Fault and Credibility

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Set your story in a Gothic manor house.... view prompt

5 comments

Drama Kids Inspirational

A deafening crash resounded off the reaching ceiling to shoot its way through the wide open French doors. Molly’s sparkly black shoes were rooted to the polished marble floor. She listened. The knowing gazes of the gargoyle-themed wall sconces were intimidating enough, but anyone in the vicinity of the drafty sitting room would have heard. 

Sure enough, two tapping pairs of footsteps skidded to a stop just outside the doors. The young boys, her older brother and cousin, stood gaping; first at Molly, then at the shattered remains of Nana Jameera’s vase.

Molly dropped her eyes, whimpering. A tiny mew sounded from the gray kitten in her arms. With the minefield of broken pottery littered by her feet, she dared not let the animal down to cut its delicate paws.

Her brother sucked in a lengthy breath. “Nana’s vase...I’m telling Mama you broke it!”

When the boy turned, his cousin, Benji, caught his arm.

“Danny, look-it.”

Danny pulled his arm free but did as instructed. He took in the sight of his baby sister in her frilly lavender dress. Her wide eyes which peeked out from dark curls glistened in the sunlight reaching between the thick drapes. 

Danny shrugged a shoulder. “Yeah, she broke it.”

“No,” Benji said, “really look.”

An exasperated sigh shot through Danny’s nostrils. He afforded his now sniveling sister another once-over. Peeking out from the lace around her neck, encompassed by chubby arms, was a ball of gray fluff.

“So? It’s just Ayla.”

“She’s saving the cat from the broken stuff.”

Danny shoved Benji, getting louder. “So what? It’s Molly’s fault she can’t put the cat down now.”

The two were arguing their points, making wild gestures and punctuating comments with grunts.

Molly toed a shard of hand-painted decor; a woman’s elegant face severed across the shoulder. A teardrop splattered on the floor beside it, and her nose sniffled. “I...didn’t...mean…”

Somehow, her sniveling traveled over the tirade ten feet from her.

Danny said, “So what if you didn’t mean it?” He came closer, nudging aside smaller pieces of the vase which once stood taller than himself. “Mama told you not to play in here—”

Benji snatched Danny’s shirt this time. “She’s already crying. It was a accident.”

“She still has to get punished. Mama’ll be so mad!”

“You’re just mad because Molly caught you playing ball in the library and told!”

“So?”

While the two boys dissolved into shouting fits, Molly hid her face in Ayla’s warm fur. A deeper voice with a kiss of the Scottish Isles called from the entryway flanked by twin eagle sculptures.

“Young masters, if you would allow me a moment?”

The boys fell silent. All the children turned to witness their straight-backed, balding butler, Percy, standing in the sunlight flowing through the floor-to-ceiling window behind him. The mid-fifties fellow picked cautious steps around the rubble, reaching his arms with an amiable smile.

Molly clutched her kitten with one arm, stretching the other out to Percy. She was lifted from the center of her mistake, rubbing her eyes as she was carried toward the safety of the drawing room. She just barely caught Percy instructing the boys to follow. 

On a normal day, she would be too afraid to run through this particular doorway with its stalactite-style accents dripping from the ceiling. Her brother had whispered to her that they could fall on her at any moment. Nestled in the security of Percy’s sturdy arms, she didn’t even lift her eyes to the black structures.

Once they were all standing on the pristine rug beside the reflective ebony piano, Percy cleared his throat.

“Now, young masters, I believe some harsh words were said.” Gently crinkling eyes scanned the faces of the two boys. Benji’s fell to study his shoes.

Danny’s lips thinned as he held eye contact with his superior. He blurted, “Molly broke Nana’s vase!”

Percy’s mouth came open, feigning shock. “Was that the meaning of that fractured mess?”

Molly turned her eyes into Percy’s chest, whimpering. Percy removed the kitten from her and set it down on a chair, still hugging the distraught toddler.

“Yeah,” Danny said. “She was playing in there and knocked it over, just like Mama said not to!”

