1 comment

Creative Nonfiction Fantasy Fiction

***These names may sound familiar but the story and the characters are all fiction. 

Clouds of flour filled the space and covered different parts of their bodies. The shop’s windows were open to the eternal-Summer breeze. People that walked by would look in quickly, entranced by the smell and vibe, but nervous to actually go in. 

            Lucifer walked around the space in his white attire and black apron. He moved a pan from the counter to the oven. His forehead had small beads formed on his head, not from the 450-degree heat. The pounding beside him became a calming rhythm to keep his thoughts at the moment.  

            “Your nerves are written all of your face, Lucifer. What is up with you?”

            He came around the counter and stood across from her as she continued to knead the bread. He watched her hands work in precision as they had for many years. He was thankful to have her there to help him bring this moment together. 

            “Lilith, I don’t know if he will come,” he finally answered. “And this is a big deal. I want all of this to work out.”

            Lilith covered the dough and washed her hands in the sink next to the fridge. She replaced some of the treats on display. 

            “You two are family. I don’t see why he wouldn’t come. He knows this is important to you. You have always been there for anything he has ever done.”

            “But that hasn’t always gone as planned.”

            One of the timers rang out telling them to check on another pastry. Lilith held up a hand to Lucifer while she went to the back. She yelled something from the back, but he couldn’t make it out. His ears were ringing, and her voice was muffled. She was soon swiftly moving from the back to the from with a tray full of rainbow-frosted cupcakes. She put one in Lucifer’s hand and kissed his cheek. 

            “You’re super cute when you get nervous, you know that?” She winked at him. 

            She continued to bake and clean as she went. Lucifer was still stuck in thought from the fear of seeing his family again. He made his eyes follow Lilith. She had known all of them their entire lives. She was a very special woman.

            He took a deep breath. “What if he is upset or jealous even?”

            “Why would he be jealous? And since when does Jesus get jealous?”

            “You two do have history. There is no denying that.”

            She stopped what she was doing and stared at him. She tilted her head as he hipped popped to the side. Frustration filled her body and she huffed out loud. Once again, she disappeared in the back for a few minutes. She brought two small glasses and a bottle of rosé with her. She poured them both half a glass and then took a swig from the bottle. The clang of the class touching the counter filled the thick air. 

            “We barely dated. Any of them. Do you not remember what your Father did? How He made sure that I knew I was not good enough for him? Or your other brother?” Her chuckled was full of a dark memory that she would never shake. 

            He got up and came around behind her. He put his arms around his waist as he grabbed his glass. Her head fell back on his chest. He placed a soft kiss on her cheek and then her forehead. He downed his drink in one go. He usually didn’t drink, but today it was needed. 

            Lilith pulled herself away from his grasps and turned to him.

            “I wish you would stop worrying about what they think. I am here with you. Helping you complete your dream.”

            “You’re right. And it doesn’t matter if he comes.”

            “Correct. This is for you. Not him. Not your Father.”

            “He just thinks that I am leading people astray again. And this isn’t going to help them.”

            Lilith shook her head and rolled her eyes. She moved away from Lucifer to grab the finished tray from the oven. Lucifer took his apron off even though he was not done with getting everything ready. 

            Lilith laid fresh cookies on a serving tray. “He made everything so how is it wrong?”

Lilith grabbed a fresh apple to cut up. She looked at it and at Lucifer and shook her head again dismissing the question she had asked him. 

            “He still gets upset with my choices. I want people to enjoy life.”

            “I know, my love. Even if it may not seem like it, he is all-loving regardless of the path you take.”

            The chime of the front door dinged. In walked Cain and Abel.

            Cain hugged Lucifer and Lilith while Abel grabbed a fresh cranberry tart. He nodded his head by way of a greeting and sat at an empty table. He kicked his legs on top of the table and took a bite out of the tart. Crumbs now coated his chin and his shirt. 

            Cain pushed his brother’s legs off of the table before grabbing a tray from Lilith. “How are the preparations going? Do you guys need any help?”

