0 comments

Fiction Romance


“How about we invest the money intended for Green Owl into building the architecture for our writing hub?” 

“No. We should use the space that we already have for a smaller scale presentation of our idea, and then if the investors like it, then we start investing more money” Sukayna – who was her only interlocutor in a meeting of twelve people – flipped the pen through her fingers, and gave a sarcastic smile to Marwa’s reply. 

Managing not to throw the pen right between her eyes, Sukayna says 

“Our project involves a lot of people, therefore we need a lot of space. If they are to give us money, we have to make them interested. In order to make them interested, we need to present it in the right place, and for that we need money. If we present it in some stinky room with outdated equipment, they will not take us seriously”

No one in the room wanted to take part in their back and forth.

“We do have to present it in the right place, but without wasting money. Once we get a pass and their money, then we start building everything else.

We do not have the luxury to throw all of our money into one project.” Marwa

“I am not saying that. 

In order that we grasp our idea, we have to put ourselves in the actual space as we have imagined it. We have to make it real and give ourselves a chance to think of this as something real, not something that we merely dream about. 

In order to create such a space, we have to experiment. For that, we need money. Think about the possibilities if we make this work. It will be a place of inspiration.

Would you not want to invest money into a place that would inspire you, Marwa?” 

The words of disagreement were ready to catapult from Marwa’s already opened mouth, only to be precluded by their colleague Stanimirka.

“Okay guys, thank you for the lovely debate” Sukayna, nor Marwa were taking their eyes off each other. Sukayna still flipped the pen through her fingers. 

Marwa was aware of that pen. It was a sharp-looking pen, and if she flipped it so effortlessly, it was smart to assume her throwing skills were on point as well. 

Who spent that much time practicing flipping the pen? Only people who had nothing to do. She definitely gets bored often. 

Smart of her to keep an eye on this pen. I do have the urge to stick it between her eyes. Sukayna gives her another sarcastic smile. 

“How about the two of you go, and explore the spaces that could serve as the potential location for our presentation?” 

Sukayna stops flipping the pen, blinks a few times, re-straightens her posture, and moves her gaze to Stanimirka.

“Have you been drinking? You propose that me, and her, look for space?”

“The rest of us will set a date for the meeting with the investors, while the two of you do the most important part?” 

“I could not agree more” Mlađen says

“Even though you guys have your disagreements, you came to this very idea through an identical conversation as this one. I am sure that by working together, you two will do the best job” 

“I completely, and wholeheartedly agree” Stanimirka affirms

Short frustrated laughter comes out of Marwa “Well, I completely and wholeheartedly disagree. You cannot be serious” 

“Guys, how about you give the three of us some space” Stanimirka asks 

Tomislavka knew Sukayna and Marwa from university. She was used to their constant disagreeing. 

“Your disagreements are your own, and I do not mean to go into that. But, but a big fucking but, you have to work together. Differences of opinions create societies… progressive societies. 

All of us tolerate your back-and-forths because we know how much we learn from your interactions. The way this place is, and the way we all are is a great deal because you two disagree. Your disagreements produce ideas. The two of you have grown through these very disagreements. Therefore, you need the disagreeing energy of the other to create, to improve.” 

Sukayna respected Stanimirka, but right now she irrationally hated everything that came out of her mouth. 

“Think this way of your short-term partnership. By getting to be alone, you will get to disagree more, but there won't be anyone to interfere. Thus, that will give you the chance to go into the undiscovered depths of your arguments, and surely, you will come to greater discoveries and ideas.'' 

The elevator was taking them down to the parking lot. It was a tall building, which meant long elevator rides. 

A mirror inside the elevator. Each had to tolerate the faces they had grown not to tolerate. 

The elevator smelled of their mixed fragrances. 

Sukayna breathes in, and she was glad that people still did not have the ability to read each other’s minds, as Marwa would find out that Sukayna liked her perfume. 

Too strong for my taste. Too sweet. Too… bleh. Everything about her is too this too that. I wonder if she can smell me. I smell good, besides, everyone else affirms it. That being the definition of truth, that means the truth is I smell good. She smells…okay. She would have smelled better if it was not her who was wearing it. She could not bring herself to think that Sukayna could pull that off. It's fine… She cannot read my mind.

For a split second, they look at each other. 

I wish I had brought that pen with me. 

She probably wishes she brought that pen with her. 

Ding. The doors of the elevator open. They attempt to exit the elevator at the same time. The space to exit was not designed for two people exiting at the same time.

They go back into the elevator. Each following step towards the door was taken expecting the other to wait. 

They look at each other offended. 

“Rock, paper, scissors, so we can determine who exits first” Sukayna proposes. 

“Really? Surely there must be another way where we solve this?”

“Do you have any other way?”

Sukayna plays scissors and Marwa paper. 

“Scissor cuts paper. I win. Move” Marwa waits, and Sukayna exits.

They were now in the parking lot. 

The beeps of their cars are heard at the opposite ends of the garage. They look at each other. 

