77 comments

East Asian Fiction Sad

"The journey mate"

By: Syed Nasim Aejaz Ashk


They were about two hundred and fifty in number and constantly flying at high speeds towards the destination. The intensity of hunger and thirst had exhausted their body strength to a great extent, but ignoring their surroundings and fatigue they were flying at lightning speed. Though he was also tired, but in view of the fear that his companions might lose the courage, he was showing a little too much self-confidence, hence, he eventually increased his speed gradually, neglecting the intensity of his own hunger and thirst. He and his companions had to reach their destination before the sun sets. And now the time was very short, so his companions were accompanying him without any hesitation. They passed over the greenery beneath the blue dome flying high in the sky, having no idea how many rivers, ponds, fields, forests and deserts they had crossed. Their flock was reflecting the beautiful scenery, and it seemed as if a triangular shape white muslin sheet had flown to arrive from somewhere to join the floating pieces of the clouds in the sky. It was a caravan of Siberian Crane (snow birds) that, like every year, left its homeland this year and was heading for its temporary abode. As usual, the host country's typical winter climate was waiting for their arrival. In lucent and calm atmosphere the afternoon sun rays were casting layers of light beams directly on the ground. The bent branches of turbulent coconut trees were welcoming the new guests under throb of winds. The tree leaves were scattered melody in the gusts of wind to greet the new dwellers. 

Suddenly the sound of a blast echoed in the quiet and calm atmosphere. When he looked back, he saw some of his companions missing in the caravan. Before he could aware of the situation, the same blast sounded again, now what he saw made his heart skip a beat. There was chaos below and all his companions doused in blood were moaning in agony on the ground. As he tried to divert his flight towards his wounded comrades, his eyes fell on the hunters headlong run towards the birds, they had guns slung over their shoulders and their eyes were gleaming in greed. There was a triumphant smile on their face. As soon as they reached the injured birds, they swayed with joy. For a while, they watched their prey carefully. Their face was devoid of emotion like compassion and sincerity. Then they started arguing among themselves. Probably there was a discussion on the issue of who will get how much, which lastly took the form of a scuffle.

He did not want to leave his comrades alone in this sudden calamity and that is why he was circling in the sky. When he did not find any way to save his comrades, with a broken heart he flew into a corner, but now he had no destination and the flight was not as fast as before.

Flying aimlessly, he flew far away from the place. The mournful screams of his comrades had paralyzed his mind till now, even his arms were not supporting him. In such a situation, he took a long flight and sat on the highest branch of the coconut tree and began to examine his surroundings by twisting his neck. It was as if he was complaining about the cruelty and savagery of the human being. Everything there was an equal partner in the grief of the mournful bird. The trees bent their branches in embarrassment. The wind was fluttering its wings and advising him to reach his destination, helping him to forget the tragic event. But to which destination now ......? For what purpose....? He wanted to get to his destination before dusk. It all ended in an instant and he was left completely alone in the world of anxiety, his heart wanted to cry out loud and he did so, but his voice dropped in the throat. He raised his head and looked at the sun, but the sun, which was the prime witness of this massacre, was bowing its head in remorse and gradually disappearing from sight perhaps the sun was also ashamed of the extreme of this open cruelty and barbarism of human being. There was a stinging question in the eyes of the innocent bird: What was their fault….?     

A traveler who has set out on a journey away from his homeland in search of happiness is being rewarded by mankind with an unforgettable sorrow. Their innocent hearts are pierced with the dagger of savagery so much that it becomes a fistula and does not leave them all their lives. The human beings have no right to be called a noble creature of this earth.

The cold sighs of the mournful birds echoed in the sky and saddened the atmosphere. Suddenly there was a loud explosion. In the confusion, the bird flew at high altitudes. When he looked down, another shaking scene was there in front of his eyes. The coaches of a passenger train were blown up and human limbs were scattered all around. The injured passengers were moaning in pain. Then he saw some people running towards the accident spot. They were probably from nearby villages. Firstly the villagers reached the spot and then silently began to examine it as like as the hunters had done few moments ago. The similar previous situation began to repeat which started with a hot altercation on the point that who will get how much from the valuables of the injured passengers, thereafter, the accident spot turned into a battle field.