Percy said, “You witnessed this, master Daniel?”

“Well...we saw her standing there after the crash.”

“I see.” Percy’s voice was even and calm, and a tiny smile creased by his cheek. “Master Benji? Have you anything to add to this accusation?”

Benji’s hands were soldered to the sides of his trousers. He sucked on his bottom lip, giving a strained glance upward through lowered lashes.

“I saw her with the cat. She looked scared.”

“And what do you think would have scared her?”

Benji shook his head. Danny interrupted with, “I said she broke the vase.”

“I am listening to you, young sir. All of you. We have yet to hear from one party.”

Both boys stared at Percy’s gently lifting moustache. He patted a hand on Molly’s back.

“Young miss, could you please tell us what happened?”

Danny opened his mouth to protest, but Percy directed the first stern glance in the boy’s direction.

“Young miss?” Percy repeated.

Molly wiped a tiny hand across her eyes. She turned her puffy cheeks to regard her brother. Fixed accusation impaled her. Her voice caught before she muttered, “I saw Ayla in der…”

“Yes,” Percy said in an even calmer tone. “Go on.”

Molly slid a glance to her cousin who gave the slightest of nods.

“ ‘N she...Ayla, she”—sniffle—“was by da”—several sniffles and a whimper—“da vase. She jumped and was falling in…”

Danny’s furrowed brow loosened a degree. He watched the gray powderpuff in question jump to the floor.

Molly said, “I tried to, and...an…”

Percy finished her statement. “And the vase toppled over with you hanging off it?”

A tiny squeak and a nod was Molly’s reply. Her lips trembled and she squinted her eyes shut.

“See?” Danny said, “she broke it.”

Percy lowered the child to the floor, patted her head once, and smiled when she clung to his leg to peek at her brother with a frown.

“Master Daniel, I must inquire. What would you have me do about this?”

“Tell Mama! I was already gonna do it.”

“Tell her what? That young miss here risked injury to save her kitten from getting trapped in the vase?”

“Well…” Danny trailed off.

“Or that young miss cared more for an irreplaceable life than a piece of decor adorning nearly every room in your Pop’s estate?”

Benji hid a smile while Danny shuffled a toe into a mauve paisley design on the rug.

Ignoring his cracking knees, Percy dropped to sit on the rug. “Indulge me, please.” He patted the floor and eyed each of the wary glances. Molly sat beside him while the boys plopped in front. All young eyes studied the butler as if fearing some collective punishment for the deed.

Percy said, “What we have here is a perfect example of perception versus truth. Do you know what that means?”

Each child shook their heads with varying intensity.

The butler drew in a deep breath, rubbing one of his legs. “Master Daniel, what you saw made you believe your sister was guilty from the start, and that was your focus. Correct?” The boy gave a hesitant nod. “And Master Benjamin, you saw something entirely different, didn’t you?”

“Yeah,” Benji muttered.

“Why did neither of you consider asking Molly what happened?”

“What if she lied?” Danny said.

Percy met the gaze of a pouting Molly. He rested a hand on her back. “Did you tell the truth?”

Molly nodded insistently, her eyes wide and pleading.

Danny said, “She just doesn’t want to get punished.”

“Master Daniel, revenge is unbecoming of a gentleman. I know about yesterday’s ball incident in the library.”

Danny averted his eyes, wiping his sleeve across his nose.

Percy said, “I know young miss Molly is telling the truth because I saw it happen. I was on my way to snatch her away, but I was too late. When I heard you boys coming, I let the scene play out. And do you know what I saw?”

The two boys pretended the rug was currently the most intriguing object in the room. 

Percy cleared his throat and said, “In life, we will all draw our own conclusions for the actions of others. The state of your heart depends on how you respond. Kindness must be your default. Master Daniel.” Percy’s tone gained an edge that lifted the boy’s eyes. “I was disappointed to see you delight in the idea of your sister being punished instead of worrying that she may have been hurt.”

“But, that...she broke it.” Danny’s eyes caught the sunlight, shimmering with building emotion.