“I thought we were going with my car” Sukayna says. 

“I thought the same thing” Marwa

“What kind of car do you have?” Sukayna asks. 

“Tesla” 

“I don't like them”

“What?! They are the cars of the future” 

“They make me claustrophobic”

Marwa rolls her eyes at her. 

“What kind of car do you have?” 

“Mercedes” 

“Oh my God” 

“What?” Sukayna growls. 

“Doesn't that car pollute the enviroment, and you have to fill it up every five miles?”

“No, because it is EQC”

“Oh… Well, mine is smarter” Marwa persists.

“Do you want to make me claustrophobic?” S

“No” M

“Then let's go with mine” S

“But next time, we go with mine” M

“Sure, with the window opened, or I will suffocate” S

I am luxury, the car almost seemed to whisper in a sophisticated voice. 

Crazy display, as if they were in an airplane, thick leather seats from whose comfortableness Marwa’s scoliosis might disappear, the leather seemed to be so refined, that it might have been more expensive than the leather that covered Marwa’s body. 

Daydreaming, she caught herself a few times raising her hand to wave at the commoners.  

Were more people turning their heads than usual? Am I manipulated by the luxuriousness of this car, that I am thinking all of this bullshit? I know shit about cars. 

Sukayna had her sunglasses on, accompanied by jet-black everything. It suited her. Marwa almost wanted to bite her tongue for merely thinking that.

Looking at the navigation, Sukayna asks

“Where are we going?” 

“To a building, whose floor we are to check out”

Not enjoying the silence, Marwa asks “Can we listen to some music?” 

Marwa is surprised to see that Sukayna was using her fingers to play music, rather than her mind.

Vivaldi comes on.

“Oh my God” 

“What”

“I do not want to listen to Vivaldi right now” 

“What is wrong with Vivaldi?”

“Nothing, but can we not listen to Vivaldi while we drive?”

While we drive? I am the one driving” 

“I meant…”Marwa rolls her eyes

“I listen to Vivaldi on other occasions, but not in a car. It does not seem right” 

“What do you want then?” 

“Well, we are in your car, can we at least listen to my music?” 

Sukayna hated it when Marwa made sense. 

For a few seconds, Marwa tried to command the car to play the music with her mind. Nothing. 

Marwa’s music comes on. 

A long instrumental intro. After a few minutes, a deep and powerful voice emerges from the speakers. A familiar voice.

With silent singing, Marwa lets her body merge with the seat, and allows her eyes to close. 

As Sukayna stares at her, Marwa as if a sorceress, says “Keep your eyes on the road” 

Sukayna embarrassed, moves her gaze back to the road. 

A voice lost in Sukayna’s memory. 

“Is this the fourth pyramid of Egypt?”

Marwa surprised opens her eyes “You know Umm Kulthum?”

Umm Kulthum… For how long she did not hear that name. 

“Yes. I do”

“How?”

“From my family”

“I see. Do you listen to her?” 

“No. This is the first time I have listened to her in years. I recognized her voice, but I could not remember her name” 

“Aha” 

As time passes, and each becomes more comfortable in the ride, Sukayna finds herself singing, but so silently, that it was almost unnoticeable. 

“You would not find yourself singing with Vivaldi, am I right?”

“I would find myself humming

“But, it would not evoke a long lost memory”

“Do you want me to applaud you for choosing the right music?”

“Well, yes”

“You are so annoying”

“Make a turn here, do not miss it”

Marwa points with her small hand.

“Move that hand, or I will break you” Sukayna replies.

Marwa looks at her with a devilish grin and says “Are you Arab?”

Sukayna somehow manages not to laugh at that. What made Marwa think she was an Arab was not knowledge of Umm Kulthum, but the threat. 

“It's complicated” 

Marwa wanted to proceed with more questions but stopped. 

Upon arriving at the location, Marwa entered the elevator first. Sukayna was getting stuff from her car, and Marwa could not find any patience with her “Come on, I can’t keep this door open forever!” 

Sukayna rushed, which turned into running, and with her long and thick hair now let loose, Marwa was slapped by the wave of Sukayna’s perfume. She smelled so good. This time, she could not restrain herself from thinking that. The truth was that Sukayna smelled good. 

Sukayna looked at her and reached her arm over Marwa to press the button. She kept looking her in the eyes. “This is how the elevator works. You have to press the button. The things that stick out with a shape of a circle” She was even closer, and she could breathe in the perfume even better. She was at a moment lost, her strong-mindedness, her determination shaken. Turned off. 

Upon recollecting herself, she noticed that Sukayna was texting someone, and Marwa wondered who. She wondered what her taste was like. Did she also listen to Vivaldi while taking someone’s clothes off? 

That made her laugh out loud, and Sukayna looked at her. Then she looked at herself in the mirror. Why everything that she did, or thought, has to be about me? Sukayna’s feeling of being overly concerned with what Marwa thought was concerning.  

