Underground Gothlings

Submitted into Contest #55 in response to: Write a story about a meeting of a secret society.... view prompt

1 comment

Mystery

The best way we express our uniqueness of individuality, fashion, and expression of art or freedom is through culture. The culture of goths, mostly are retorted as "emo" or "depressed;" however, wearing mainly dark fashion does not always mean that you are a lost soul so to say. Many gothlings gather and listen to music, yet during 'these times' aka pandemic, the world has become more depressed literally, and it sometimes seems as though the small towns are being discriminated against for going "Footloose." Not only are the people being discriminated against and judged for their desire to meet with family and friends, but also, their livelihoods are being threatened (if you go out you will get sick and die, or if you gather with more than ten individuals, you will get sick or die).

A great threat has been placed on every single American's livelihood due to the pandemic leading our souls into the next Great Depression. Businesses are shut down, and boarded up; many people are threatened and harassed by police for just going to the grocery store, or trying to survive.

Expression of freedom is going wherever you want, whenever you want with no restrictions. Lately, a capita on social gatherings has been enforced by the government and by law enforcement; it is quite creepy, saddening, and disturbing to see the human population get herded and harassed. Many families in the service industry are no longer allowed to work because many small businesses, as well as, restaurants have been forced to close due to the new restrictions on ~51% capacity. What would you do if someone threatened to steal half of your business, and cause extreme reduction of your guests, clients, or customers?

Gothlings used to gather at undergound nightclubs, graveyards, bookstores, and cafes much like many other cultures. Due to the pandemic; all individuals have been dispersed, and are no longer allowed to fight to survive. In our darkest hours, the brilliance of the internet arose. Zoom and Twitch are platforms that made socializing with your friends, family members, and other culture folk possible. We are allowed to share our music, thoughts, and ideas, because of the internet and social networking platforms. So many threats have occurred that only intend for the separation of human contact in order to prevent the spread of a virus, yet communities that do not have restrictions have less illness cases than cultures that are forced to separate. Goth culture already has a stereotype of isolated depressed individuals, but that is not true; actually, every American has been forced to be isolated or 'quarantine due to the pandemic' which is in all actuality 'absolute rubbish.'

The best way to survive and thrive is through supporting each other instead of a total threat of survival of the fittest, or survival of the riches. We all desire equal opportunity and nondiscrimination, but many individuals have experiences some form of outcasting.

Underground gothling party shall always remain a treasure for The Secret Society of Goths. Popular music includes: industrial, cyberpunk, and deathrocker. Whether the meetings are at home, through Zoom and Twitch, the gothlings prevail! Our music, styles, and general care for one another has brought our culture slightly closer when we were forced to separate.

Many Americans are experiencing financial struggles, and health problems whether it be from the virus, or not being able to go to work or go to the gym because of new vindictive mandates. This is not a proper way of living; and I would like to get elevated, as well as, focus on progress instead of digression of culture(s).

There has been a great uproar of violence in the streets, due to the system not allowing its citizens to survive, as well as, the massive herding and harassment of police brutality on its own citizens. Amidst this chaos and confusion, the music scene prevailed! Designers continued to create fashion! And our freedom has been restrained! WE as The Secret Society of Goths deserve to support one another, meet and greet, create, and jam the flipping hell out! The discos have been absolutely destroyed by the new provisions. In a sense it seems the businesses might just be on strike. One of the most fabulous gatherings by the gothlings began in a quaint suburban neighborhood. Wicked music played indoors and outdoors! Fabulous desserts and beverages were created. Also, the dress code was strictly baroque avant garde or WILD entertainer, no casual or clean cut dress code was allowed! It was simply NO costume NO entry! Many gothlings busted a move or got groovy. The heat from the dancing became ecstatic then everyone jumped into the pool. People were swimming and splashing, or singing to their favorite goth DJ song! Many hearts joined in the flow of the music, and all the gothlings' sadness went away. If you see the photos of the gothlings from the underground parties many souls put an extreme effort into their style, designs, and music creations. None would fit the category of depressed or emo from the pure joy of being able to connect through music, dance, and fashion! The Secret Society of Goths and all of its creatures shall prevail! Our survival and expression of individuality through freedom makes our culture stronger, and less stereotypical. When the gothlings play games, dance, and create, our souls are never lost and never depressed; we always feel like we belong, and the ability to share these concepts of art, design, and music through social media has allowed us to not feel as isolated.

Hopefully, the extreme public harassment of policing crowds larger than ten people, or cutting businesses off more than half their business expenditure will STOP. A strange, yet wise gypsy character told me, "humans are social creatures," he also indicated that without social interactions or engagements people will go crazy, or even start harming one another. That is a rather obscure concept; however, I have seen people act more grotesque towards one another while forced to not communicate with their family, friends, and cultured folk. That is depressing, not goth culture; Goth Culture is welcoming for those that enjoy similar music taste, and desire to express their unique fashion designs without being judged. Freedom in gathering though secret societies will open a new wave of marvelous designs, rad art, and glorious music.   

August 18, 2020 15:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Rosalind Minett
12:17 Aug 23, 2020

You have been thoughtful and creative in your ideas. One or two awkward or incorrect use of words: ...people act more grotesque towards one another while forced to not communicate. Just a bit more work on the plot and this would be fine.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.