28 comments

Fiction

(Author's note: in comments)


As lost as Atlantis

 

 


I try to focus on the lights… or to at least appear as if I am focusing on the lights. I didn’t want to come. Our conversation is still stuck in my mind. But the full friend circle was coming, and I am too inferior to disrupt the completion.

 

But… why are your words ringing in my head like this? The lights are blurring and your words, not your voice, are ringing,… like chimes. Maybe my brain wants to find a loophole? I know that I do, but I don’t think that it’s right to want that, or is it?

 

I knew what you were going to say, and I heard it clearly too. I always heard what you said, even when it was hard, and you never refrained from hearing me, but will you now?

 

Because it’s you who is focusing on the lights now, and I am gazing at you. I want to try again but I know that I can’t, even if there’s nobody near you now. It’s amusing how we came to the fair as a group and then split up.

 

Someone knocks into me and I fall.

 

“Are you okay?” they ask.

 

I take their hand and pull myself up. They looked surprised, confused and falsely apologetic. Was that how I looked when you answered?

 

I smile anyway, “Yep, I’m cool,” and they go back to enjoying the fair without even hearing.


"I'm totally okay!, the bruise is healing!, I just have a bad headache!" I yelled back to the irritating voice without even identifying it, it didn't matter, they were all the same.


I fell to the bed and crawled towards the corner, trying not to use my left arm much. They just wanted to hear that it was okay, didn't they? But it hurt…, It always did, and that was the whole point. Ha, the number of questions sunk when they thought that I was bad with stairs, not with life, was amusing. Amusing.


I dust some sand away from my elbow and straighten my clothes. Some hues other than black are being welcomed into my wardrobe and I had to make sure that they didn’t look messy together. Oh my, it’s so funny that I started to care about what I wear, some months ago I wouldn’t have cared even if I looked like a ghoul, and I did look like a ghoul. Well, that was before the day I met you. Exactly before the day I met you. After that, I did start caring about the details.

 

From all the fair food before my eyes, I choose to buy a popsicle. The full thing is shoved into my mouth with the stick sticking out before I remember about being a little more mannerly and start devouring the popsicle slowly.

 

It’s weird that I still do care about the details…, don’t you think so? Isn’t it weird that I’m still striving to be better? That I still try to think a little before being a jerk? That I still care about what you would think in the back of my mind?

 

It is good that I’m becoming less cynical, like literally, but it’s still weird.


I lean to the wall and lift my arm to look at it, just below the elbow was a bruise worse than the one on my knee. It looked weird, weird, as it had a wound in the middle, dark with dried blood, and the blood that drained from the wound left a circle of pale skin to surround the scab, which was surrounded by the large patch of dark red-purple on my paling skin. Dark, pale, dark, pale, concentric circles, concentric circles, wasn’t that how Atlantis was? Land, water, land, water, land, water…


“Did you take your medicine?” The irritating voice.


Why does it have to interrupt me? Why does it have to interrupt the sinking of Atlantis? Why does it have to interrupt the sinking?


My right hand clawed at the sheets, digging into the bed.


Ah, my health, it was so important, because my grades were going down!, and they, were so important! My eyes tinkled and I blinked the tears away. Away?


It’s totally good that I am appreciating life and happiness and popsicles and all now but why? Okay, leave it, how would you know…

 

I am pretty sure that you don’t know why my motto became ‘life can get so awesome’ all of a sudden. You know that I was depressed, you know that I changed, because I told you, I loved talking to you. I loved hearing your rants more, it was hard to get you to open up, but that was okay, you didn’t talk stupid like others, there was that charm in your talk. But, now we avoid talking… maybe I shouldn’t have asked.

 

I’ve lost you from my sight now. You are another person in the crowd now, aren’t you? You still aren’t to me. But I walk without trying to find you. I am terrified that you will turn around and repeat those words, they were right, they were polite, but I still hate them. Or maybe I hate my… luck? Isn’t that selfish?, seeing your choices as my luck?

 

Maybe this could’ve been better if you just didn’t like me, it would’ve been easier to explain… and maybe I would’ve had a reason to be better? But it’s all different when the problem is that you can’t love me. You can’t, that’s just how you are, and I need to understand that, without turning my thoughts toxic again.


Why didn’t these people care about Atlantis? It’s inhabitants, they, they, were turning worse, with a mind just to tear down, they wanted disaster. They were losing ethics, were going frantic, with none actually making sense. They were turning toxic, even septic, getting more like prophesies than thoughts. And the irritating humans cared about my health, and my grades, would they care about Atlantis after the sinking


I am too confused, I started looking better, studying better, being better, just to please you, and it became a habit. But now I lost my reason. Should I hate my luck, or should I hate you?


My eyes burned, I blinked again because I couldn’t let the tears out, it showed weakness, I was weak, tremendously, but I didn’t want to show it. Didn’t want to show it. I would let everything build inside the walls until it bursts and crumpled everything. Everything. So, will they notice that Atlantis was going under? into the saline ocean… actually, they won’t…, they could only sense physical cracks, who can sense the fundamental auras of things they don’t care abou—


“Why aren’t you answering? Did you take your medicine!”


