0 comments

Creative Nonfiction Drama Thriller

No more can fit into the car - who knew a couple could pack so much for a road trip! "Mary, are you ready yet - we gotta get on the road!" her husband Cole yelled up to her. Mary sighs as she sips up the last piece of luggage. "I will be right down - just got my last piece packed!" She loads up a tote bag with all the essentials for the road (hand sanitizer, wipes, gloves, masks and garbage bags), among other things. It is a "Summer COVID-19 Road Trip" after all.

Cole puts the last bag in the trunk and preps the GPS for the trip. “Off we go where we end up for the night nobody knows!” Cole exclaims as they hit the open road. Mary gives him a look of “you know very well we are staying tonight.”  The cottage is booked a rental place for the night in Brooksfield - which they should reach by about 7:30 pm tonight. 

They stop after a few hours of driving to gas up and a bathroom run. Both mask up and glove up before entering the gas station.  When they get back in the car, Cole says, "I never thought I would see the day we would need to mask and glove up - for a road trip pit stop." Mary shakes her in agreement and says, "Times are different now and will be from now on." 

Cole and Mary reach their cottage rental "Coconut Haven" pull into the parking lot - which is unseasonably quiet.  As they enter the cottage rental office, they see all of the COVID-19 protocol signs and warnings. They approach the office desk window, and a couple meets them at the window. "Good evening - you must be the Reynolds," the husband says as he checks the guest book. "Yes," Mary says as she and Cole get out their identifications and payment information. "I am Hank Motts, and this is my wife Cindy - we are the owners of Coconut Haven, and we are so pleased that you chose to stay with us," he verifies their check-in information and takes key number three down from its hook.  "My wife and I are pleased to meet the owners. You have a very nice place," as Cole says this, he takes the keys from Hank Motts.   "Thank you; we aim to provide a welcoming and peaceful environment for our guests. Let us know if you two need anything at all," both bid Cole and Mary a good night - and remind them that they can check out anytime tomorrow - since the cottage is not booked for another week or so.

Cole and Mary collapse onto the bed as soon as - they put their overnight bags down. "I forgot how tired you get driving long distances," Cole remarks as he puts his arm behind his head on the pillow. He glances over to Mary's side of the bed only to see that she has fallen off to sleep. Cole gets up and gets ready for a night's rest, and eventually, Mary gets up and does the same. He sets his alarm on his phone, so they can get up at a decent time to get on the road again.

Mary is up before the alarm and makes a coffee for herself and Cole. "Honey, I am going to go and see what they have for the complimentary breakfast - I won't be long," as she leaves the cottage, "she sees something strange a police cruiser. As she approaches, she makes sure her mask is on properly and is about to go up the stairs to the cottage office - she stops in her tracks.  Two policemen are standing at the entrance to the office. Mary looks up at the officers and asks, "Officers did something happen - is there something wrong??" when the Motts see her, they let the officers know they are the other guests staying in the cottages.  "Miss, yes, something has happened - it seems you and your husband are not going to be able to travel any further for the next while," as the officer relays the information - through his face mask - a horrible feeling of dread washes over her.

Mary blurts out, "The WWIII - Variant has made it over the border…hasn't it??" The officers look at Mary and shake their heads.  "We have already explained to the Mott's that all guests will have to lock down here until further notice from the Health Advisory Board," the officers leave information with the Motts for themselves and the guests - and their cards if they are needed. Mary rushes back to their cottage to break the news to Cole - but he already knows - his phone began to blow up about five minutes after she went to the office. "Cole - what are we going to do - this variant, if you catch it, can kill you within 24 hours!!!" Mary is hysterical and starts to pace back and forth. 

The Mott's call their room and assure them they will be well cared for while in this lock-down. "We have all been vaccinated - two dosed - which is mandatory - for all guests as you know - and any owners of a business," Hank Motts stresses for them to stay hopeful. Cole and Mary go out to their car and bring in the remainder of their luggage. "How can we stay hopeful - if the variant makes it here, we don't know if the two doses will protect us!" Mary's eyes well up, and tears begin to stream down her face. Cole takes her in his arms to comfort her, "Honey, as long as we stay put, we should be able to avoid being exposed - to the variant." Mary buries her head in Cole's chest, "You are probably right - we need to stay put and try to enjoy our now stay-cation."

Supper is served up at the cottage office to choose fish and chips or fish chowder and cheese biscuits - choice of beverage and dessert (strawberry shortcake or apple turner overs and vanilla ice cream). After supper, Cole and Mary go for a walk on the grounds down a trail marked "Paradise Trail" it is peaceful, and the night is clear and calm. The moon is complete, and all the stars are out and shining like diamonds. "Isn't it a beautiful evening, Cole?" Mary says, reaching out for his hand. 

The air is so calm and still - it would be a shame to disturb such a quiet night. All of a sudden, a siren pierces the air. "It is the early warning system Mary - the WWIII - Variant is now loose - and has spread in the community!" Cole grabs Mary's hand and starts to run to the cottage office - the Motts are already outside standing on the steps - along with the other two couples staying in the cottages. Hank Motts - turns to face everyone to make an announcement, " As you all know that is if it were to come to this scenario - we are to take whatever stand we need to - to protect ourselves - we all have our disaster packs - God help us all."

June 25, 2021 01:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.