19 comments

Drama Romance

Glazed and Glorious

“Jasper! Come help me bring in the boxes of flour!"

“I’m coming!” It’s another day working in the bakery. Glazed and Glorious is my family’s bakery, opposite… Gloriously Glazed Bakery. They have been our rivals since the beginning of time. Okay, that’s an exaggeration. When my great grandfather, Edward Thompson, built his bakery, his high-school rival, Jeremiah Henderson, constructed his own bakery to challenge my great grandfather. So, our town has two rival bakeries, fighting for customers. 

“Jasper! Are you done stacking the boxes? I need you at the counter!” There’s a shout from my mother, as I order the last batch of flour onto its shelf. 

“Coming!” I yell, dusting my hands on my apron as I race to the front. Business is booming because tomorrow we’re having our town’s annual festival. Everyone is buying our iconic strawberry tarts. The only thing our customers aren’t buying are our blueberry tarts. ‘Apparently’ Gloriously Glazed’s are better. The front door’s bell rings as it opens and I look up.

I frown, it’s Connor Henderson from Gloriously Glazed. Wonderful.

“What are you doing here, Connor?” I snarl, suddenly invested in looking at my fingernails. 

“You think I wanna be here on my own accord?” He fires back, making me glance up at the handsome boy. His caramel-brown eyes lock with mine so I look back down. 

“Well if you didn’t come to visit me,” I retort, “What’s your business here?”

“My father… wants to make a deal for the festival. He thinks-”

“What makes you think we’d associate with your bakery?!”

“I know this is sudden, but can you listen for a second, Jasper?”

“No, I can’t. The last time I listened to you, I fell for you, look where that got me,” He sighs, running a hand through his mahogany hair. 

“We promised each other we wouldn’t speak about that… We’re over that, aren’t we?” I nod. If I reply, there’s no doubt my voice will crack, and he won’t believe me.

“The deal is, you can sell some of our blueberry tarts if we can sell your strawberry tarts,” I open my mouth to object but he continues.

“I’m not saying you have to, but tell your dad so that he’ll consider. It’ll be a win-win for both bakeries, then we can go back to being rivals.” I think about it for a second. 

“We’ll see.” I reply, and Connor turns on his heel and leaves, slamming the door behind him. 

~

“Jasper, what was Connor doing here?” 

It’s been ten minutes since Connor left our bakery, and I haven’t stopped thinking about him and the deal.

“Oh, he-”

“He hasn’t come to win your affection again, has he?”

“I- No! Mother, that has nothing to do with it!”

“He loved you, you know-”

“MOTHER! Let me answer the question! I told you, that's irrelevant!”

“Now, now. No need to get feisty. You’re going to be the death of me one day!”

“Gloriously Glazed wants to make a deal.” That shuts my mother up, as she gives me a confused glance.

“No. Don’t tell me that sneaky-”

“MOTHER! Let me finish!” She looks as if she wants to argue but lets me

continue.

“They came up with a compromise this year, for the annual festival. They’ve suggested we sell some of their blueberry tarts, so they can sell some of our strawberry tarts.” My mother’s eyes widen and she hurries off to the back of the bakery.

“Griffin! Where are you? GRIFFIN THOMPSON, YOUR WIFE NEEDS TO SPEAK TO YOU!”

“HUH? WHAT DO YOU WANT, AUBREY?!” I sigh, rubbing my temples, the bakery closes in five minutes, and I cannot wait until I can go home. 

It’s seven-thirty by the time I get home, have dinner and manage to escape back to my room. Dinner was a disaster. Dad couldn't believe Gloriously Glazed wanted to make a deal with us. Mum is still confused about why we’re rivals. I quote, “Griffin, I'm not like the old fashioned women who married into this family and followed the rules of rivalry. I am not going to sit here and bicker with this family like a child. Can't we talk to the Hendersons civilly, like adults? If Jas dates Connor, they can bring the two families together!” I had slammed my hands down at that statement and raced to the safety of my room.

I collapse onto my bed, with a dramatic ‘oomph’ and sigh. Being in a relationship with Connor was… complicated. We had to sneak out at night and meet up far away from the bakeries. Our families were clueless at first but once they found out, they grounded us both and banned us from seeing each other. To make matters worse… Connor broke. He had fought his way to get me, but in the end, it got us nowhere. However, there was one unforgettable thing he did that night, and I’m not sure I can forget it.