“Care to share the funny?” 

Marwa was embarrassed but still laughed. 

“It's something that I remembered that happened to me a while ago. Its…uhmm” 

When the doors of the elevator opened, Marwa showed Sukayna the way

“Well, thank you” 

Marwa tried to imitate moans and Vivaldi's summer, and Sukayna weirded out, decided to ignore her. 

As soon as they entered the place, Sukayna will not like this raced through Marwa’s mind. 

“This sucks” Sukayna immediately proclaims.

“Small, secluded, and unbreathable. We want to create a space where people will not feel lethargic, depressed, and pale. A space where people will be inspired to create, and will inspire others. This sewer of a place will not do the job” 

“We can work on it a bit, but we cannot overspend. You can get inspiration wherever” 

“In a wherever place that smells of…” Sukayna sniffs “of mold, and dust? Would you be inspired if someone threw you in a garbage can?” 

“I would if I knew that by being in a garbage can, I will get to end up in a villa. Before you get to make a tiramisu, you will have to make and eat a lot of shitty cake ” 

“What if you are not strong enough, and do not have the perseverance to make enough shitty cakes to learn from the process, and finally make tiramisu? People who will get to be here are not veterans who have been through thick and thin. They are young people who need the extra push. This garbage can will be discouraging, rather than inspiring”

Marwa sighs “I do not propose that we leave it like this, we have to renovate it. But…”

“Renovation will demand more money than what I am proposing. Let's find a new building, with a higher rent, but for a higher rent we will get functioning pipes, heating, natural light, etc” 

“What are you talking about? This building is fine” As Marwa says, a part of the ceiling falls down onto the floor. 

Sukayna looks at her with the look admit that you are wrong. 

As she had come closer to Marwa, she smelled stronger, but her perfume had mixed with her deodorant. Was she sweating? She must have been all fired up for this argument. Her scent was not bad. Marwa wondered if hers was as good. 

With a faint smile, knowing she checked mated her, Sukayna says “I am thirsty”

They found themselves in a bar. It was an exhausting day of disagreeing. 

Sukayna ordered whiskey, and Marwa ordered wine. 

“Why do you drink that? Are you a man?” Marwa asks

“Well, wine makes my stomach go bad. This does not”

“You never told me if you are an Arab” 

“I am. I know Umm Kulthum from my grandparents. When they died, they left me the vinyl they collected” She gulps a big gulp of whiskey. 

“Why don’t you listen to her then? You did enjoy her today”

She was a bit tipsy, and she did not have the energy to fight her off. It irritated her, that besides smelling good, Marwa was pretty, with that messy hair one gets from a long day, and the half-unbuttoned shirt. White looked good on her. What didn’t? 

She takes another gulp. 

“My grandparents had a shared love for her music. When they listened to her, they listened to it together. When I do it myself, it makes me sad for not having the other half to enjoy it with me”

For the first time, Marwa listened to her without the need to speak in order to refute her. She only listened. 

“You will be okay” Marwa says, and almost taps her on the back. Sukayna noticed that.

“You find me so disgusting that you cannot even touch me?”

“I actually find you beautiful. You smell good” Marwa regretted that as soon as she said it, and hoped that Sukayna would forget it. 

Sukayna puts on that faint smile of hers. 

“Take me home, I cannot drive”

***

Their days searching for the perfect space that will be converted into a writing hub for young and aspiring writers, were not different than the one described. Sukayna continued disliking the Tesla, and Marwa always found something new to be impressed by in the Mercedes. 

Through it they discovered that Sukayna loved coffee and Marwa tea. 

When Marwa visited Sukayna’s place, she learned that shoes inside were not allowed. 

Marwa had a cat, while Sukayna had no need for a purring companion until Sukayna found herself moving from a couch so it could sleep in peace. 

Each back and forth was enjoyable and frustrating, and each led to a self-discovery, and discovery of one another. 

The need to refute the other was so strong, that it was to be found even in the smallest of things. Why was coffee better than tea? Why a catless life was better than a cat one? 

In order to prove that their opinion was superior, they started researching about their own interests. Why were they so fascinated by things they were fascinated by? 

Each conflict carried exhaustion with it, which would produce emphasized display of emotions. But, each conflict carried more newly discovered smiles, expressions, and smells. 

They would find themselves hanging out at each other’s places, rather than at public ones. They would also find themselves sharing a couch – with a thin pillow separating them – instead of sitting across each other. 

After another exhausting day of failed negotiations, Sukayna found herself in the claustrophobic Tesla in front of her house. 

She did not want to part from Marwa, she still wanted to hear how wrong she was about almost everything. But, she also wanted to hear her talk. Hear her voice. Hear her sing. Discover something new. Discover another tiny event from her life that made her wrong about something. 

Gathering the courage, she says “Do you want to come inside, and listen to Umm Kulthum? With me?”

It was a night of disagreeing, music, unbuttoned shirts, and fragrances. 




February 03, 2023 01:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.