Suddenly the bird was shocked to see that his companions, in between the wounded passengers, groaning from their wounds, and similarly, among the villagers, the hunters are also laughing and clapping their hands. 

The fate of both travellers was the same. Perhaps the unfortunate passengers were not destined to reach their destination. With broken heart and painful feelings the bird flew to an unknown destination. 


October 12, 2020 00:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

77 comments

Md Ali
14:09 Oct 22, 2020

Superbly written on the subject of migratory bird, touching the heart and exposing the cruelty of human to human and others.

Reply

14:13 Oct 22, 2020

Thank you Ali Bhai

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:20 Oct 21, 2020

Waah!This is marvelous

Reply

Shaila Akhter
17:39 Oct 21, 2020

Thank yoy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shaila Akhter
17:40 Oct 21, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Lydi B
18:49 Oct 23, 2020

I felt for this poor bird witnessing such cruelty during a transitory time. You have a beautiful way of describing emotion and feeling. I was hoping the ending would be the villagers helping the accident victims, but you instead nailed the cruelty which isn't always turned onto other creatures. All that said, I will say this could do with some proofreading and clarity in places. Certain descriptions were redundant, such as how the birds were constantly flying at high speeds in the beginning. I was a bit confused by the sentence at the end...

Reply

19:53 Oct 23, 2020

I am grateful to you for your constructive criticism. I will try to follow your suggestion in my next prompt. Thank you once again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nafia Zahidi
17:51 Oct 23, 2020

Nice

Reply

19:59 Oct 23, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sonali Ghosh
16:01 Oct 23, 2020

gr888

Reply

20:43 Oct 23, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
SHRUTI KUMARI
15:56 Oct 23, 2020

Very nice

Reply

20:00 Oct 23, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anjali Kumari
15:46 Oct 23, 2020

Nice story 👌

Reply

20:44 Oct 23, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:02 Oct 23, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Farheen Gulnar
15:19 Oct 23, 2020

Nice

Reply

20:00 Oct 23, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shumaila Akhtar
15:00 Oct 23, 2020

Marvellous story

Reply

20:00 Oct 23, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nazia Moin
10:30 Oct 23, 2020

Supria Roy Chowdhury after reading this story posted his comments on face book in your time line...."The lucid style and simple words in the end convey the boldest message the world needs at this very moment. The perfect example of colonial litrature with other colonial motifs and a proud representation of Indian philosophical thoughts. A grate read". I am thank full to you for such a nice story.

Reply

10:37 Oct 23, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Puja Sahay
04:38 Oct 23, 2020

Beautiful story

Reply

05:55 Oct 23, 2020

Thank you Puja Di

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Md Osman Ali
14:48 Oct 22, 2020

Nice story on the perspective of migrant birds and the human cruelty

Reply

Show 0 replies
Syed Affan
12:51 Oct 22, 2020

Nice

Reply

13:33 Oct 22, 2020

thank you Affan

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amin Ahmed
18:49 Oct 21, 2020

Loved the story it is about the migrating birds and human beigns.

Reply

13:34 Oct 22, 2020

thank you Amin

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:47 Oct 21, 2020

I loved the giving and intellectually intelligent philosophy of Mr. Aejaz.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rasheeqa Jabeen
18:44 Oct 21, 2020

Nice story!

Reply

18:47 Oct 21, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jordan Michael
18:34 Oct 21, 2020

Never heard such an emotional story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:32 Oct 21, 2020

Savage, best story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zafar Ahmed
18:31 Oct 21, 2020

It's his swagger.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Reashma Khan
18:23 Oct 21, 2020

This was probably the most emotional story.

Reply

18:28 Oct 21, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:32 Oct 21, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.