It Is Just Different

Written in response to: Write about a character who finds Valentine’s Day sickly sweet.... view prompt

12 comments

Contemporary Suspense Teens & Young Adult

I find myself rolling my eyes at the scene. This whole gathering and calling out names aren’t my thing. Seeing who gets which presents from whom doesn’t sit well with me. I am not sure why I don’t enjoy it. ‘Maybe because you’ve never received any gift before.’ I shake my head as if to deny the fact.


Seeing me shaking my head out of the blue, Cecilia comes close to me and whispers near my ears, “Excited to see from whom you will get a chocolate?”


I mentally roll my eyes at her. She doesn’t need to whisper. It isn’t like others will hear her anyway. After all, we are in the lecture hall, which, at the moment, is quite noisy by the roaring of the exhilarating students. I push her away as I say rather loud, “No, I want this to end as soon as possible!”  


Cecilia laughs hysterically. “Awwn, Jenna can’t wait to receive a gift. Everyone!!! Jenna can’t wait….”


“Shhh, shut up.” I quickly cover her mouth with my hands.


“What? You just shouted out loud,” Cecilia says, her voice is muffled by my hands still covering her mouth.


I glare at her. “But you’re saying nonsense.” Cecilia moves her eyebrows up and down, teasing me and probably trying to get a reaction out of me. I let go of my hands from her mouth, saying, “I am serious, Cecilia. I want this to start and end quickly. I have to finish my math homework exactly at 4 p.m. before the library closes.”


This time, she rolls her eyes and gives me the are-you-serious look. I sigh. I knows that she and I are going to rebuke each other, and this cycle will not end till the sky turns dark.


I wait for her retort, but instead, she is busy drooling over something. Her eyes sparkle as she looks at the entrance of the hall.


There they come,’ I say internally.


Five figures, three girls and two boys, enter the hall in all their glory. They're heading towards the stage that lies at the very front of the lecture hall. Their strides make me wonder if they think themselves as the While House members. The hands of the three girls wrap around the pink baskets. Even from afar, I could see chocolate boxes with folded papers tied at their backs. Behind the girls, the two boys are waving their hands at the students. It is no surprise for me that the Student Council will take a lead in everything which sounds absolutely ridiculous, like this celebration of Valentine's Day.


“Hello everyone, I’m Jonathan and I’m here with the other council members,” Jonathan says, using the mike. His voice is deep and clear, making the whole hall fall silent. The teachers scoff at that. Sitting not far away from them, I can hear our Science Teacher, Mr. Simon, says, “They don’t pay attention to me even when I am holding a stick. But look at them now. Their attention is completely on him.” All the teachers agree with him as they nod their heads in amusement. Ms. Violet, our English teacher, lets out a knowing laugh at his remark.


“As you all know, today is Valentine's Day. So HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!” Jonathan raises his voice at the end, like an announcer of Got Talent. And all the students make a loud sound, “HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!” The boys bang their hands on the desks, not caring if their hands cause any damages to school facilities. It is their sign of showing anticipation. The girls nearly jump up from their chairs as they scream on top of their lungs. If someone passes by the hall, he might think that a wild party is being held inside.


“Like every year, we hold a special event on Feb 14,” Jonathan keeps saying while the other council members are preparing for the soon-to-happen event behind him. “Last week, we announced on our website that anyone could come to us and give the name of someone they are in love with, and tell us which presents they want to give.”


He points toward the plush toys and sickly-cute boxes laid on the floor of the stage as he says, “These are the gifts especially given by the givers. Apart from those, every receiver will receive chocolate. And a Paper, in which, the feelings for him or her are written.”


At that, the boys cheer while the girls pretend like they don’t like the ‘Paper’ part. Cecilia squeals at me as she says, “Omg! Jenna, this will be the best day of my life.”


I want to roll my eyes at everyone including Cecilia, but for the sake of my eyeballs, I suppress it. I said sarcastically, “Yay. What an unforgettable day.”


Cecilia doesn’t seem to care my sarcasm because she says, "Yes! Today will be unforgettable both for me and you. Who says we won’t get any chocolate, right?”


I force a smile and she grins. Her grin is so wide that the tips of her lips are reaching her ears.


“There is an exception in this year’s Valentine's day,” Jonathan continues as he walks around on the stage. He is definitely talking like a TED speaker, but it is giving me a headache to watch him moving from side to side. “In the previous years, the council members call out the names and read the papers. But this year, we will call out the names, of course. But the papers will be read by the givers themselves!” Like before, Jonathan raises his voice at the end of his speech.


The boys shout and the girls yell. It is quite annoying. "They gave their crush's name to the Student Council, but they're acting like they don’t want to read the papers themselves when they are the ones that wrote their feeling down on the papers. Damn people!" I cursed I inwardly.


Everyone is still in their personal chaos while Jonathan approaches the three girls with the pink baskets at the back of the stage. His friend is standing at the front roll of the students. In his hands is the camera ready to record everything that is going to take place.


