”


She scribbles something on the chart. “Do you remember what happened? Anything at all?”


“There--there was a truck, a red truck…I don’t understand, I saw it hit Lydia, did it hit me too?”


I catch Dr. Louise’s glance at Mary, and feel a lump of panic in my throat. “What?” I croak.


“We have it here that you fell down some stairs and hit your head,” says Dr. Mary. “Were you in this car accident before that?”


I rack my brain, and the panic intensifies when all I can see is Lydia’s body disappearing under the truck. “I don’t know! I can’t--I can’t remember anything!”


A young man walks in suddenly, and I gasp. The beard’s shorter, but there’s that tattoo on his shoulder. It’s an eye, and it stares at me.


“You!” I yell, my throat burning. I half sit up and ignore my screaming muscles.


Dr. Mary shifts so she’s half-blocking my view. “And you are, sir?”


“Danny Hudson,” he says roughly, collapsing into a chair by the foot of the bed. “The husband.”


“No!” I shout. “He’s my--my ex-husband, he killed her, he killed her because I got custody….”


“How many meds did you give her, doc?” snaps Danny, inching the chair closer.


“Stay back!” I shout.


Dr. Mary clears her throat. “Mr. Hudson, I’m going to have to ask you to leave so Jess here can calm down and get used to her bearings.”


He glares at her. “Fine. Just tell me if Lydia’s ok.”


“...Lydia?” Dr. Mary glances at me and I widen my eyes.


“The baby!” he growls, and my mouth falls open. “What?” he snarls at me, and suddenly I want to curl in a ball.


Dr. Mary clears her throat. “All fine, from the ultrasound. Please wait in the lobby.”


He shoots her and Dr. Louise another glare before stalking out of the room.


Dr. Mary looks at me as soon as the doors close. “That’s your husband?”


“I don’t--I don’t understand…” I whimper, feeling my eyes brim with tears.


“You’ve just had a traumatic experience, Jess. Some memory loss is perfectly normal.”


“But I do remember. He hit her...”


“Jess,” said Dr. Mary, lowering her voice. “Are you...safe?”


I stare at her. “What?”


“Well, some of your bruises are fresh, but the ones back here are days old, even weeks.” She touches a spot on the back of my thighs and I wince.


“He killed Lydia,” I whisper. “That’s all I know. He killed her.”


Dr. Mary looks at me hard and lightly touches my stomach. “He didn’t, Jess. She’s there, healthy and safe. She’s fine. And you can both get out of this--this situation. Let me help you.”


“We can’t get out. We can never get out.” I watch the truck ram into Lydia, and her neck snap, and her legs break, and the blood pool below her, and I don’t stop screaming for a long time.


October 08, 2020 23:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Rayhan Hidayat
04:13 Oct 15, 2020

Omg I didn't know you did this nightmare of a prompt as well! So good. Like it really messes with your head, but in a way that makes you keep on reading. Nailed the suspense. And I love the implication that there's no way she can change the future even though it's been shown to her. Morbid, but that's the sort of ending you'd expect from the genre. Also congrats on getting married!! I pray that your partner is a million times better than the one in this story! xD

Reply

Lani Lane
14:24 Oct 18, 2020

Oh my god, this prompt was crazy. Like if you can see your future, can’t you technically not change it? I hate time stories lol. BUT, I’m glad you like this one. :) And thank you!!! My husband (wow, weird to say/type lol) is definitely better than this guy 😂😂😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ray Dyer
17:19 Oct 12, 2020

You've created such an emotional roller coast in this one. The horror at the beginning, followed by the conversation that just leads to an even more intense horror at the end. A lot has been written about the difference between terror and horror, and this story grabs that sense of overwhelming dread that is horror very well. This prompt really caught my interest. I love what you did with it! Your characterization and pacing are spot on. I loved the way the husband behaved; it was so easy to see why he would be the "ex-husband," not jus...

Reply

Lani Lane
18:43 Oct 12, 2020

Ray, thank you so much for your kinds words! I'm so glad you enjoyed this story--I found this prompt to be quite challenging.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lina Oz
18:18 Oct 11, 2020

This is excellently written and very intense. The last line hit hard; I felt so incredibly sad for the main character, although I understand you had to end it that way (also to fit in the prompt's thriller/suspense genre). The descriptions here are fantastic, even grotesque in some cases, which is exactly what I think you were going for. Excellent job as always!