~

It’s 2 am and I want to cry. Instead, I get out of bed and climb out my window. The night sky is still midnight blue, and the stars are starting to blink out, as sunrise comes nearer. I walk a few hundred metres from the house, my bare feet crushing dead leaves, my breathing the only sound I can hear for miles out. I sit down at a bench in silence.

It started nine months ago. I was walking down the trail, headphones on, to drown out the world. I wasn’t looking where I was going and I fell. I tripped over my own feet, right into the arms of Connor Henderson. He gave me a heart-melting smile and whispered, “Did you just fall for me?” I was awestruck. Absolutely smitten by the boy whose eyes dazzled like the stars, and the smile that made me think everything was right in the world.

Tears spill from my eyes, why did the boy I loved have to be from the family who hated mine? After a few moments of silent crying, my heart pangs and it feels like I’m tearing myself apart, over and over again. I can’t breathe, and my vision is blurry from tears. 

“Why did I have to fall in love with the boy I couldn’t have?!” I bang my fist into the bench, not feeling the pain because losing Connor will always hurt more. 

“Jasper?” A voice calls out in the semi-darkness and I blink. It’s almost like an angel is appearing to me in a dream, but… it can’t be. The Connor I knew is dead. He died the night we were separated, but tonight he’s come back. ‘Crap.’ I think to myself, wiping away my tears.

“Jasper?” The angel asks me again, but I don’t respond. This is a dream, I tell myself. Connor walks up to me, taking in my pathetic, kneeling form on the grass.

He puts one hand on my shoulder and lifts my chin with the other, so I’m facing him. I slap his arm away but he doesn’t flinch, stupid boy with his too-big muscles.

“Jasper, it’s me. Are you okay?” His face is full of concern but under the streetlights glow, I can see he has shadows under his eyes.

“What the hell, C-Connor? You come h-here, and you ask me if I’m okay? You know why things can’t be the same!” I shout between ragged breaths, tears rapidly leaking out of my eyes. 

“Calm down, Jasper. I just want to know if you’re ok-”

“No, goddamnit! Why do you keep asking me?!” He wipes a tear from my face with his thumb.

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry for what happened that night,”

“Sorry doesn’t cut it, Connor! Your words don’t mean anything after your actions,”

“I know that.” He goes quiet, his hand still on my face.

“You left me! When your father came, you didn’t say a word, and you walked away like we were nothing. Like I was nothing. Why?! Was I not good enough for you?”

“I did it to pro-”

“Don’t you dare say you were protecting me. Who were you even protecting me from? Your drunk father? My possessive parents?”

“I- No. I was protecting you from… myself,” I blink, I expected a lot of answers, but not this one.

“I can explain.” He retells what happened that night, even though I remember it like it was yesterday.

One night, Connor and I had snuck out. We had travelled to the reserve, where the cliffs were. We were sitting there, having the time of our lives, laughing, kissing and enjoying the view from that height. Then, Connor’s father arrived. He was drunk, swaying with every step.

“Where have you been, boy?!” His father had yelled, and we both stood up, Connor standing in front of me, ready to defend me. His father had been carrying a broken beer bottle, his idea of a weapon. He swung it around, but he was too far to hit us.

“This is what happens when a man’s son doesn’t come home!” He had shouted, and I saw the fear in Connor’s eyes.

“Oh, I’m sorry! I should be home all the time, so I can remind you not to drink because it’s my fault you get drunk!” Connor had dared to fire back, which was his mistake. A grin had crept over his father’s face, as he said that my father was ALSO looking for us, and he’d be here any minute.

As he said those words, my dad stomped his way over to me. He took my arms, locking me in place, separating me from Connor.

“Connor!” I had shouted, begging him to help me, but my boyfriend didn’t turn around. “Connor, please! They’re going to separate us!” I screamed, and that was what made him turn around and stare me dead in the eyes.

“I know.” He had whispered, emotionless. He did not come for me, he did not cry, or argue, he simply gave up. He gave me one last look, not even bothering to fight for me, before walking off with his father, as I sobbed into the night.

“I told you I was protecting you, from myself,” He begins, sitting next to me, one hand trying to hold mine, but I move mine away. He takes a deep breath before explaining.

