Kenzie's Lament

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story about someone feeling powerless.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama

 Kenzie’s Lament

Kenzie Hernandez was simply a beautiful girl. She had perfect features, a killer body that she didn’t have to work for and the pouty look that drove men crazy. But she also had a brain and ambition. She was talented and clever. But none of the boys saw this. All they saw was her voluptuous body and pretty, chiseled face.

It was tiresome. The boys called her the ‘Milk Wagon,’ and the ‘Milk Truck.’ They called her a ‘slice of Spanish Heaven.’ She was repulsed by all the boys in school because they were all pigs.

There had been rumours about her attending a party that had only boys there and she had done a striptease for them and then had performed numerous sex acts with all six guys.  

The girl was furious and had located the source of the outrageous lie and had dragged his sorry ass to the school sound system where he was forced to apologize about the lie and declare that none of it had happened to the entire student body. The principal approved and made sure it happened. Then the guy was suspended from school. 

It was horrible and nobody ever asked her to a dance because they were afraid to get rejected. None of the guys knew how to talk to her properly as they were so enchanted with her beauty that they forgot that she was human.

All she needed was someone to talk to and be nice. No comment on her large breasts, the great wiggle in her ass when she walked down the hallway or the fact that she could be a swimsuit model. She didn’t want to hear about the wild sex they wanted to have with her, the orgies and the endless talk about doing bad things.

All she wanted was one simple guy. He didn’t have to be super great looking. He didn’t have to be super intelligent or super athletic. He didn’t have to be anything but normal.  

But there was nobody there,  

She was tired of being called the ‘student body’. There were whispers every tine she walked down the hallway.  

“I wish I was ugly. I wish I was the ugliest girl in the whole world and then all the boys would leave me alone.”

But she knew that was not true.

Hilda Morgan was a very unfortunate girl because she was ugly. There was no other way of saying it. The girl was just plain homely. There wasn’t a plastic surgeon on the planet that could have saved her from a lifetime of ugliness.

Hilda secretly envied and hated Kenzie.  

Kenzie secretly envied Hilda in some ways.

The two never talked.

Kenzie realized that the catcalls and the whispers and rumours would never stop. The idea of getting a boyfriend would be out because there would be so much pressure on the guy with everyone asking if she had put out that it would be horrible. Besides, there was no one that she really liked.

One of the pretty girls in school, Meaghan Henderson had a boyfriend and the guy had started rumours about them having sex which had not happened. The girl was ashamed and almost quit school.

Kenzie sighed as she went from class to class trying to ignore the rude stares and the crude little jokes. At lunchtime, she usually ate alone in a corner and tried to look busy and as if she didn’t care.

One day, someone had thrown a French fry at her and she had looked up to see who it was. The projectile had come from a table of rude guys; they were all pigs. One of them would be implicated in the sex night that had never happened.

She glared at them and they looked the other way trying not to laugh. 

She went back to reading her book and was waiting for one more French fry to be hurled at her, but it never happened.

Just before the bell rang, she grabbed the French fry and dropped it in the one guy’s drink.

“I think you lost this asshole.”

He tried to fish it out of his drink to throw it at her but Mr. Grogan was present and that guy was a dude you didn’t mess around with.

Some of the teachers were even rude to her. Mr. Calder often stared at her in a way that made her feel very uncomfortable. Mr. Forger also stared at her and smiled not a friendly smile, but with the idea of sex thoughts dancing deliciously in his head. He was another pig.

The girl felt powerless to stop the insanity.

Sometimes girls went down the dark road and killed themselves over the fact that life was too difficult. Kenzie had never thought about committing suicide. It was not a path to take.

But if she could only get the boys off her back once and for all she would not feel so powerless.

One day, she was in English class and Mrs. Turner rattled on about Romeo and Juliet. Kenzie liked the story and thought it was so tragic. She liked comedies better something that made her laugh.

“The love that a boy can have for a girl and that a girl can have for a boy is one of the most powerful motivators and forces in the world.”

Kenzie looked at the teacher and had a thought in her head.

She smiled and put her head down.

When she got home, she looked through some old photos that her father had kept. They were from his days in a Mariachi band and one of the boys was super handsome. The picture wasn’t ancient and she knew she could pull this off.

She took a picture and then created a profile on social media. The next day at school she turned the place upside down.

“Hey, look this is my boyfriend from Mexico. Isn’t he dreamy?”

She showed girls that she never talked to. She showed it to a lot of the boys. The girl was radiant and everyone believed her.

“Lucky bastard,” exclaimed one of the boys that had tormented the girl.

“Kenzie has a boyfriend.” It was the headline of the day.

All the guys were disappointed and depressed.

“This is why I was never interested in any of the guys in school, because I had this guy back home.”

It worked.  

The whispers stopped and the catcalls and the rude staring.

Suddenly, she started to enjoy high school. It was no longer a torture chamber.

At lunch, she was invited to sit with a bunch of girls that had never really bothered with her. She accepted the offer generously.

The real reason that they had asked her to sit with them was to raise their profile because none of the girls were beauties. And, two, they were jealous of her and curious about this boyfriend.

Every day they pumped the innocent girl for information.

“So how is your boyfriend doing?”

“He is doing fine.”

“How come you never told us about him before?”

“Well, before I left Mexico, we had a huge fight and broke up. So he wasn’t my boyfriend.”

“Oh, okay.”

“But now that we are back together again life is grand.”

She smiled and all of the girls smiled back most of then through gritted teeth.

Kenzie walked with confidence down the hallway and there were no longer whispers. She was just another face in the hallway.

She no longer felt powerless. Her imaginary boyfriend was her hero.

But then the ruse came crashing down. A new girl had started school and knew Kenzie from back in Mexico. The girl Rhonda Lopez laughed when she heard that Kenzie had a boyfriend. 

“She never had a boyfriend back in Mexico. All the boys were too shy or scared to ask her out. This includes my brother that fantasized about her all the time.”

After this, there was an avalanche of unwanted attention. The boys were like dogs in heat and would not leave the girl alone.  

She barely survived the onslaught.

And then she decided to fight fire with fire. She started to dress like a tart and winked and flirted with all of the boys.  

None of them knew what to say. Even the guys that bragged about all these girls they had been with (all lies), were completely intimidated. Of course, she never took any of them up on their advances.

But, she realized that this was not the way. So she dropped the tart act and decided to just be herself. She was very uncomfortable trying to pretend to be something that she wasn’t.  

The whispers started up again. The catcalls and the rude staring returned.

The girl felt powerless again.

September 11, 2020 21:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.