            “Don’t ask me,” Abel mumbles.

            “Cain, I don’t know how people think you’re the bad one,” Lilith says.

            “Just depends on who is telling the story.”

            “Doesn’t it always.”

            Abel stood up and dumped the crumbs on the floor. Lucifer pushed the broom into Abel’s chest. “You may not help, but you will not make a mess.”

            “Unc, I am here for emotional support.”

            “Where is your dad?

            Abel started sweeping up the mess he made. “He should be arriving with mom and Uncle Jesus later I think.”

            Lucifer’s heart began to race. Abel’s eyes glowed to menace and a smile snaked across his mouth.

“Why do you look so nervous, Unc? I would figure Aunt Lilith would be the most nervous. As you know - she has a history with both. How is tending those wombs auntie?”

“Abel, if I wasn’t kneading this bread, my hand would smack you across the face. Watch your mouth.” 

Abel chuckled as he emptied the crumbs in the trash. 

Cain was setting the table when he wiped the sweat from his forehead. “Uncle, did you have to choose to live at one of the hottest places on earth?”

Lucifer laughed, “I don’t know I feel comfortable here. But listen y’all. This is a huge deal. I want everything to go perfectly. I know Father is watching.” 

“When isn’t he?” Abel huffed. 

Lucifer wiped off any dust that may have been on his clothes. He looked around the shop, pleased with what it looked like. 

“Since the last great family blowout, I do want to show them that I made the right decision. That this can be good for people too.”

Lilith fussed again, “Lucifer, let it go. Everyone has moved on. You don’t have to prove yourself to anyone.”

“Well, I kinda do when it comes to Him.”

They all nodded except Lilith.

            An hour later, the shop was full of people trying out the different pastries and bakery items. Humans finally started to walk in versus looking from the outside. Their eyes lit up trying things they had never tasted before.

            Adam and Eve arrived halfway through the grand opening with fresh herbs from their travels. Adam advised Lucifer to steep them for everyone to enjoy. Lucifer was working the room making sure everyone was enjoying themselves when the chime of the front door rang out again. He didn’t turn, expecting it to be another person.

            The crowd started to make their way to the front of the store to get a look at who had just arrived. Lilith came up beside Lucifer and placed her hand in his. She squeezed tight. He took a deep breath and turned around to see his brother, Jesus, signing people’s shirt hems. He fought the urge to roll his eyes, but Lilith did not. 

            Moses was with Jesus. When he saw Lucifer, he parted the people to make a clear path for Jesus to maneuver to his brother. Jesus was dressed in all black. A silk tunic and chinos with low-cut boots. He smirked at Lucifer. When he reached his brother, he held out his hand to him.

            Lucifer rubbed his palm on his white pants before shaking his brother’s hands. Jesus stood beside him and took in the scene of his brother’s shop. His eyes glowed. 

            “This looks good, Luci.” Lucifer hadn’t heard that nickname in a long time. He always loved when his little brother said it. His heart swelled.

            “Thank you, Jesus. I am very happy you were able to make it.”

            Jesus turned to him slightly and stared at Lucifer’s face. Lucifer side glanced at him.

            “Luci, I wouldn’t miss your grand opening. I am proud of you. I don’t know how sweets will work with humans though. The way their eyes glow, I haven’t seen that for a long time.” He looked back at the crowd.

            “I know. I think it is time for them to stop being so salty.”

            “Hmph.”

            They both smiled at the people eating cupcakes, cookies, donuts, and tarts for their very first time. Unsure of what the future held for them, Lucifer saw the joy in their freedom of choice and delight in the unknown. This gave him the greatest achievement in his lifetime.

January 29, 2022 04:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Nicole Backal
14:00 Feb 03, 2022

This is a very creative concept. The colloquialisms intermixed with higher language are a bit jarring. I would set the scene better because it is hard to understand the setting, making it hard to enjoy the premise. Good job! Very creative story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.