I clenched my jaw but crawled towards the edge of the bed anyway. They hated seeing even the physical cracks, didn’t they?


I glanced at the mirror as I trembled towards the medicine shelf…, hm, well, the physical cracks were rather visible. My face looked pale, contrasting with the dark circles around my eyes, my almost tattered black cloths and messy head of unmannerly hair made me look like a ghoul. And to add to it, my body looked shriveled up, even my arms looked skeletal. Skeletal. Well, that’s news, two months of food and sleep deprivation can do that much to a body, wow, wonderful knowledge. I scoffed at myself.


I just want believe that there is a loophole and continue being better for you.


I neared the shelf and shoddily grab the paring knife I kept there. The blade felt cold, I pressed the flat side lightly against my cheeks; a serene sensation took over Atlantis, as if everyone in it stopped destroying it to enjoy a moment of the sea breeze and the soft rain. The rain which had all the potential to turn into the storm which would end it all. End it all. I blinked, took the knife away from my cheek and stared at it while grabbing my tablets from the shelf.


Was it for good or bad that I noticed at the last moment that I was literally going to end it all by swallowing the wrong medicine? What would have that been called? Accidental suicide? Sounds funny


But my conscience is screaming at me to hate you and walk backwards, devolve, because without you, there’s no point.


I threw the wrong one back, placed the right flat, oval, white pill on my table and used the knife to crack it into imperfect halves with a loud snap, why didn’t I buy the ones with the right potency? Eh, Atlantis forgets details sometimes. I grabbed the half glass of water from the corner of my table and used it to swallow both the pieces of the pill. Atlantis wants to forget the details sometimes.


I don’t know which way is wrong, I don’t know which is right. I don’t know what to do, I am so confused. I can’t find my way in this mess of lights, but I find you in front of me and that’s making me more lost.


I grabbed my earphones on the way back, sat on the edge on the bed and feebly extended my arm towards th—


“You should sleep now.”


“Ye—”


“You have to sleep, right now; I don’t want you fainting again, do you know how much trouble that was? No more sitting in front of a screen, you…


I couldn’t hear anything more, nothing more; the pounding in my ears were getting louder, I fell into my bed again. Again. Tears. Tears. I rolled over, burying my face into a pillow. Tears. I just didn’t want to be taunted about them too. I didn’t want to feel as if I belonged in a corner. I just wanted to be considered as something with a mind. Considered. As Atlantis. Sobs. But I was too weak to protest. My arm Hurt. Hurt. My head hurt, my chest hurt, because of thinking and breathing and living. Living? When was I living?


Maybe Atlantis was already sunken, because it wasn’t living anymore. It was just stuck. Sunken and stuck. As a myth never to be understood. Sunken and lost. Sunken so deep that nobody could find it, or know it. Nobody could know it. Atlantis. Sunken and lost. Forever. As concentric circles. Concentric circles.


You are just another character in my life, shaping it in a way, creating plot twists, but I don’t know if anyone can ever match your place. Because now, when I find you in front of me again, laughing with someone in a way that I wanted to make you laugh, I feel that tinge of jealousy. It’s plain, I just can’t hate you, but I won’t hate myself again either. Atlantis is rising, and it’s not stopping, but I have to admit, these concentric circles… they are still lost, and, for now, I am okay with being lost...

 

Because even Atlantis can be found.

May 15, 2021 03:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

06:45 May 15, 2021

My note!: So, Hi! And… wait… I forgot what I had to say here… I did have somethin' 'important' to say… welp, knowing me (not exactly) that was probably just some odd joke. Btw Please give me some feedback if you have time!, I mean I'm pretty sure that there is a sly typo somewhere in there… and ALL types of critiques are welcome!, seriously! I dunno if the tense fluctuation actually worked… maybe it ended up confusing…, tell if ya didn't get the premise, and tips on being less confusing is also so welcome! And, sorry if this story was a ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aiden Otaktay
14:09 Jun 03, 2021

The last line osbidhwwobsj Excellent job!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philia S
15:23 May 30, 2021

Heyooo Socerer!! (Don't ask why I suddenly dropped in out of nowhere; I was going through my following so-) Wonderful job! I loved the metaphor!! I had only one teeny-weeny suggestion: Cut down the commas(I, also have a problem with them; I'll insert a comma WHEREVER and WHENEVER possible) ^^^As they say, when you don't find any proper criticism to give, go for the grammar :p

Reply

Show 0 replies
17:00 May 16, 2021

Oh wow Let me process for a second But… why are your words ringing in my head like this? I love that one. Like, from the underlined parts being their inner thoughts/ what they wanted to do/ what they did in their head to the detachment from society and that ending where they were barely able to function because of the medication? So. Amazing. And the Atlantis metaphor! Just... amazing!

