0 comments

Fiction Suspense Mystery

Do you know the saying; I feel like I have walked in someone else’s shoes. Let me tell you about this incident, of consciously viewing from another person’s eyes. When I close my eyes; I can see a whole new place, a home, a park, or a coffee shop away from where I am at the moment.

Now I had never brought this up before other than to tell you this story. Someone would place me here permanently in a hospital room with locked hallway doors in the Mental Health and Addictions Unit. Where I have been once before, but I could not tell them everything that was going on. I didn’t want them to think I was strange. I have a terrible memory. Think about something and in one second it’s gone. So, this experience I like to keep to myself. But today I will share my occurrences.

One day I was relaxing in my chair in front of my window, watching people walk by. Wondering what they are thinking? How their day is going? I could see if they felt happy or troubled about something going on in their lives. At one point I closed my eyes and instead of seeing just darkness, I could see shadows moving around, people talking.

When I opened my eyes to see if anyone was standing in front of me. I got up to look outside my doorway. The hallway was clear. Everyone was on the other side of the doors, waiting for evening snack time to arrive. That’s how I would know what time it was at eight in the evening. Everybody lined up waiting for the sandwiches to be given out. I just stood outside my door, feeling like I couldn’t comprehend what was going on with my eyes. Walking back to my armchair to relax and close my eyes to meditate.

It happened again. This time I could see the nurse’s station, where they did their paperwork. I see one blind hair male trying to get a nurse’s attention. It took a few knocks on the window. Then asked, “Hi, Can I have a piece of paper.” he asked. She handed him what he asked for. He said, “Thank you.”

“Your welcome.” the nurse said, then she shut the window.

I opened my eyes after I watched him walking back to his room. My view was from me standing near the doors that separate the staff area from ours. So, I haven’t figured out yet who’s eyes I am seeing out of at this moment. Is the man aware I can see from his view? It all seems very complicated. I will figure this out eventually and sighed. I thought as I opened my eyes, going back to looking out my room window.

Sitting here contemplating on what to do and how to go about figuring everything out. Went over to my bed, climbed on to read a book. Trying to not think about things; not worry about it right now. Maybe after I read a few chapters in the book “Drawing of the Three” by Stephen King. Then I fell asleep.

When I woke up to find the book on the bed. Staring reading again until they dropped lunch off. I finished one chapter. Which was great kept my mind from overthinking. Especially about this new eyesight phenomenon. I really do not know what else to call it. It’s weird, but I will have to get used to it. I wondered why today I had noticed it. After that though, I picked up my burger and took a bite. Must say hospital food isn’t all that bad. It’s nice being taken care of. They bring you your medication and food. It’s a pleasant change from doing things for yourself. Sitting and drinking my coffee, I realized I could keep a journal while having this other persons’ sight.

I went to the desk and asked them for a pencil and some paper. Once I was in my room, closed the door and start writing everything out. I closed my eyes again to see what he was seeing. The next thing I saw was a female coming closer to me. I opened my eyes to see if she was actually in front of me. “Oh well, of course, she is not here,” I said out loud to myself.

I went back to see what the relationship was between them. I could see her smiling. “Hi Rodger, what is going on?”

“Nothing much. Just sitting here relaxing. Do you want to watch some tv with me, Anna?” Rodger asked.

“Sure, I will go get the remote,” Anna answered.

I watched her get up to walk to the window at the nurse’s station. When Anna came back, she turned on the tv and asked, “What are you in the mood for? Oh, I know what we can watch, the Olympics.” she stated.

“Sure, that sounds like fun. It has been a while since I have watched some good sporting events. Thank you for asking.” Rodger expressed smiling.

I was laying in bed waiting for the TV to be turned on. “Oh, this is too much. I can actually see the swimming pool. This is really cool.” I thought to myself. I wonder if he can see my life when his eyes are closed? How would I ever bring this up? I hope it just stops on its own. What’s going to happen when I go to sleep? Maybe nothing because he will be asleep or so I hope.

I wonder if other people have noticed this happen to them. Living life with your eyes closed and still be able to see what another human is doing in life from their perspective. It’s intriguing for some people, I am sure. What a money market that this could be.

All it would take is for one of us to say something. Would we have the guts? It’s weird how I don’t have Rodger’s words coming out of my mouth. But to have his view. I think it’s incredible and I will keep saying it if I have to. A person would never feel alone again. Just knowing that someone is around to comfort me as I grow up. I am only twenty-five.

As I closed my eyes to fall asleep and no one was there. I sat up with a worried feeling, not knowing what to do. I grabbed my pillow and hugged it. Feeling alone again in this life to figure things out and learn what I do not know.

 I could never explain what happened. Maybe it wasn’t real. I will never know.

August 06, 2021 03:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.