Light of Hyrule: Part 1 - Ashani's P.O.V

Written in response to: Repeat the same line of dialogue, from the same character, three separate times.... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy Adventure Coming of Age


🎉🥳20 STORIES!!🥳🎉




Courage. Wisdom. Power.


Ashani and Avel heard nothing less than that from school.


You’d think that being twin brother and sister, daughter and son of Urbosa, next in line to be chief, they wouldn’t have to go to school. That they could just focus on training.


But that wasn’t the case for Ashani.


Ms. Frelly droned on and on about how their mother was an awesome chief, about their history and the sand seals, about the eight heroines and their myths and legends, and how they impacted her tribe.


It was SO BORING.


But at least Ms. Frelly taught them about Link. And the Calamity. And about…well, everything about the Champions.


That was what Ashani liked to hear. Not myths, not legends, but truth. And amazing truth. Not boring truth, like everything else.


However, Avel liked the exact opposite of what Ashani liked. Unlike some twins, they were the exact opposites of each other. 


One male, one female. One special, one not. One head in the clouds, one down to earth. One myth and legend, one truth, like in school.


Ashani wished she could be more like Avel, more dreamy. More special. He was all the town cared about. He was going to be the inheritor of Urbosa’s weapons and powers.


Little did she know Avel would surprise her.


Ashani’s green eyes blinked in the setting sunlight, which was turning her tan skin golden. Her long, braided red hair stuck to her face as she petted Olivia, her sand seal. It was unusually hot today, and since it would be hotter over the summer, she needed to get heat resistant clothes.


“Ash?” someone behind her whispered. Ashani knew that voice. No doubt it was Avel, with his perfect, handsome face that all the girls fell for.


“Ave…” Ashani turned around hesitantly. “Tell Mama that Olivia is sick. I need to stay with her for the rest of the night.”


“But, Ash…I wanted to spend some time with you,” Avel pleaded. “Plus, she looks fine. Please, please come in.”


“You know how Mama is with Sand seals. She can’t stand them dying or being hurt in any way, Avel. I’ll be back by tomorrow, ‘kay?”


“Fine,” Avel whimpered, walking back into the secure walls of Gerudo Town. 


Ashani felt the charm on her neck. “Please, don’t kill me,” she whispered. She didn’t mean to say that…but the charm made her have a feeling that something was coming. Something she would have to handle…all on her own.


Ashani looked up. There was a blood moon tonight. Not a good sign. But she shook off whatever weird, crazy thoughts she had and drifted off into a deep, deep sleep.


Ashani opened her eyes to a thunderstorm. Even though she was wearing metal weapons, the electricity wasn’t hitting her. Her hand pulsed with golden light and she opened it to reveal a glowing golden stone on a silver chain. It glimmered with electricity, and as the next lightning bolt struck, the world turned dark. She saw the blood moon in the sky, and willed herself to wake up. “Please, please, please, don’t kill me, don’t…” she found herself whispering, before jolting awake.


Ashani gasped. That was not what she was used to, and she certainly didn’t expect it. She looked down into her hand. Her mother’s Divine Beast charm that Ashani had always worn around her neck had fallen off, and upon her gaze falling onto it, dissolved into a glowing golden stone in the shape of a cylinder with a pointy edge. She gasped again as an explosion of golden light made Olivia duck under the sand.


“What in Hyrule…” she murmured, lacing the stone onto a chain around her neck. “Well, I suppose I have to protect you now.”


Ashani didn’t know why she was speaking to the stone as if it was a child. She felt some kind of pull, and she knew that it was very powerful and deserved some respect—which someone wasn’t giving it.


Stone of Fury, she recalled hearing in her dream. Is that what this is?


“Ashani!” one of the guards from the town ran up to her. “Lady Urbosa said that Avel’s gone! She has no idea where he went! He must have left in the night!”


“Avel?” Ashani hopped up. “Well, we have to look for him. I’ll go. Keep Mother safe, okay?”


“Yes, my lady,” the guard said, before running off.


Ashani looked out to the north of the Gerudo Desert, towards the newly-established Kara Kara Bazaar. She could faintly see Avel running in the direction of Hebra. She had to catch him—quickly, before he hurt himself trying to survive in the cold weather of the mountains.


Ashani tugged Olivia out of the sand and tied her to the pole on the wall of the town. She ran into the training grounds quickly to grab her mother’s scimitar and shield to surf on. If Avel could run that fast on foot, surely Olivia would be able to catch up to him on the sand.


“Go, Olivia!” Ashani shouted as she held onto the shield to sand-surf. Olivia barked in excitement before diving into the sand and pulling Ashani along faster than she’d ever done before. Ashani almost laughed, but then, she realized that she was going somewhere new, and she’d most likely be leaving her old life behind and starting a new one. 


As she came closer and closer to Avel, she reached out her hand to him. He turned around and narrowed his eyes, flicking his hand to her. A cloud of malice erupted underneath her shield, throwing Ashani up into the air. Olivia yelped and ducked back under the sand, probably burrowing her way to Gerudo Town.


“Don’t kill me!” Ashani shouted, as a surge of anger passed through her. Would Avel really try to hurt her? Was he just warning her about the malice? It had to be that. But deep down, Ashani knew that it wasn’t that. Avel had really just tried to kill her.


She gripped her mother’s stone in her hands. Really, it was her stone now, since it had changed form from a charm to a stone from her dream. But she knew that she could use it.


Just focus all your energy on it…


Lightning struck Avel, and Ashani closed her eyes. It was too painful to watch. But when she opened them, Avel was gone.


Well, he got away now. But soon…I’ll catch him. I’ll figure out what he’s up to.


Just then, Ashani saw her hand turning blue. It dissolved and she gasped. 


And just before she saw black, she wondered how she could have helped Hyrule if she’d killed Avel before he could get away.



“I still don’t believe it…”


“Well, a Gerudo girl in our village is a great feat! I think we deserve to welcome her when she wakes up!”


If she wakes up…”


“Mirrin!”


Ashani opened her eyes wearily to two Rito standing in front of her. “Wha-?”


“See? Told ya!” one of the Rito, the girl, said.


“Ugh, Nyssa…” the boy groaned. “Now I have another annoying copy of you that won’t stop talking!”


“Uh, sorry about my brother!” the girl said. “I’m Nyssa, and that’s Mirrin. He’s a little…grumpy…today.”


“I AM NOT!” Mirrin protested.


“We’re two of the triplet children of Revali, so Mirrin thinks he can say anything and get away with it. Well, not with me around!” Nyssa yelled at Mirrin, who rolled his eyes.


“We’ve waited enough. Can we get going now?” Mirrin groaned.


“Yeah,” Nyssa said. “What’s your name, Gerudo girl?”


“Ashani,” Ashani said.


“Well, Ashani, get ready. We’re going on a journey to save Sky, the princess of Hyrule. Oh, and, did I mention that we’re going to defeat evil while we’re at it?” Nyssa held up a stone, which glowed purple.


“The triforce of power!” Ashani gasped. “I learned about it in school…but to see it in real life…wow.”


“And you have the Stone of Fury, right?” Nyssa pressed.


“Yeah.” I held up the stone.


“So then, we’re a fourth of the way there!” Mirrin exclaimed, his bad mood lifting.


“To what?” I asked.


“Well, to stopping the Calamity, right?” Nyssa asked.


“Um…”


“Oh, you didn’t know? We’re Hyrule warriors, Ashani, and we’re destined to save our land!”

June 22, 2022 18:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Vera Vuscoe
23:15 Jun 22, 2022

Who else is obsessed with Zelda lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.