Get Even

Submitted into Contest #7 in response to: Write a story infused with dark humor.... view prompt

1 comment

Funny

“What about the homework, Magnus?”

“Well, I trust you are more than capable of finishing it after we come back from the party, Agatha,” Magnus says, holding the third lipstick, rolls her eyes, inspects herself in the mirror, applies. “How do I look?” “Hideous.” “Now, now it’s not the time to sulk. Oh, you’re right though,” Magnus rummages the vanity drawer for the ideal lipstick color for the evening.

“Magnus, Magnus! Look at me, we have finals tomorrow!” Agatha’s on the verge of tears, she’s always been the responsible one, and for the life of her, she can’t imagine how Magnus can be so unreasonable. “I will be exhausted.”

“Leave it to me. I will handle the party and you’ll just take the backseat.” A wink to Agatha, turning back to apply the fourth one, “as usual.”

“Ok, but don’t blame me when our parents discover we are not in bed by 10, and the homework’s not going to be finished, which is more than 90% likely, and we flunk out of school which seems I’m the only one who cares around here!”

“Just pick something to wear, and not that ugly twig jacket you always wore. Sometimes I think you don’t want to make any friends or have any fun! You wanna die a lonely old maid like Ms. Wonka? I’m trying,” Magnus finally turns around to face Agatha, putting her hand on Agatha’s shoulders in an effort in convincing her of the depth of her sincerity, “to help you live.”

“I guess.” Agatha signs, “But FYI, Ms. Wonka has a very active social life, you are just not interested in getting to know her better. I’ve ….”

“Ok, ok, gosh, I’m sure it’s all very interesting to you. Just pick something that doesn’t signal to everyone in the party that you don’t belong there and before you know it, the party will be over.” Looks at Agatha’s first choice, screams in horror, “NOOO! You DO NOT want to be mistaken for someone’s mother! I will NOT be there for that!!” Agatha cracks a mischievous smile.

——

The party’s in full swing when Agatha and Magnus arrived.

“Told you not to wear that dress, Magnus, it was for Halloween! For Chris’sake.” Agatha finally quips. 

“Oh, my Gosh! Is that Megan? She’s so fab! I like, like everything about her. Let’s go over!” 

Agatha rolls her eyes while being dragged, “Fine, but remember, no alcohol! I need to finish the homework tonight.” 

“Yeh, whatevs.” 

“Don’t whatevs me! It’s your life too…” 

“And I’m living it for the both of us! Look, Agatha, I have you here because we have to go everywhere together! That doesn’t mean I like you. At all.” Magnus doesn’t wait to see Agatha’s reaction before turning around, continuing her walk towards Megan and her cohorts.

“It’s not fair, Magnus,” Agatha mutters, “this is not the life I want.”

———

“Hey, you are the book nerd from class C.” Someone looks vaguely familiar says.

“That’s me.” Agatha replies unenthusiastically.

“So, Megan, did you get the dancing role you applied for? I saw your tweet.” Magnus comes to the rescue.

“Why, of course, she got it!” Another older-looking guy volunteers for Megan’s voice-over, “just loooook at her, who wouldn’t wanna see her dance? I know I would, am I right?”

“I don’t like this Magnus.” “Shut up, Agatha, we are making major friends here.” “No, we are not!”

“Say, bookworm,” Megan turns to Agatha, to Magnus’ horror, “What do you like about school?”

“Everything, am I right?” Magnus is desperate for Megan's attention.

“Well, I like the fact that we are getting quality education and the teachers are not overly strict. For example, they allowed you guys to put out posters about this party without alerting any of our parents.” Some nodding heads. “Barrf!” Magnus chimes in.

“Also, I like my classmates, like you, who are driven and creative. I like the poster you did for this party, Megan. I like all your posters. I’m sure your cat likes the way you present it.” Agatha says sincerely. “Kiss ass,” Magnus coughs.

“This is boring,” the older-looking guy says, faking a yawn, “I know, it’s because we are not drinking!” “Yehhhh!” Others cheer and many commotions while they are jumping around grabbing their stash. Some proudly display their pipes.

“It’s ok, bookworm, you don’t have to join us. You know, I do like that poem you wrote, the one you read to the whole school on Wednesday. Can you send me a copy?” Megan looks at Agatha seriously.

“Yes, of course. Just give me your number.” Agatha plays it cool.

“But Agatha, you hated that you have to read to the whole school remember? I’m the one who…” Magnus is inconsolable by this point, but Agatha does not pay her any attention, for once.

———

After Megan made Agatha read another one of her poems, without Magnus’ help, thank you very much, Magnus is the one close to tears.

“This sucks, I wanna go home.” She says.

“But what about living our lives, Magnus?” Agatha asks.

“Just remember who’s the one that dragged us out to the party!” Magnus hisses.

Agatha’s attention though is somewhere else. Out of the corner of her eyes, she sees Megan’s getting unsteady from the booze and the smokes. Something tells her to go with Megan when a couple of guys, including the older-looking one, try to carry her to one of the back rooms. Nobody else’s paying attention, they are either wasted or getting there.

“Magnus! Let’s check on Megan. Something’s not right.”

“You can’t make me!”

“Magnus! I need your help! I think something’s wrong!”

“OMG! It’s a party!”, signs, “Alright, alright, let me just take a couple selfies, then…”

“There’s no time!”

“Alright!”, hesitates, “Ok, take the camera out, and start filming, like, you are doing a school documentary on the fun-and-safe parties or whatever.” Magnus collects her wits.

“Thanks, Magnus. I will need your acting skill now.”

“No sweat.”

They are there just in time, the older-looking guys are trying to take off Megan’s clothes while she is close to unconsciousness. Magnus plays it cool, acting like she’s drunk, but makes it clear that she’s recording while speaking loudly to attract attention. That spooks the guys who know they are doing something wrong, and they push Magnus aside while exiting the room, then the house. Magnus makes sure she takes ample videos with those guys’ faces bright and clear.

“Phew!”

“Yeh! You can say that again, Agatha. I think this is my last time going to any parties.”

“We saved a friend though!”

“Yeh, that we did!”

“High five!” “High five!”

Amanda, the bookworm, the inspiring actor and poet, high-fives herself. Then she guards her new friend while she sleeps.

September 21, 2019 00:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Juliet Tullett
07:44 Jul 02, 2021

This is a good story about an important subject but I found the characters a bit confusing. Some description of their physical attributes might help readers to fix them in our minds and tell them appart

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.