Reflection(The Mirror World)

Submitted into Contest #101 in response to: Write a story that involves a reflection in a mirror.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction

What is a mirror? A mirror is there to hang on your wall or to carry in your purse, for you to use to help you look your best, but what happens when the reflection in the mirror is not your own, but that of a different person in a different world.

Becky loves mirrors. She loves to look at herself in the mirror non-stop, then one day something unexpected happens.

Becky wakes up at her usual time. She grabs her mirror and checks herself out. When she finishes, she puts the mirror down and goes to take a shower.

Becky goes to the bathroom. She looks at herself in the mirror once again, then she turns the shower on and gets in.

Becky gets out of the shower in 20 minutes. She once again checks herself in the mirror. When she is satisfied with how she looks, Becky goes back to her room and puts on her work clothes. she goes back to the mirror and checks herself, but this time it's different.

Becky twirls around and smiles when she sees herself looking good in her clothes. When Becky leaves the mirror her reflection doesn't move with her, the reflection stays in place.

Becky is startled. She goes back to the mirror and stands in front of her reflection. Becky begins to dance. She sees her reflection standing there . Becky stops dancing.

Becky moves closer to the mirror, again her reflection just stands there. Becky moves back then she moves forward towards the mirror, again nothing. Becky does this some many times she begins to feel dizzy. Then something happens.

Becky's reflection starts to come out of the mirror. Becky doesn't notice until her reflection touches her shoulder.

Becky gasps then turns around, with wide eyes Becky stares at her reflection. She doesn't know what to do, but the only thing she can do. Becky backs away.

Becky begins to talk, no words are coming out of her mouth. In an instant Becky's reflection grabs her arm and runs back into the mirror taking Becky with her.

Becky goes into the mirror. Her reflection still has a hold on her. Becky doesn't see anything only darkness. Then up ahead Becky begins to see light.

Becky and her reflection make it to the other side. Becky's reflection drops her hand, while Becky has her eyes closed.

Becky opens her eye, and what she sees amazes her. Becky looks around and sees a whole different world, then she sees her reflection, and Becky's reflection is not the same.

Becky stares at her reflection, but she can't bring herself to say anything.

"You're probably wondering who I am?"

Becky nods

"I'm you. My name is also Becky."

Becky is shocked to say the least. She backs away from herself and tries to run. Mirror Becky stops her.

"we need to talk."

Becky shakes her head. Mirror Becky grabs Becky's hand and they begin to walk.

"Why do we need to talk?"

Mirror Becky doesn't answer. Becky tries to wedge herself out of mirror Becky's hand, but her grip is too hard.

Becky looks around this strange world and she realizes this world is similar to her world, with one exception. Everything is in reverse.

"I don't understand. How is this possible?"

"You will understand soon enough."

Becky looks up and sees what appears to be a dome. Mirror Becky slows down.

"Pretty cool huh."

Becky nods

"The dome protects the mirror world."

"From who?"

"From those who want to destroy us."

Mirror Becky continues to guide Becky through her world which is a maze. They go in and around buildings and stores. All around people who seem similar to Becky, but are different.

Becky sees a lot of similar things that she sees in her world. The clothes people wear remind Becky of her friends, to the stores she sees remind Becky of where she goes shopping, to the buildings she sees which remind Becky of where she works.

Becky closes her eyes hoping this is all a dream. Mirror Becky stops and looks at Becky. She begins to laugh.

"This is not a dream. You can open your eyes."

Becky opens her eyes and furiously looks at mirror Becky.

"Why are you laughing at me?"

"I've known you for a long time. I know you throw tantrums when you are angry."

Becky doesn't understand what mirror Becky means by that.

"What do you mean? You've known mean me for a long time."

"I'm your reflection Becky. I've been watching and growing with you since mirrors became a part of your life."

"Why am I here?"

Mirror Becky twirl her hand around so Becky can look at the mirror world.

Becky looks around the mirror world and sees the people enjoying themselves, talking, kids are playing happily, plus there are no windows or mirrors. it's a stress free world.

"I don't understand."

"These people you see may seem like strangers to you, but they are not strangers at all. They are the mirror version of the people from your world."

Becky walks to the park followed by mirror Becky. She looks closely at the people. Becky is startled when she recognizes two people.

"OH MY GOD! those are my parents."

"They are versions of your parents. They don't see your parents as often as I see you."

Becky turns around and faces herself.

"I love mirrors."

"You love them them too much. I want to show a world where mirrors are not a way of life."

Beck is trying to understand what mirror Becky is telling her, but she doesn't want to stop using mirrors.

"Mirrors for me show me a different, a good and better me. I don't why I look at mirrors so much. I just do."

"I'm not telling you to give up mirrors. I just want you to be your true self without mirrors guiding your life."

Becky smiles and hugs mirror Becky.

"I promise not to let mirrors consume my life."

"Good. My work is done. Let send you home."

Mirror Becky summons the mirror back. She tells Becky to walk through and she will be home.

'I am never going to look at myself the same way."

Mirror Becky smiles.

Becky and Mirror Becky wave goodbye.

July 07, 2021 20:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Rajan Perunna
06:55 Feb 14, 2023

The story is very interesting. In fact I had written a story similar to this (with slight variations) in our language, Malayalam, a few years back. Well written. Regards, Dr. Rajan Perunna

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.