“Ahem.” With a single cough and Jonathan gets everyone’s attention. I whisper to Cecilia, "If only they pay their attention to the lectures like right now, I am sure our school will score No.1 of all the best schools in the world." This time, Cecilia rolls her eyes.


Scanning the crowd with a smile on his face, Jonathan picks up a random chocolate box, then slowly and carefully, he separates the paper from it. The paper’s rustling sound can be heard through the mike he is holding. Having read the paper, Jonathan places the mike near his mouth. His eyes hold amusement as he says quite softly, “It is written, 'To My Dear Rachel'.”


The cheering and clapping coming from the students, especially from boys, pierce through the four walls. The boys are already calling out his friend, who has given the gift to Rachel, while the girls are congratulating the girl named Rachel. By the time my eyes get to its normal position after rolling out of annoyance, Rachel and Steven are already on the stage.


After Rachel takes the chocolate bar and a Penguin plush toy with her expression so proud, Steven makes himself ready to read through the mike what he has written for her. They’re acting like Romeo and Juliet, except that what is written in the paper sounds noting like Shakespeare’s play. For my ears, what Steven has written sounds like a copy and a craft from Google.


“I wonder who will be the next?” says Jonathan while his other hand is reaching out to the chocolate bars in one of the baskets. I see Cecilia squealing as she clasps her hands as if praying to the Love Angels to grant her one wish she has been having for a long time. I hope she doesn’t feel dejected by the end of this whole stupid event. As I look around my surrounding, I realize that Cecilia isn’t the only one who is expecting chocolate from some fancy boys. 


“If you want a chocolate so much, I can buy you one when the school is over,” I say to Cecilia.


“You're so sweet, Jenna, but it is different, you know. Even if the gift is the same, the feeling is different depending on the person who gives the gift.”


“Does it mean that I’m no one?” 


“No, it isn’t like that. I know you love me and I love you too. But you’re my friend.”


 “So?” I ask her, raising my eyebrows. I don’t really catch what she is trying to say. If I give her the present she wants, why would it be different when she receives the same gift from the others?


“Well,” she pauses, probably not knowing how to explain what she wants to say. “I don’t know, Jenna. It is just different. I think it is like I want something that feels different."


“What?” 


“Just forget it. Please, stay with me till the end of the event. You love me, right?” Cecilia says as she bats her eyelashes and looks at me with puppy eyes.


I sigh. Today is going to be a long, long day.

February 18, 2022 07:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Eric D.
15:40 Feb 22, 2022

Aw I wonder if there is some hidden feelings between the friends, so much underlining emotions. Love the way Jonathan hyping everyone up for the event, and how you show the importance for everyone. I totally remember this from high school! Brings back happy memories of secret vday gifts giving. Great short story!

Reply

Johana Htwe
23:43 Feb 23, 2022

Hi Eric, thank you so much for your comment. This is the most genuine comment I've ever received and this makes me so happy. I am glad I bring back some old good memories. Although it is quite late to say, "Happy Valentine's Day"

Reply

Eric D.
04:03 Feb 24, 2022

Never too late! Happy valentines day!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:24 Feb 18, 2022

the anticipation of this story is amazing, and the tension between the narrator and Celia is delightful!

Reply

Johana Htwe
11:54 Feb 21, 2022

Thanks for reading and for your remark, Hannah.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McCampbell Molly
15:09 Mar 07, 2022

Oh, what it is to be young. Love the drama.

Reply

Johana Htwe
00:37 Mar 09, 2022

☺️ Young and free from stress. Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keya J.
03:55 Feb 19, 2022

Hello Johana, how are you? It's been long since I've heard from you and it's good to finally read a story of yours. I loved how you've constructed the whole event, triggering the imagination. I really laughed at the whole 'eyeball rolling' significance; it really brings out the story. The way of narration is absolutely amazing and intriguing. Good to see you back in writing. Have a great day!

Reply

Johana Htwe
11:57 Feb 21, 2022

Hi Keya, I see you and hear you. I don't and won't forget you. Thanks for reading and for your encouraging comment. You too, keep writing. I see a lot of potential in your stories.

Reply

Keya J.
12:02 Feb 21, 2022

Tell me what happened. Maybe not here. But at least reply. I'll be waiting...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Francis Daisy
13:18 Feb 18, 2022

This is my favorite line: "Her grin is so wide that the tips of her lips are reaching her ears." - I can picture that smile so easily! This story is so relatable! We've all been there, sitting and waiting for the Valentine that never comes. The flowers that never arrive. The phone call that doesn't ring. We've all had this experience and that is what made your story feel so real. Cecilia's hope that this year would be different, and yet the narrator's resigned acceptance that the day was going to be like any other day, but friends and frie...

Reply

Johana Htwe
11:55 Feb 21, 2022

Hi Francis, this comment makes me happy for sure. Thank you for reading too. I hope you had a Happy Valentine's day.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.