Reply

Lani Lane
20:24 Oct 11, 2020

Thank you so much, Lina!! Appreciate you reading all my stories!! :) I always find thrillers challenging!

Reply

Lina Oz
00:11 Oct 12, 2020

Me, too!! Hoping to practice them more in the future.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Molly Leasure
00:42 Oct 09, 2020

Uhmmmmmmmmmm, I would live in my house and never leave if that's the future I saw for my child. So much nope. We need to look into arresting people for future murders...then he could never commit the act in the first place! ALSO, get this man away from her. I will fight him myself. As for your writing, wonderful as always! You set up the scene so well, and do such a superb job of making us care about the characters. I also love the little bits of foreshadowing, they were so daunting and added such delicious tension to an otherwise adorabl...

Reply

Lani Lane
02:28 Oct 09, 2020

Ok, I think I've gone through and fixed everything, and I'm once again just AMAZED at your editing eye, and so so SO grateful. Thank you Molly!!!! <3

Reply

Molly Leasure
05:48 Oct 09, 2020

Haha! I wish I could do everything right the first time...I usually go back and find that I used random words that were definitely not right...like this one time, I was trying to write a sentence about someone sitting on a bed and I wrote "she sat on the blood." It happens xD. Well, I decided I was going to read them all, so I did xD. The scarier part is that yours wasn't the only one I read, haha!... But I just love your stories so much, I couldn't help myself xD!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lani Lane
02:11 Oct 09, 2020

Oh my god I'm laughing at that mistake, I'm so dumb. XD Clearly, I wanted to give this doctor a lot of attention... And now that I've responded to all your INCREDIBLE comments, I have to actually go through my stories and start fixing all the mistakes....sigh....if only I could do it right the first time.... You're my favorite!!! Thanks for not only reading SEVEN stories in a row, but reading them carefully enough to find fixes!!! You're unreal. :')

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Emmanuel Olaleye
08:53 Oct 15, 2020

This is beautifully written... You kept me reading till the very end.

Reply

Lani Lane
14:21 Oct 18, 2020

Thank you so much, Emmanuel!! 😊

Reply

Emmanuel Olaleye
11:49 Oct 21, 2020

My pleasure Leilani.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:39 Oct 20, 2020

Okay okay....are you, uh, “Ho ho ho, all the Vayd to town”? 🤷🏼‍♀️😏😶

Reply

Emmanuel Olaleye
10:23 Oct 25, 2020

No Cereal. What I meant was she kept my interest on up till the very end.

Reply

12:34 Oct 25, 2020

Oh, lol, never mind, I know, I just thought you were another Reedsy-friend so I asked you about it, using another of my friend’s alias. Guess you’re not Vayd! Sorry!

Reply

Emmanuel Olaleye
19:30 Oct 26, 2020

Oh! Okay. Yes, I'm not Vayd. It's no problem, I can be another of your reedsy-friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
S. Closson
03:29 Oct 10, 2020

Wowww, that was insane! Very creepy story, you did a fantastic job with that prompt. Kudos! At the beginning of the story there was a small typo, the last word is just missing a 'd'. "I hold my breath, but it just misses the street, and Barkley catches it before it hits the groun." I absolutely hate the husband, you did a great job making him unlikeable with your descriptions of him and his behavior, even when you factor out the fact that jerk eventually kills his daughter, the reader can't help but to dislike him. Also, I lo...

Reply

Lani Lane
05:37 Oct 10, 2020

NOOO I'm going to obsess over that missing 'd,' DANG IT. One of these days I'll submit something without a mistake.... Thank you so much, Stephen!! :) I always appreciate your comments, and you taking the time to read my stories!

Reply

Lani Lane
17:50 Oct 11, 2020

Ok, I'm dumb--for some reason I thought you couldn't edit as soon as the contest ended, not until they were officially approved, so I could actually fix it yay!!

Reply

S. Closson
04:03 Oct 12, 2020

That's awesome, I'm glad you were able to get it added!!! There was still a few hours left on the contest timer when I finished reading it, so I was hoping you'd have a chance to see it before it closed. Of course, no problem at all. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
A.Dot Ram
03:05 Oct 10, 2020

Such a good take on this prompt! You built some real suspense.

Reply

Lani Lane
05:36 Oct 10, 2020

Thank you!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:56 Oct 08, 2020

That is very interesting indeed. She saw the death of her child before her child was even born.

Reply

Lani Lane
02:03 Oct 09, 2020

Thanks for reading, Amy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.