0 comments

African American Fantasy Fiction

The Shoe Queen

Text Box: My left Shoe:
My left shoe is what the ad said:
Looking for the right shoe’s size 9.5 female
Not a fetish; I’m a veteran who left my left leg on the battlefield
Reagan-nomic costs many people more than me a worse fate
Not bitter, though have too many beautiful shoes going to waste
Looking to start an exchange program with others
I work at the Veteran’s hospital two days a week, and my coworkers can help us trade
No matter the size, I want to help everyone in this position 
Project Usable Shoes!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How many pairs of shoes did you give away? When? Yesterday. Only ten, but I cleaned out the closet last month when my sister and her godmother visited; they both took home five pairs. Ma, you have a problem! No, you are about to have a problem if you talk about my shoes. I moved almost all of the store inventory to the storage unit, and now it’s jammed-packed, but I will not bring the shoes back to your house: thirty years and the same complaints, too many shoes. You are getting on my nerves. I understand my shoe store idea doesn’t interest you, but I’m onto something useful to many. I don’t care if I don’t get rich doing this.

Too many veterans worldwide have only three pairs of shoes: 1) one pair of black dress, 2) simple sneakers, and 3) some combat boots, all issued by Uncle Sam. That is okay when Uncle Sam dictates your every move, job, and daily thoughts. When the government no longer employs you, you will need more than just three essential pairs. No matter the type of shoes, you’re looking at $40 or better for adults and teens per pair. Many veterans have families.

Don’t get me started on the amputees, with one new shoe in the closet and the other fading or getting dirty from consistent use. Why can’t there be an exchange store? My job at the VA hospital and my love of shoes make me the perfect person to do this. Yes, I do sometimes buy shoes with upcoming events in mind. How often will you have to choose between getting your daughters ready for the prom or paying the light bill? When a father who faced that situation tried to figure it out, I asked him to volunteer to get the storage unit looking like a store, and that is how we got started. Unfortunately, so many people have the same problem at least three times a year: Christmas, birthdays, and the beginning of the school year. Everyone with children will encounter similar issues at least once. It is often easier for a civilian to seek handouts. Veterans are very proud people, proud of the opportunity to serve the country, but sometimes too embarrassed to admit needing help. Also, I think sometimes things should be given to those who freely give themselves.

Project Usable Shoes was born from an ad four months ago. We only ask the users to donate their gently worn shoes back to the program and to bring in their other shoes left or right when borrowing another. They won't be turned away if they can’t afford to purchase. Most people who use our program will leave a tip in a jar on the counter. I don’t know who donated the counter or the jar, but we have about 70 dollars donated daily. I suspect it is the policeman that works this beat. He lost two brothers in the 80s in the Iran Contra Affair. Coincidentally his name is Rian; it’s his surname.

Yes, I can spend all day shopping for more shoes. I was in the Army for twenty years and only wore four pairs of shoes. I wore a black dress, running shoes, combat boots, or nursing clogs. I began looking to replace a particular pair of shoes from my younger life, but then I realized shoe shopping was relaxing. I shop for babies 0-12 months, children 1-5, and adults 6-15. Some people come to me with requests when they can’t find what they want. Those with requests know they must pay at least 75% and donate time, shoes, or both.

 Usually, I can find most people’s requests. Once, I was asked to find a set of 6’4’’ triplets matching size 14 Stacey Adams for prom. After searching all my “go-to big and tall” shops, I convinced them to wear the same style in different colors. Although they were dressed in the same pattern, one wore a blue tux will matching blue shoes. Another did black and the other white. That was the first time they had dressed as individuals.

As early as the fifth grade, I had priorities, and shoes were number one to me. My mom took me school shopping; she told me to look for four outfits. I found three pairs of shoes and then looked for pants, blouses, and skirts. One Saturday afternoon, mom gave me $30 for dad’s socks, two brassieres, and notebooks; in my defense, the socks were on sale, so I had to get the cute shoes screaming, “buy me! “

Some people would say I hoard shoes, but I don’t think so. I share, give them away and sell them. A hoarder has to have them. It’s a possession thing for hoarders. I might hoard a little because I cannot pass up a sale. If a big store lets go of their last season’s stuff or hard-to-find merchandise, I jump on it. I don’t mind being called a hoarder by my clients. I will admit that I may never wear every pair of shoes in my closet, but doesn’t every woman deserve choices?

I don’t remember when I got the Shoe Queen nickname; my mother’s baby sister and my shoe-loving aunt got killed. I didn’t know how to get the family back from that loss, but it was about the tenth grade. I do remember that it wasn’t meant to be flattering. I have always loved shoes from the 30s,40s, 50s, and 60s. My aunt Peggy used to let me play dress up in her shoe room. YES, to a young girl, a walk-in closet with shelves to the ceiling lined pointy-toed boots in several different colors, kitten-heeled dressy ones in all colors, sensible church 2’’ heels, and many work flats. As mom accepted aunt Peggy’s absence, she slowly gave me her shoe collection and told me the stories attached. Although ten years apart, they shared a love of shoes and bought matching pairs almost every time.

So, call me a hoarder…It’s a family thing!


February 14, 2023 03:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.