“She did, but it was an accident.”

“Told you,” Benji said under his breath. Danny poked him with his elbow.

“And master Benjamin.” The boy stiffened. “Your response was better, but you still saw only what you wanted. I admire your kind heart, but assuming the best can be dangerous also. The truth is the only thing that matters. So where is the truth here?”

Each child exchanged glances, pointedly avoiding the gaze of the butler.

“Well,” Danny said, “the vase broke.”

Percy nodded. “Yes, that is one fact.”

“And it was Molly’s fault.”

“Also fact.”

Molly tensed, but Percy’s words were still as calm as the surface of an undisturbed lake.

Benji’s hands found the floor. He leaned closer. “Molly saved the kitten and wasn’t hurt.”

After a gradual nod, Percy said. “Exactly so. Master Daniel, you especially need to keep your emotions under control. Throughout your life journey, others will try to persuade you to believe this way and that. Do you know what will make you a great man like your Pop?”

The pinch around Danny’s eyes grew deeper when he shrugged.

Molly said, “Poppa never lies.”

“He is honest indeed,” Percy said. “And would he be concerned more about a vase or about you children?”

“Us,” Danny mumbled.

Benji said, “And he’s always nice.”

Percy chuckled. “Also true. His kindness and love for others is what sets him apart from other men. All this—” Percy stretched out his hands to indicate the original paintings in their ornate frames, the imported antique furnishings, and the elaborate chandelier. “He knows it has no true value. But you boys? And Molly here? He even treats me as one of the family. That is what matters. He could buy one thousand other vases, but replacing you?”

Percy grinned as he lighted a pale finger on Danny’s nose. The boy smiled and shook it away. Molly giggled, jumping to her feet. She reached down to attempt to help Percy off the floor. The boys pulled as well, all sharing the exuberance of the finally completed task when the man stood.

Smiling down at them all, Percy said, “You’ll all be blessed rays of sunshine if you remember these words. Now”—he took Molly’s tiny hand in his—“shall we confess to your mother that she never has to complain about that deplorable old vase again?”



October 23, 2020 01:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Ben Rounds
23:21 Dec 24, 2021

Hello Lydi, I left a comment intended to reach you on another story, but I'm not sure if Reedsy will ding you since it wasn't your source material. If they did, I apologize for the repeat message, if not, well... To keep it short, I was a slush pile reader for Grey Gecko press and enjoy reading new, longer works by authors of at least some quality. You mentioned that you write novels and are open to cross critiquing and writing buddies? If my work is the sort that you enjoy then I too enjoy projects and editing. Let me know if you are in...

Reply

Lydi B
18:45 Dec 30, 2021

Hello, Ben. Thanks for reaching out, and apologies for the delay. Travels and holidays. I would love to swap stories if you have a novel in need of an outside eye. Right now, I'm set to query a romance/light urban fantasy next month. It's already been through one crit partner, but I do have a paranormal series and a romance I wrote for NaNo. Not sure if those would interest you. What novels do you have in the works? Are you trying to get published yourself? I don't think Reedsy has a chat system, so maybe communicating over email or Discord ...

Reply

Ben Rounds
14:16 Dec 31, 2021

Cool. I have 4 or 5 finished novels, none published, alas; YA, dystopian, murder mystery, fantasy and, the only one I occasionally submit, and not very often at that, horror with coming of age lesbian overtones. One of the Reedsy judges invited me to submit to her publishing house re an indie authors anthology that they publish annually, so I have one short story out in the world (Not happy with the way they edited, but that's another rant entirely). The horror I would, actually, like to get an opinion on, even just the first handful of pag...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dede K.
16:14 Oct 29, 2020

I enjoyed the concept of this story, as well as the dialogue of the children. This was fluid and easy to read- which I always appreciate. I plan on reading your other pieces.

Reply

Lydi B
17:57 Nov 01, 2020

Much appreciated! I would love to hear whatever comments you have on my other stories as well. I'll check out Dramatic Love and do the same.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.