Reply

14:07 May 17, 2021

oh god, I think the comments in this is turning a bit extravagant eh, ok, that sounds rude I just found the lack of critiques weird, I did have to bend my style a bit for this and all and it's so cool that it ended up okay! Lol, it's so cool that you liked it! Thank you! Can you believe that this started as a stupid 'what happens when your crush don't like you' premise and then I literally forgot what I had in mind and just wrote something and was like WHAT? when did I write THIS? WHAT? where did Atlantis come from? WHAT? I am feeling li...

Reply

16:38 May 17, 2021

Oh Whatson... reminds me of carson... lol Lol all the best writing is alive hehe

Reply

12:46 May 18, 2021

"Please don't tell me you named your car that" That's the first thing that comes to my mind when you say the name XD k, k, I don't think snickering helps with brain freezes astute XD

Reply

13:00 May 18, 2021

Omg literally. Lol, there's a reference to Caddy in the day the clock stopped. "Take this book. You'll need to read up on this." "Peppa's Storybook Collection? Peppa pig is going to save the day?" "... It's from a friend"

Reply

13:17 May 18, 2021

Wow, now I'm thinking of "Needless to say, I oinked as I smashed it down onto the...... dumbass's? head?", ok, I officially forgot the rest of that XD but oh my, I'm seriously lookin' out for that part XD I mean, your writing is seriously... astute XD ok, stick with that adjective until I find something better. But from where in the seven worlds did you get Peppa pig from? XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
10:31 May 16, 2021

Gosh, the last line. That voice- Wonderfully written! How's your sorcerer training going? ;)

Reply

11:02 May 16, 2021

oh my, so sorry I'm not keeping up to your stories, K? (I am reading them and forgetting to reply... :| I'm so dumb) Thank you So much!, I thought that it would be confusing actually =P oh, bad, bumpy Lol, I am very clumsy at it you know XD Happy Today!

Reply

Sia S
11:09 May 16, 2021

XD loll it's okay:) :P Oop- hope you pass! XD Happy Today!

Reply

11:14 May 16, 2021

=) Years of training left Lol XD Btw would you have time to read these two stories and say, in the comments of the stories, if they are interesting enough to be continued!? (I think that they are, but do go say yur opinion) Please? They are the first two parts of a series written by Raven Achlys. https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/84/submissions/57880/ https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/84/submissions/57881/ SO sorry for the nagging but please read if you have the time Happy Today.

Reply

Sia S
13:11 May 16, 2021

XD Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
05:56 May 16, 2021

Hi, I thought this was a great story. I loved how you compared the sinking of Atlantis to the inner thoughts of one's mind. I could understand how the irritating voice was affecting his state of mind. That last line was very powerful, because to me, I took it as he wasn't going to let it bring him down and rise above. My favorite line here is: "I just wanted to be considered as something with a mind." - This was amazing, and I thought it worked well here ;) With this line: "Was it good thing or a bad thing" - maybe consider "Was it a good...

Reply

13:30 May 16, 2021

Thank you so much for reading this, I'm so glad that you liked it! Thank you!, if it's not self-praising I think that line has some poeticness too Lol Thank you for pointing out that typo! I really appreciate it 'cause the editing process is actually my least favorite part in writing I guess Lol, a fresh pair of eyes is always needed Happy Today.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
15:44 May 16, 2021

You're welcome :) Don't worry, I hate the editing process too ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Oohhhh…that hit hard. Love the voice in the head, it makes an antagonist out of nothing. 100% MUFFIN ;>

Reply

04:24 May 16, 2021

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Antagonists out of nothing *raises arms* WAKE UP! Lol Tysm! =) How do you do muffin bud? Happy Today!

Reply

Show 1 reply
10:58 May 16, 2021

Hey Muffin bud! Can you please read these two stories and say (in the comments of the stories) if they are interesting enough to be continued!? (I think that they are, but do go say yur opinion) Please? They are the first two parts of a series written by Raven Achlys. https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/84/submissions/57880/ https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/84/submissions/57881/ btw sorry for the nagging but please read if you have the time Happy Today!

Reply

Ooohhhh okie I’ll tryyyy Same :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Danny -
13:11 May 15, 2021

Nice twist on the prompt! Sorry for not getting to your stories earlier, I haven't been active on reedsy as much e.e Ooh, but I really enjoyed reading this, the descriptions and imagery were vivid, and the writing style you went with to describe the emotions of the character complemented the whole atmosphere you were going for. The thoughts of the character were properly organized, and for a story this long I think it's impressive how you made things work so well :) The theme of the story was great too! And sorry again :') I'll be sure to...

Reply

14:10 May 15, 2021

Oh, no problem! except that I terribly miss your stories! Lol And that is... some feedback, Thank you so much! I honestly thought that it was too confusing... Lol Thanks! Wait, would you be in my reedsy cast? https://forms.gle/cn2XBc53vshosFgz9

Reply

Danny -
05:22 May 16, 2021

Aah still sorry though :') Of course! Oh, it wasn't that confusing really, and I seriously love reading about these kind of things, they're just so fricking beautiful, don't you think? :) and interesting too~ Np :) Sure~ I'll go right ahead and answer the form

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.