Surprise!!!!l

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that ends with a twist.... view prompt

2 comments

Mystery

Cicely opened the door to her apartment and flicked on the light switch located on the right hand side of the door frame, but the space remained dark. She doubted that a blown bulb was the reason for no light, because she changed the bulb just last week.

She stepped into her apartment and closed the door behind her. Instantly she heard the breathing and heart beats of a multitude of people. This ability was acquired thanks to a special defense training program she endured for a number of years. It was due to said training that she now possessed absolutely no fear, so she was properly prepared to deal with whatever her current situation may bring.

Her mind flashed back to the door. There was no signs of forced entry, so this meant that however these people gained access into her tenth floor apartment, a key was more than likely used, or....

Then, without warning.... "Surprise!!!" The once dark apartment was overtaken by light and twenty people wearing birthday hats and displaying shocked expressions on their faces, stared at Cicely.

Cicely stood in a defensive stance holding the handles of matching ten inch knives, firmly in her hands. Then it came to her, how her older sister loved throwing her surprise birthday parties. In her line of work, she didn't take kindly to any type of surprises, even those brought about by people she loved.

Now she had to come up with some logical sounding tale that would appease this group of bewildered people, and that would keep the fact that she was a professional assassin...secret.

Cicely's sister, April, walked up on her and placed her arm around her neck.

"Go with it, Sis," April whispered. "Got cha!" April said convincingly, she and Cicely smiled afterward. "I know how much Cicely hates surprises, but you all didn't. So, we decided to surprise you all. Did it work? "

The group of people began laughing.

"You're goimg to explain to me what the hell's going on with you later, Cicely," April said sternly.

"I'll think about it, April," Cicely said nonchalantly. She moved away from her sister and towards the people, who found themselves in her apartment.

Then, without warning. Four figures came crashing through her windows, all were dressed in all black and had mask concealing their faces. There entrance was made possible due to ropes that were tied to the roof top.

"Everyone take cover!" Cecily screamed. She immediately proceeded to run towards the intruders, as her other unexpected guest proceeded to get out of the way.

April, as well as several other people she invited to the party, looked on in awe as Cecily was doing what she did best.

Cicely used the two knives and her feet with precise precision. Whoever the intruders were, they were no match for her. When it was all said and done, the four individuals laid dead, and she hadn't even worked up a sweat.

People began making their way out of her apartment until no one was left, except April, who was in a state of shock.

"So, ready for me to tell you what's, big Sis?"

April was literally in a state of shock.

January 31, 2020 21:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tommy Goround
10:00 Aug 13, 2022

Fanteesmo. Sorry this has not gotten the comments it deserves. Clapping. The title is funny. The story is fluid. It was very enjoyable.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Monica June
13:17 Jun 02, 2021

WOAH! That was action packed! And I loved the names you picked. I love good names :) It was very short, I'm sure less than 1k, but that's just fine if you're not really writing it to win. one line I caught something in: "Got cha!" April said convincingly, I would change that to "Gotcha" as one word. Other than that, I can't find any other edits. Good job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.