“We both know when my father came, something washed over me. I was cold, I know, and I’m sorry Jasper. If I hadn’t acted like that, I would’ve lost it. My father broke me that night, I would’ve snapped. I would’ve done everything you wanted me to, scream, cry, beg, but I can assure you, I would not have been myself. I would do something I’d regret for the rest of my life. If I had snapped, I probably would’ve pushed my father off that cliff, and walked away. I would’ve hit your father till he was black and blue just so I could get back to you. Tell me you forgive me, Jasper. I did it for you, I was like that so you wouldn’t have to hurt more than you already did,” His eyes plead, wanting me to understand.

“So, you’re saying… you could’ve killed your father just to be with me?”

“I mean, I could’ve, not saying that I would.”

“What kind of psychopath are you?!” I screech and slap his face. “Why would you do that, just for me?!” I sob, “That’s the stupidest thing you could do!” Tears are slipping down his cheeks, but I realise the damage is already done.

~

Three hours later, I am woken up by my mother, who reminds me of the festival. I throw on whatever is in my closet, and head downstairs to the bakery. My dad is loading the truck, and according to my mother, they sent up the marquees yesterday, so there’s no need for us to use make-shift tents. I grab a croissant from one of the trays, stuff it into my mouth, and rub my eyes. My mind is whirring from earlier, I can’t believe I left Connor there, alone, that early in the morning. I never did ask him why he was up so early. The drive is only five minutes, but it still takes me six minutes to nibble my way through the French pastry. Once all our delicacies are piled up and organised into boxes, the sun has popped its head out, declaring it is 7 am. I watch Gloriously Glazed stack their things, and I try not to make eye contact with Connor. 

“Did you agree to the deal?” I hear my mother whisper in my dad’s ear.

“I never replied, we’ll have to see what happens.” 

Fifteen minutes later, some people start to file in. Connor’s dad, Baxter Henderson, is waiting for us to make the first move, I can see it in his eyes. He wants us to bring up the topic of the deal, but he’s going to have to wait. After notions to his wife, and prodding his son in the back, Connor makes his way over to our stall.

“My father wants to know if the deal is still going ahead,” Connor looks at my dad, and then gives me a pleading look as if to say ‘Please just say yes, so we can get this over and done with.” 

“Why did he send you, and not talk to me, himself?” My dad asks, eyes blazing, daring Baxter to come over. 

“I’ll go ask him to come over,” Connor replies, and I sigh. Connor was always such a good boy. Mr Henderson comes over, a permanent scowl set on his face,

“You’re impossible, Griffin. Why can’t you just accept the deal? We’re both making more money!”

“What’s your reasoning behind this deal, anyway? You’re never this keen to work together, in fact, you’re never this keen to ever work with my bakery,”

“You asshole, I’m trying to make a profit!” Mr Henderson growls, but I can sense his discomfort. Connor looks at me, and through his eyes, he asks if we want to get out of here. I shrug and follow him to Gloriously Glazed’s stall. We can still hear the adult’s conversation, but we pretend we can’t. Connor stands behind the counter, as a little kid and her mother walk up to him.

“Mama! Mama! Can I have one of those?” The child points to a chocolate croissant and her mother smiles.

“You heard my girl, one chocolate croissant, please,” She hands Connor the money, and he hands the little girl the croissant with the biggest smile on both of their faces. Yet, this one interaction, makes me fall in love with him all over again, but then I realise. I never really did stop loving him.

Once the customers leave, Connor turns back to me.

“What are you looking at?” 

“Nothing your pretty head needs to worry about,” I reply but internally, I’m thinking. ‘Oh, nothing I’m just looking at your beautiful flexing muscles, showing beneath your shirt, and your eyes that I could stare into all day.’  Connor lets out a low whistle.

“Really? I thought you were checking me out,” I pause, I didn’t say my internal monologue out loud… did I? My eyes widen,

“Don’t take that the wrong way, Connor!” His eyes narrow with mischief, and I can feel my soul slipping away from me. He takes a single step closer towards me.

“Do you still like me, Jasper?” I shake my head, but that doesn’t mean I’m not staring at him. “Yeah, well, from what you just said, I really don’t believe that,” 

“Ok! Ok!” I blurt out, feeling my cheeks burn. “Yes, I still like you. I never got over you, okay? I just pretended to hate you, because losing you hurt more than I wanted to admit,” I confess in one breath and he smiles.

