Be Brave, Momma

Written in response to: Write about a casual act of bravery.... view prompt

2 comments

Creative Nonfiction

Motherhood is not for the weak of heart. Or mind. Or stomach, for that matter. The amount of bodily fluids you’ll experience in the first months of parenting is shocking, overwhelming, and, frankly, gross. My husband and I quickly learned to take our son’s rectal temperature in the bathtub whenever possible due to the fount of projectile, liquid poop that would come out along with the thermometer.

Too much? Like I said, not for the weak of stomach.

It’s an act of bravery to put your child to sleep for the first time. Then for the first time in their own room. Then for the first time in a big kid bed. And each night in between can take its own level of courage. 

It’s scary to leave them on their own for that long chunk of time, knowing that you’ll be asleep, too. Will I wake up if he cries? What if she needs me but she doesn’t cry? How will I know?

Oh, you’ll know. Your body will be so alert and immediately attuned to this new person in your home. So much so that you won’t sleep properly for months. No, years. Not for years if I’m being honest.

But you’re brave. And you put them to bed because sleep is a life skill. And it’s your job to teach these life skills. 

You’ll be brave in the morning, even if you didn’t get much sleep, when your daughter decides she’s done doing her booty-scoot crawl and is ready to stand and cruise along the couch. You’ll nervously watch and hope she doesn’t fall, but you know she’ll fall, everyone does. But you stay brave and let her fall.

You’ll stay strong when your heart breaks because she cries when she falls. Of course she cries. And you could have stopped her from falling. You should have. But, should you have? How would she learn if you always stopped her from falling? 

You were brave. You let her fall. You comforted her. And within a minute she’s fine… and back to cruising. The excitement is just too much to resist. You smile. She’s brave, too.

Do these moments seem too small? Like they aren’t true acts of bravery?

What about when you send your son off to school for the first time? Sure, he’s been going to daycare, and he loves that and he’s always eager to tell you about his day and of course there were rocky drop offs where you probably cried in the car for longer than he cried in the classroom. But this is real school - kindergarten.

And now you’re entrusting him to a whole school system and all the good and bad that comes with that. And of course he’ll make friends, but kids seem to get meaner as they get older. Will he be bullied? Who will he tell if he is bullied? Will he stand up for himself? Should you stand up for him?

Be brave. Find what you can trust and know that you’ll question the rest.

Still not enough? Not true moments of bravery?

A wise person once said, “little kids, little problems; big kids, big problems.” Your bravery will continue to grow as you and your kids grow. It will be forced to grow, there’s no way around it.

With little kids, when you step back and look at the big picture, so many of their problems seem just like a hassle, an annoyance, a speed bump on what would have been a smooth day. Potty training, temper tantrums, messes and spills, cutting their own bangs.

But as they get bigger… attitude, friend drama, “the talk” and all that brings with it, choosing a college, trouble with a capital T in the form of drugs, drinking, or petty crimes. See how insignificant potty training looks now?

Find your brave face and translate that look into your mind and heart. It’s impossible to have all the answers. Things will happen and you’ll figure them out. With as much courage as you can muster.

And what about the days when you don’t feel needed? When they’re finding themselves and independence? Yep, still takes bravery.

It’s a time to look and try to remember… who was I before kids? What did I do with all my free time? Have courage to find yourself again, to do things for you, because they bring you joy. You’re no longer tied to your kids and their schedules. Be brave and be you, the you you want to be.

So be brave, momma. You are a superhero of the stroller. A heroine of the high chair. A mother, through and through.

That’s all I have in me. It’s been a tough day. I need to accept this words as truth for myself today and bravely face my current situation. So, I’m creating. I’m “lorem ipsum”ing my way to the minimum word count. But I’m counting this as a win. I recently made a commitment to write a short story each week through these prompts, and I did. It just might have been a bit shorter this week.

elit pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas integer eget aliquet nibh praesent tristique magna sit amet purus gravida quis blandit turpis cursus in hac habitasse platea dictumst quisque sagittis purus sit amet volutpat consequat mauris nunc congue nisi vitae suscipit tellus mauris a diam maecenas sed enim ut sem viverra aliquet eget sit amet tellus cras adipiscing enim eu turpis egestas pretium aenean pharetra magna ac placerat vestibulum lectus mauris ultrices eros in cursus turpis massa tincidunt dui ut ornare lectus sit amet est placerat in egestas erat imperdiet sed euismod nisi porta lorem mollis aliquam ut porttitor leo a diam sollicitudin tempor id eu nisl nunc mi ipsum faucibus vitae aliquet nec ullamcorper sit amet risus nullam eget felis eget nunc lobortis mattis aliquam faucibus purus in massa tempor nec feugiat nisl pretium fusce id velit ut tortor pretium viverra suspendisse potenti nullam ac tortor vitae purus faucibus ornare suspendisse sed nisi lacus sed viverra tellus in hac habitasse platea dictumst vestibulum rhoncus est pellentesque elit ullamcorper dignissim cras tincidunt lobortis feugiat vivamus at augue eget arcu dictum varius duis at consectetur lorem donec massa sapien faucibus et molestie ac feugiat sed lectus vestibulum mattis ullamcorper velit sed ullamcorper morbi tincidunt ornare massa eget egestas purus viverra accumsan in nisl nisi scelerisque eu ultrices vitae auctor eu augue ut lectus arcu bibendum at varius vel pharetra vel turpis nunc eget lorem dolor sed viverra ipsum nunc aliquet bibendum enim facilisis gravida neque convallis a cras semper auctor neque vitae tempus quam pellentesque nec nam aliquam sem et tortor consequat id porta nibh venenatis cras sed felis eget velit aliquet sagittis id consectetur purus ut faucibus pulvinar elementum integer enim neque volutpat ac tincidunt vitae semper quis lectus nulla at volutpat diam ut

March 04, 2022 22:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Francis Daisy
00:23 Mar 30, 2022

Never were there more truer words spoken: A wise person once said, “little kids, little problems; big kids, big problems.” Your bravery will continue to grow as you and your kids grow. It will be forced to grow, there’s no way around it. Parenthood is NOT for the weak. Well done. Congratulations. You are very brave.

Reply

20:41 Mar 30, 2022

Thanks for reading this one, too, Francis! This was a tough day for me to get any writing done, so I was proud I got some words and thoughts out of my head and onto the page.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.