0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

Planet tellus is earth’s twin but was born almost 800 years later. Rubi Isle on tellus was a prosperous land due to plentiful agriculture and swarming fish. Taverns were largely patronised and one of them was owned by Irma, a woman about 30.

One of the citizens of RI was housewife Violi whose husband Bingo owned a farm producing vegetables and fruit. Viola’s house needed some repairs and Bingo being lazy to attend to it, she decided to take action. She knew Irma the tavern owner would help as tradesmen would gather in her tavern. It was early for the tavern to open at that hour and she knew she could talk freely to Irma. As she neared the tavern she heard Irma’s loud voice and stood listening out of sight

IRMA: Floria I again say I won’t allow your husband here till he clears his bills which are 3 months overdue. I threw him out last evening and you come asking me to reverse the decision.

FLORIS: Irma you know my husband works for Trez the richest landlord in RI. He has blocked wages of my husband for absenting himself though for right reasons. I know Trez will be stern but will settle. My husband will pay you.

IRMA: That Trez is an idiot. Do you know that his wife is openly having an affair with mediator Escro?

FLORIA: I didn’t know it. I agree Trez is a fool. But he does pay arrears. Please allow my husband to the tavern.

IRMA: I’ll think about it.

Floria went out of the tavern when Violi entered.

IRMA: Violi, the tavern hasn’t opened. It is early.

VIOLI: I haven’t come for drinks. I’ve known you for so long. I need a favour. I want somebody competent to rectify my roof.

IRMA (laughs): A lazy husband I can understand! These workmen come in regularly. I’ll send someone to your place.

VIOLI: Thanks Irma. I’ll come another time for drinks.

Violi reached her home to find her husband Bingo sharpening his tools.

VIOLI: You don’t do any work for our home. I had to go looking for someone to repair our roof.

BINGO: You can see I’m at work.

VIOLI: Alright. I went to Irma’s tavern and have some news. You know landlord Trez very well.

BINGO: Of course I do.

VIOLI: Did you know that his wife is having an affair openly with mediator Escro?

BINGO: What do I care? That is his business.

VIOLI: Why don’t you tip Trez off about his wife’s affair?

BINGO (laughing):I can’t do it. You know he has helped me to recover when there was a slump in my farm trade. If I tip him off I’ll only be antagonizing him and splitting his family. What do I care if the woman plays around?

VIOLI: In our land people have lost their morals. It is spreading. How would you like it if I find a lover?

BINGO: I definitely wouldn’t like it.

VIOLI: Then you must tip off Trez.

BINGO: How do I do it? Walk in suddenly and tell him? Trez can become furious and assault me. I’ve told you he can go for a person’s jugular if he is provoked.

VIOLI: I didn’t know you would be so scared to face a man and tell him the truth. I would do it if I were a man.

BINGO: I’ll think it over and discuss it with you.

VIOLI: Don’t I know you? You’ll do nothing....... You aren’t involved with the woman. Can you not walk up to Trez and say what you have to?

BINGO: I feel embarrassed to say something bad to a friend about his wife.

VIOLI: You’re simply saying that you lack guts.

Bingo and Violi had dinner that evening and went to bed. He reached for her when she turned away.

BINGO: What has happened to you? You normally cooperate.

VIOLI: I now realise what a gutless man you are.

BINGO: You must cooperate.

VIOLI: Find someone else for it.

BINGO: See the condition I’m in? I’m desperate for you.

VIOLI: Access denied till you go and tell Trez that his wife is having an affair with Escro.

BINGO: Can I not leave it saying she is playing around?

VIOLI: No No. You must say she is having an affair with Escro. Trez knows Escro.

BINGO: It may result in Trez attacking me.

VIOLI: As I said you aren’t man enough but are seeking me in bed. Access denied.

There was silence for a while.

BINGO: Alright. I’ll do it though I’ll feel ashamed of what I’m doing.

VIOLI: You don’t have to be. You’ll be telling the truth.

BINGO: After I do it I know Trez will no longer be my friend.

VIOLI: May be but morality triumphs.

BINGO: I’ll surely lose a good friend.

VIOLI: No harm. If he recognises that you’ve told the truth he would be happy.

BINGO: We’ve spoken too long. My need is pressing. See I can’t wait any more.”

VIOLI: Now that you’ve made the promise to do what I wanted, you can....

BINGO: No further words.

After a while.

VIOLI: You were in such a hurry! Didn’t respect my needs. And remember if you don’t do what you’ve promised I’ll find a lover for myself.

Two days later Bingo walked into Trez’s house. His wife wasn’t at home.

Bingo sat silently wondering how to say what he had to.

BINGO: Trez, I just came to ask you about the mediator Escro.

TREZ: I know him very well. A very intelligent and learned man.

BINGO: They say.... they say....

TREZ: What do they say?

BINGO: I mean that he is a womanizer and no woman is safe with him.

TREZ: That is sheer nonsense. It is known that he is no good in bed and that is why he didn’t get married. Even my wife moves freely with him. In work he has been fair and decisive and his findings have made certain litigants lose. I know they allege many things about him. My wife says rumours about him are untrue. I believe her.

Bingo breathed a sigh of relief.

BINGO: Someone known to me asked the truth about Escro since there’re many things said about him. I thought I would check with you. I’ve some work and have to go. I’ll come again.

Back home Bingo told Violi of his talk with Trez.

She said “I’m shocked. Wizma the witch told me Escro had produced a baby through a gypsy girl.

VIOLI (to herself): My parents had proposed Escro to me in marriage but he had turned me down saying I wasn’t attractive. I thought Trez would grievously assault Escro. But all he did was as they say literally shoot the messenger!

END

September 27, 2022 03:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.