“Well, I expected a lot of things today, but a confession wasn’t one of them,” He remarks, and he takes another step closer. Our parents are still yelling, but none of that matters anymore. I rush over to Connor, linking my arms around his tall frame, and just let myself melt into him. 

“God, I missed you so much, Jasper.”

“Not as much as I missed you.” We’re interrupted by yelling and crashing and we whip our heads over to my bakery’s stall. My dad is sprawled on the floor, a tray of food, knocked down with him.

“Dad!” I yell, as my dad stands up, pure rage in his eyes. “We need to stop them!” I tug on Connor’s sleeve and he nods.

“Stop it, both of you!” Connor hollers as we approach them.

“Shut up, boy! We have pastries to sell!” He screeches, but it’s Connor’s mum, Alessia, that stops him.

“Griffin, Aubrey, Jasper, I’m so sorry. I know apologising won’t make up for everything, but the truth is-”

“NO!” Mr Henderson tries to swipe at Alessia, but my mum pulls her out of the way.

“The truth is, we’ve gone bankrupt. We only found out a week ago,” She glances at Connor when she says this, because clearly he didn’t know. “I- I think it’s because of you,” Alessia points a finger at her husband. “All you do is drink, Baxter. You don’t help in the bakery anymore, you don’t help with the house, you sit on your lazy ass, and you drink and you gamble.” We all stop, this explains everything, and Baxter Henderson has been exposed.

“We’re losing the bakery this Friday.” Alessia whispers, and Connor tenses beside me. Mr Henderson slumps to his knees, while my mother stacks the tray back up.

“So it’s true.” My dad says, glancing at Alessia, then at Baxter. Alessia nods, noticing the customers get closer to our stall. 

“We need to talk about this later.” She states, and just like that, Gloriously Glazed no longer feels like a rival.

December 10, 2020 07:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Jasey Lovegood
07:59 Dec 10, 2020

Hey everyone! This is Part 1 to the Glazed and Glorious series. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE (with lots of writing love on top), go to my bff Zoé Nöel-lemieux's story bc it's the same plot, but in a different POV. (It's Gloriously Glazed btw) Part 2 will be out soon, depending on the prompts next week, enjoy! :D

Reply

08:04 Dec 10, 2020

Eeeee snvcuhvhim this is so good and I love it :D Connor and Jasper forever y'all. Even tho I helped come up with some of the plot, suiagofhuec the plot twist that they're broke and that it's because of the dad. And the fact that they'd had a history too. I rlly love this story gj Jasey! For y'all reading this I haven't posted mine just yet, but I will soon :) *also I'll edit this comment when I do with the link if u wanna read it*

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
18:08 Dec 19, 2020

Hello Jasey! This story was really good! I loved how you included lots of flashbacks! Great job!!!!!!!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
00:24 Dec 20, 2020

Thank you very much, Kate! I'm glad you like the flashbacks, because I love writing them. :)

Reply

Kate Reynolds
00:46 Dec 20, 2020

Welcome! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
15:17 Dec 10, 2020

Hi Jasey! I loved reading your story! Especially the little bits of backstory you added in between the actual story. It helped bring more depth to the characters and what they were going through. I can't wait to read the next part of this! And I would certainly love to read Zoé Nöel-lemieux's story too, when it's been put up!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
02:27 Dec 11, 2020

Thank you so much for the feedback, Akshaya! Honestly, me too, I can't wait to read Zoe's POV. Thanks for reading! :)

Reply

Akshaya ✨
07:19 Dec 11, 2020

Of course! It was a cool story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi Jasey! Wow, amazing... glad u told me to check it out because its AMAZING!!!!!! Keep writing!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
02:28 Dec 11, 2020

I don't know if it's AMAZING but I had heaps of fun writing it. Thanks for the feedback, Varsha! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi Jasey! Happy new year! Can u check out my latest story?

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:44 Jan 01, 2021

Hey Varsha! Happy New Year to you too. Sure, I can check it out soon :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi Jasey! New story out!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
00:52 Dec 23, 2020

Awesome, I'll have a look soon!

Reply

:) thx Jasey Also I love your new profile pic:)

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
03:47 Dec 23, 2020

Thank you, it's my Xmas pfp! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.