0 comments

Fantasy

Third POV

Kaze is training with her teacher, and the entrance exams for the school of heroes are soon. She has been told since she was a child that she will never be able to be a hero. She was born blind, and her other senses are strong thanks to her blindness. She had been training for ten months to get into shape to fight, whatever they fight in the exams. Her teacher had told her having short hair would be better to fight with.

Kaze's POV

"You should cut your hair, it wouldn't be in the way anymore," Sensei says.

"I will cut most of my hair. I have to keep some of it long for my brother. That was the last thing he said to me before he disappeared," I tell him. I leave the Dojo to get some dinner before going home. As I was walking down the path. I suddenly hear explosions. I follow the sound until I hit someone's foot with my cane.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"Some kid is getting attacked, and she is causing a mess." what sounds like an older man says. I am not 100% blind I can see blurry silhouettes. I pull my glasses off and see the bright light of the fire and the struggling people in front of me. I start to move forwards without thinking. I hear the heroes yelling out at me but I want to help the kid.

"I place my hand on the kid's shoulder, you need help kiddo?" I ask.

"WHAT? You're crazy how can you help me?" The kid asked scarred. I take my walking stick and ask the kid to tell me what side the villain is on. 

"The left. How is this going to help?" The kid says. I swing my walking stick and hit the villain in the eye, I hear his shriek of pain. I feel someone pull on my hair. I turn around and feel that I hit someone's arm. I use my walking stick to feel where the kid is and I pull them out of the grip of the villain. I hear a hear yell and suddenly there is a large gust of wind. My power is lightweight. I have to wear shoes made out of heavy materials. I get put down by someone. I feel around for the kid.

"Hey. Are you okay? Sorry if I wasn't much help." I tell them. I feel someone hug me that's when I felt the blood run down my forehead. I suddenly feel drowsy and faint in the person's arms.

I wake up and I hear a heart rate monitor, I open my eyes and see shadows of people all around me. A small hand grabs mine and I look over at the person.

"She's awake, Riki comes here" the person yells. After some explaining, I apologize for my foolish actions. By the time of the exams, I have gotten the okay to participate. I run down the walkways of the exams, and I feel the vibrations of the robots that are around. I unbuckle my boots and float to the robot just to feel a strong heat hit my arm. Some person yells at me for going for their bot. The ground suddenly starts to shake. I use my cane to grab my shoes and put them on. I hear someone calling for help. I Turn around and run towards the loud noises. I felt around and get under the rubble and touched it with the pad that is on my hand to make it float. After I touched the rubble, it went flying up and up hitting the robot in the face. I hear the siren that the exam is over. I help the person up, I hear an old lady come and take the person from me. About a week later, I get my letter holding my results. I listen to it and learn I got in the top class, and I'm allowed to come to the school to learn my way around so I don't have to worry about my walking stick. The first day I go there I was directed around the school by my homeroom teacher, Mr Adams. He also helped me design my suit, I was having to get my headgear fitted. I'm allowed to wear it whenever. It connects to my cheekbone and goes past my ears a little. It also has a neckpiece, if I overuse my support items my eyes can bleed a little I'll cough up some blood. My parents weren't too happy about this at first but after a couple of meetings, they okayed it. When the first day arrived, I was putting my gear on. I only use it when I walk to school or training. Shortly after getting into the building, I was bumped into, the person starts to apologize but when I turned around, I saw this girl with black hair, she also had what looked like spider arms or legs on her back. Next to her was a girl with messy lime hair.

"Oh, it's fine. Are you guys lost? Sorry I was listening in on your conversation a little." said

"Oh, yeah. We are in class 1-H." The girl with Black hair said.

"I'm also in that class, My name is Kaze," I say, I closed my eyes and my headset went into sleep mode.

"Whoa, Your power is so cool you have colour changing robot parts," The girl with green hair said.

"It's actually my support items, my power is lightweight," I say.

"Sorry, I'm Charlie." The greenette says. 

"I'm Scout," Says the blackette. We walk to class and sit in our seats. When I got to my seat, I pulled out my recorder to be able to listen to the lesson later on. I can tell someone walked over to my desk.

"You need to put your phone away, that is very disrespectful to the teacher," the person said, they must have been moving their arm because the air was moving. The teacher walked in and told us to grab the uniforms he just put on his desk. He grabbed one and put it on my desk.

"One of you girls will you help Kaze to the locker room and help change." Mr Adams said. Scout and Charlie volunteered to help me. Once we got to the locker room I started to remove my support items so I can change.

"OH, what is with your skin. It's so discoloured." Someone yelled. I look towards the yelling and hear people start to whisper. I feel around for my uniform and ask for help, Scout was struggling but Charlie helped me get my uniform on.

"What letter is on this one?" I ask.

"Um, R T. Is that how you tell where they go," Charlie says.

"Yeah, I forgot my recorder in the classroom, could you run and get it. It's on my desk." I ask.

"Of course, I'm faster than Charlie here," Scout says. I hear her run. We get outside and Scout hands me my recorder. I put it in, my pocket. I turn on my support items when I'm told to go first to throw the ball. 

"How far did you throw the ball in middle school?"

May 19, 2022 14:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.